Ftyer

What to Expect from Connecticut?

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

On 1/27/2023 at 7:40 AM, Domf said:

Bridgeport gets hate. Bought a house in black rock to get near the water. No complaints. Food, bars, music, the shoreline- all in walking distance. 

95 traffic to and from the city is murder. I was still working around lower Westchester when we moved here. Numerous 3 hour rides home leaving Westchester at 3pm latest!!!!

Was an easy choice for us. Couldn't afford a place near the water anywhere else while still staying central to the NYC region. CT city taxes are extremely high and that's a whole mess, but it's a cost I'm willing to pay to live where I live

Live in Ffld.  Went to stress factory Sat. night in Bport for a comedy show.  Parked about 2 blocks away and walked into a bodega to get a lottery ticket.  No machine but the guy was so nice and started to walk around the counter to show me the package store who sold them.  A down on his luck looking guy heard me ask and said you have to go get them at that packie and when we walked outside he followed us out and pointed it out again.  We decided to get them at a gas station near home.  Crossed the street and there were 3 guys standing on the corner and they asked us if we were going to the comedy store.  We said yes and they said it is right there and point to it and have a great time.  My friend and wives all laughed and said people are friendlier here than in FFld. 

2 hours ago, Ftyer said:

I cannot thank you all enough, this is all very helpful information and you all have provided solid and diverse opinions. What a great place this forum is and I really appreciate how helpful everyone always is. 

I apologize for my delay in responding, but I was letting the comments marinate while prepping for the Edison fly show. 

@MakoMikefeel free to send me any info you may have on the listing, would love to see it. 

It’s not listed yet, probably in a week or two. You can probably find it on Zillow from when I bought the place ten years ago. Addy is 119 currituck rd. In Newtown, CT 06470.

On 1/27/2023 at 8:41 AM, Billybob said:

I grew up in Black Rock, right on Ash Creek, I loved it.

You must have been wet a lot back then, I mean growing up right on Ash Creek! Myself I grew up in the East End. Probably the most diverse neighborhood in Bridgeport at the time.

Lived not too far from Pleasure Beach. What a wasted jewel that is today. Cut my fishing teeth on the pier. Seined for shiners to go snapper fishing with. Went to Blessed Sacrament School. My folks kind of wasted their money on that. Went to Lincoln School first. I'm one of the few students in the world who can say I saw my school burn down. Unfortunately saw the Pleasure Beach Bridge burn down too.  I was certain we were going to fall through that bridge when driving over it. Before the fire that is.

8 hours ago, PaulS said:

Live in Ffld.  Went to stress factory Sat. night in Bport for a comedy show.  Parked about 2 blocks away and walked into a bodega to get a lottery ticket.  No machine but the guy was so nice and started to walk around the counter to show me the package store who sold them.  A down on his luck looking guy heard me ask and said you have to go get them at that packie and when we walked outside he followed us out and pointed it out again.  We decided to get them at a gas station near home.  Crossed the street and there were 3 guys standing on the corner and they asked us if we were going to the comedy store.  We said yes and they said it is right there and point to it and have a great time.  My friend and wives all laughed and said people are friendlier here than in FFld. 

Bridgeport people are for the most part, good like that. And they are damn proud of their city. Still plenty to do there. Downtown is having a very slow but well needed rebirth. And some of the houses throughout the city. I can only imagine them in their heyday. I wonder if the parrots or parakeets whatever they are still flying around down at St Mary's?

5 hours ago, Billybob said:

Parrots are still around, and I think Black Rock is nicer now than when I grew up there.

I never see the parrots when I take bike rides through there.  Use to have parrots around the corner from me until the nests got huge and the town cut them down.  Noisy birds.  BR is a nice area.  Good Rest. and bars.  St. Mary's is very nice. 

I used to work on Rt 1 and Ash Creek was at the back of the parking lot. Would catch stripers at lunch while the office watched. We’d walk to the ash creek salon for drinks afterwards. Not sure if it’s still there. Great spot with BR right down the road. 

28 mins ago, FlukeOff said:

I used to work on Rt 1 and Ash Creek was at the back of the parking lot. Would catch stripers at lunch while the office watched. We’d walk to the ash creek salon for drinks afterwards. Not sure if it’s still there. Great spot with BR right down the road. 

That clised a few years ago and now there's a barbecue restaurant there.

31 mins ago, PaulS said:

That clised a few years ago and now there's a barbecue restaurant there.

Is it good barbecue. If it is please share the name!! The only spot I’ve been down there lately is Mr Crabs.  Lots of fried seafood. Good. But not something you should do a lot of. I hear fried foods are bad for you. 

1 hour ago, PaulS said:

I never see the parrots when I take bike rides through there.  Use to have parrots around the corner from me until the nests got huge and the town cut them down.  Noisy birds.  BR is a nice area.  Good Rest. and bars.  St. Mary's is very nice. 

Don’t know if it was the towns that took the nests down. Maybe it was to keep the trees from falling. I do know the UI took the nests off their poles. Courts allowed them to do so on the grounds the parrots aren’t native wildlife. Was a huge population in Stratford nowhere near the coast. I know longer see them. And here in Milford, I haven’t seen the parrots in years. And we were loaded with them. Guess the UI got them. 

The name of the barbecue is Post oak barbecue. Weird that I haven't been there since I'm always trying to find Barbecue restaurants and

actually haven't talked to anyone who have been there.

The town definitely took the bird's nest down near my house . The nests were huge. Think like 10 by 20 each hanging off a Branch over the road.

BYRC in  Black rock is having a mardi gras Menu  Which I'm hoping to try. Bistro Basque in Milfords one of our favorite restaurants.

26424.jpeg

Edited by PaulS

My Gontonplace for barbecue is HooDoo Browns in Ridgefield. Worth the ride. Or I’ll fire up my smoker and smoke my own.

Never been to Bistro Basque.  I may have to try it.  The place next door. Strega. ( Italian for witch ). Is on my list owner is from my family’s home town. I have been to his deli. A discussion with him led to know his best friend in Italy has the same name as a great Uncle that never left.

To the OP of this thread. If you like to eat CT has that going for it Lots of good restaurants!  This may explain my ever growing waist line.

13 hours ago, The TideRunner said:

My Gontonplace for barbecue is HooDoo Browns in Ridgefield. Worth the ride. Or I’ll fire up my smoker and smoke my own.

Never been to Bistro Basque.  I may have to try it.  The place next door. Strega. ( Italian for witch ). Is on my list owner is from my family’s home town. I have been to his deli. A discussion with him led to know his best friend in Italy has the same name as a great Uncle that never left.

To the OP of this thread. If you like to eat CT has that going for it Lots of good restaurants!  This may explain my ever growing waist line.

I go to hoodoo brown’s occasionally. Not a big fan. 

Grew up in West Haven 18 years. Dump then. Dumpster fire now. Lived in Milford for 7 years. Has everything you could need store wise. Housing is expensive but I enjoyed the area. Fishing is up and down if you put the work in. Lived in Wallingford for the last 7 Years. I call it Milford North without the shoreline. I have access to everything I need and still live in a relatively rural part of town/area. Taxes are less than the previous towns but climbing rather quickly. I'm a half hour to the shoreline anywhere from Milford to Guilford, a half hour from the better freshwater fishing areas in the northwest corner, and access to I91, RT 15, and I84. If this State was managed better I'd have few complaints but, it is run in an absolute disastrous fashion and will not be improving soon. There is a reason the CT population has remained essentially stagnant for about the last ten years.