Computer Help

Rate this topic

shbeachbum

My fishing buddy has a problem. He has been using Chrome and then he could not get onto his bank, credit card co. etc. I showed him MS Edge and it works. Question-- after running Norton scans, Windows anti virus, reinstalling Chrome and System Mechanics , Chrome still does not work. What would cause this problem? If MS Edge works why wouldn't Chrome work? At my wits end. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Mike

17 mins ago, shbeachbum said:

Windows 10. Chrome up to date and cookies, browser history etc. cleaned out. Can't figure it out.

Is window's 10 up to date too? Recently there is a chrome vulnerability issue with chrome that that got patched, and lots of stuff went wacky for me too. I went and use firefox to bypass the issue for a little while. Some site start working in chrome again but some still wacky and chrome is blocking it due to certificate errors. There are some pointers you can google to clear the certificates for chome and re-obtain them again.

Edited by foxfai

6 hours ago, foxfai said:

Is window's 10 up to date too? Recently there is a chrome vulnerability issue with chrome that that got patched, and lots of stuff went wacky for me too. I went and use firefox to bypass the issue for a little while. Some site start working in chrome again but some still wacky and chrome is blocking it due to certificate errors. There are some pointers you can google to clear the certificates for chome and re-obtain them again.

There are some pointers you can google to clear the certificates for chome and re-obtain them again.  I don't understand what pointers are. Please explain.

8 mins ago, shbeachbum said:

There are some pointers you can google to clear the certificates for chome and re-obtain them again.  I don't understand what pointers are. Please explain.

•  

• From the 3-dot menu (upper, far right), click "Settings". This opens a new tab.

• Just to reduce variables, I closed all other tabs.

• In the "Settings" tab, select "Privacy and security".

• Choose "Clear browsing data -- Clear history, cookies, cache, and more"

• In the "Clear browsing data" pop-up panel, put a check-mark at "Site Settings". Probably you can make everything else unchecked. (Note that if you don't uncheck "Cached images and files," it can take the computer several minutes to handle that task. So, uncheck it.)

• Click the "Clear data" button.

• When that task finishes, I recommend shutting down Chrome, and restarting it.

14 hours ago, shbeachbum said:

Thanks. I will do this on my buddy's lap top tomorrow.

Try that first. There could be different/bigger issue. But I don't see is a big problem if he can access the same website via other browsers. Check to make sure his windows is updated. 

8 hours ago, foxfai said:

Try that first. There could be different/bigger issue. But I don't see is a big problem if he can access the same website via other browsers. Check to make sure his windows is updated. 

Didn't get a chance to get to his pc today. I forwarded your email to him but did not hear back. I'll keep you posted.  Mike

On 1/24/2023 at 0:58 PM, foxfai said:

Fox  just to give you an update---we tried everything but nothing corrected the Chrome problem. A couple days ago, we got an update notice from System Mechanics. We both installed the update and low and behold his problem was gone. I did not have a problem now but months ago I was in the same boat. I was bitching to my bank and they said nothing changed. Once I installed an update from System Mechanics my problem was gone. Why it affected him and not me this time I cannot explain.  Thanks for all your effort and if you use System Mechanics keep this episode in your memory banks.   Mike 

2 hours ago, shbeachbum said:

Fox  just to give you an update---we tried everything but nothing corrected the Chrome problem. A couple days ago, we got an update notice from System Mechanics. We both installed the update and low and behold his problem was gone. I did not have a problem now but months ago I was in the same boat. I was bitching to my bank and they said nothing changed. Once I installed an update from System Mechanics my problem was gone. Why it affected him and not me this time I cannot explain.  Thanks for all your effort and if you use System Mechanics keep this episode in your memory banks.   Mike 

Why are you guys running system mechanics....?:headscratch:

Get a Mac and leave Norton scans, anti virus and every other PC nightmare on the trash heap of home computers. why anybody would do their banking on the horribly unsecure and easily hackable systems of a PC, or worse, an android phone, is beyond me. I’m no computer tech wizard but all of my troubles and the need for a computer technician ended the day I stomped the ever loving crap out of my last PC. 

1 min ago, shbeachbum said:

How else is there to keep your registry etc. clean ? 

Normally you shouldn't worry about something mess up your registry unless you are using 3rd party software and alters the registry in a way to benefit them. Some antivirus and defender software also does that and block things that doesn't need to be blocked(in your friend's case) and takes up memory thus bogs down system.

I am not saying not to use one. But use like Windows Defender, AVG or Avast (tho I am starting to move way from this) are still widely known good and simple antivirus to use.  

But to an average person that just use their computer for web surfing, checking emails, photo/video edits shouldn't have to worry about their registry in windows 10.

On 1/26/2023 at 10:21 PM, foxfai said:

Normally you shouldn't worry about something mess up your registry unless you are using 3rd party software and alters the registry in a way to benefit them. Some antivirus and defender software also does that and block things that doesn't need to be blocked(in your friend's case) and takes up memory thus bogs down system.

I am not saying not to use one. But use like Windows Defender, AVG or Avast (tho I am starting to move way from this) are still widely known good and simple antivirus to use.  

But to an average person that just use their computer for web surfing, checking emails, photo/video edits shouldn't have to worry about their registry in windows 10.

Fox-as of today all is working fine. If it works don't fix it.  Mike