lostinthewash

I'll stick to the beach

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

Used to spend alot of nights on a jetty in SoMoCo that we called the JOD- Jetty of Death.  Incredibly scary scramble to get to the tip, but there was a massive underwater boulder field that always held better fish.   
There was one rock that was at an angle and if you didnt get on and off it quickly to the next one you would end up “skiing” down it in your korkers into a giant hole.  Probably a 6 foot drop onto more rocks.   I ended up down in the hole once at night trying to climb myself out.   I dont think i would ever attempt it again.  

2 hours ago, bido said:

Used to spend alot of nights on a jetty in SoMoCo that we called the JOD- Jetty of Death.  Incredibly scary scramble to get to the tip, but there was a massive underwater boulder field that always held better fish.   
There was one rock that was at an angle and if you didnt get on and off it quickly to the next one you would end up “skiing” down it in your korkers into a giant hole.  Probably a 6 foot drop onto more rocks.   I ended up down in the hole once at night trying to climb myself out.   I dont think i would ever attempt it again.  

Is that the one with the jacks? If so psa for the new guys korkers will slide right on that surface and is not recommended. 

1 hour ago, adams54 said:

Is that the one with the jacks? If so psa for the new guys korkers will slide right on that surface and is not recommended. 

No not the inlet.  But yeah those jacks are very hard. 

9 mins ago, bido said:

No not the inlet.  But yeah those jacks are very hard. 

Gotcha. When I hear jetty of death, holes, sliding, and 6' drops the inlet one immediately comes to mind.  One time I almost slid my way directly into the inlet.  That was dumb.

Truth is some guys continously crush it on the open beach. Some guys know a bunch of jettys like the back of their hand and crush constantly. Even a smaller percentage can do both. The other 95% argue about it online....

Got hit with a rogue wave on the south jetty of the inlet …. There was surf bags on the concrete  base of the tower and they were floating away …. Not a fan of jetty’s …. I will cast pass the jetty from the beach or around the jetty from the beech but I don’t climb on jetty’s or inlet rocks … a small cut from a jetty will get you a tetanus shot or 3 hours at the e r to get stitched up… a guy died on the jacks on the mannasquan not to long ago … be safe have fun 

You could just as easily get caught in a rip by a rogue wave and washed out to sea surf fishing. I retrieved a body during July one year where just that happened.

Guys die every year in NJ ice fishing…that doesn’t stop me. I also take small boats way offshore into big water. More people die on the drive home from work. If you’re too scared to live your life, just say that.

I went hunting with my uncle once, we drove down a wooded rioad and a sign said "bare left" so we turned around and went home

I came out of my mid winter slumber and read this thread. From what I can gather, rock fishing is dangerous/the best way to catch fish, kayak fishing can transform into water coffins, per @bido , (why would you fish in a kayak when those fish don't count!), what you would think is the safest form of fishing, working from the sand, can result in instant death from rogue waves, with you body washing up on the Azores, and the Army Corps of Engineers has designed death holes into the jetties they construct! It seems that fishing is the second most dangerous sport, surpassed only by sky diving without a parachute. It's about time I give up fishing and take up more sedate sports like javelin catching or playing shortstop without a mitt.

As an aside, the therapy that @RiverCommando215 has paid big bucks for is not working. In fact, the net effect is regressive!

@nam1969

Regressive as it may be, the co-pay is darn cheap!  I’m burning bridges one tide at a time!  Don’t let the shenanigans fool ya either.  I’m all business when it comes to the rocks.  
Im still waiting for my pro-staff card to be laminated!!!!

RC

How can you properly present a clambrella except from the rocks or a water coffin?