The TideRunner

CT Pike

16 posts in this topic

Its beginning to look as though we won't be getting a good freeze here in CT this winter, so I may want to get an earlier than usual start fishing by targeting northerns. Caught a few in my life, but usually while bass fishing. Other than shiners, what should I have in my tackle bag is I'm targeting pike exclusively. Already have the mandatory daredevils, and 5 of diamonds. What next?

Spinnerbaits have always worked well for me. Use a chartreuse or white skirt. Loud colors seem to work better. Spinnerbaits are mostly all I use for pike. Just after ice out I will often throw larger Husky Jerks. Chartreuse, fire tiger and clown work best for me.

I saw a pike/tiger musky kill an adult female mallard last week!  

So maybe a floating decoy rigged with some trebels!:shrug:

2nd time I've seen this happen. Except the 1st time it was a duckling.   

Both sights were spectacular to say the least.  

i fished the CT river for pike quite a bit years ago. other then the live and dead baits, did the best with sluggo/ super flukes.Followed by husky jerks, shads, spoons and spinners.99% of the time it was sluggos and super flukes, 

Posted (edited)

The problem I have with winter or early season open water Pike is the follow and reluctance to take. Only occasionally will they take. Slow it down, no interest. Will try suspending cranks and add a pause. 

Edited by The Riddler

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

The problem I have with winter or early season open water Pike is the follow and reluctance to take. Only occasionally will they take. Slow it down, no interest. Will try suspending cranks and add a pause. 

Try going small with the baits.  Seems like in the colder water the esox will take tiny stuff more readily 

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I hope this is the right video, I didn't have time to rewatch it. It should have some good shots of how he fishes the lures in the winter.

Depending on what the bottom looks like, a simple bucktail with a plastic worm trailer can do very well in cold water.

Fish it as if you were looking for weakfish; let it sink to the bottom, and bring it back slowly, in short hops, always keeping it right next to the bottom.

That doesn't work if you've got a lot of wood on the bottom; all you'll catch is dead trees.  But if you've got the kind of gravel/small stone/weedbed edge habitat that I find in upstate New York lakes, it works very well.  

On 1/23/2023 at 10:11 PM, The TideRunner said:

Its beginning to look as though we won't be getting a good freeze here in CT this winter, so I may want to get an earlier than usual start fishing by targeting northerns. Caught a few in my life, but usually while bass fishing. Other than shiners, what should I have in my tackle bag is I'm targeting pike exclusively. Already have the mandatory daredevils, and 5 of diamonds. What next?

my PB of 42" was on a beachmaster danny :th:

1 hour ago, EBHarvey said:

my PB of 42" was on a beachmaster danny :th:

My best was over 40" on gibbs 3oz pencil popper saw a bigger one get taken on an umbrella rig on wire in Essex  on the river

6 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Try going small with the baits.  Seems like in the colder water the esox will take tiny stuff more readily 

6 hours ago, RWP said:

I hope this is the right video, I didn't have time to rewatch it. It should have some good shots of how he fishes the lures in the winter.

Great advice guys appreciate the video. At one time I use to carry a 4" storm in firetiger. If I don't order it I never have it in game time. 

Another thought on early season CT Rivers is the debris fields on a release. The Housy I have heard of Pike, never caught one. Got the Hobie drive one more than one occasion get caught up in the spring with half trees. Actually destroyed both masts one night. I have tried to hit up the famous Pike spots in CT but always have some obstacle that comes around. 
Best I did was Salmon River but it was there I had a lot of drive by Pike.