Ftyer

What to Expect from Connecticut?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, CWitek said:

The area between Stratford and New Haven is iffy.

12 hours ago, CWitek said:

But the Fairfield County coast is, with the exception of Bridgeport

I gotta disagree with you on this. Bridgeport, while I certainly wouldn't say is a beautiful coastal town has it's really nice areas. And in those areas. Some very good fishing. However. Living in the north end or St Mary';s by the sea areas has a mighty high tax rate.

Stratford other than one area, and while low cost is still not a high crime area, and again lots of fishing opportunities. Very nice housing choices all through the town. though those areas, are even just the neighborhoods themselves come with a high price tag. Taxes are high there as well, but not as high as Bridgeport or Norwalk.

Then we move up the line to Milford. Nice area, many nice ( read expensive ) neighborhoods, lots of fishing opportunities again, Both fresh and salt. Nice beaches. Both state and city.
I believe Milford has the largest coastline of any CT town. You have Long Island Sound, the Housatonic. A high tax base that keeps taxes at an affordable level. Shopping, newly remodeled schools, and city buildings like firehouses. Lots of recreational outlets for kids. Some pretty good waterfowl hunting too.

Lots to be said about Milford.

Moving up the line, to West Haven. Some sketchy areas. Yet nice access to LIS. Nice beaches, Lots of decent places to eat. A highly accredited university. Decent schools. Certainly not Greenwich or New Canaan, but still not bad overall.

New Haven, can be a playground for these other towns. NIght life, cultural happenings, plays, opera, etc. Fun nights in the summer with free concerts. If you're a city person it can be a nice place to live. One great university, one pretty good one, and one community college. Great party town.

nice thing about all these towns and cities along the i 95 corridor is the roads, congested at times. ( I usually leave for fishing trips just after midnight no traffic then ). Wanna grab a boat out of Groton i95, fish Old Saybrook Madison or Guiford? 95. Wanna find freshwater fishing? 95 to 91.

Lots to be said about these towns.

Lived in CT all my life and college days brought me to the real armpit. Played with my life everyday at times walking those streets. same could be said about all the late nights into morning spent fishing Bridgeport's shoreline. FYI Stainless steel sidearms hold up well to the salt environment. But damn the stripers and blues were thick back then. Fairfield and Westport were much safer.

My career has brought me into knowing neighborhoods in all towns on the coast from Milford to Bridgeport intimately. Some much better than others, and I've walked a lot of areas most people would never think of going. I've walked into the worst housing projects to the richest of neighborhoods. All the towns mentioned have a lot of good things going for them, Just gotta know where to look.

10 hours ago, The TideRunner said:

I gotta disagree with you on this. Bridgeport, while I certainly wouldn't say is a beautiful coastal town has it's really nice areas. And in those areas. Some very good fishing. However. Living in the north end or St Mary';s by the sea areas has a mighty high tax rate.

Stratford other than one area, and while low cost is still not a high crime area, and again lots of fishing opportunities. Very nice housing choices all through the town. though those areas, are even just the neighborhoods themselves come with a high price tag. Taxes are high there as well, but not as high as Bridgeport or Norwalk.

Then we move up the line to Milford. Nice area, many nice ( read expensive ) neighborhoods, lots of fishing opportunities again, Both fresh and salt. Nice beaches. Both state and city.
I believe Milford has the largest coastline of any CT town. You have Long Island Sound, the Housatonic. A high tax base that keeps taxes at an affordable level. Shopping, newly remodeled schools, and city buildings like firehouses. Lots of recreational outlets for kids. Some pretty good waterfowl hunting too.

Lots to be said about Milford.

Moving up the line, to West Haven. Some sketchy areas. Yet nice access to LIS. Nice beaches, Lots of decent places to eat. A highly accredited university. Decent schools. Certainly not Greenwich or New Canaan, but still not bad overall.

New Haven, can be a playground for these other towns. NIght life, cultural happenings, plays, opera, etc. Fun nights in the summer with free concerts. If you're a city person it can be a nice place to live. One great university, one pretty good one, and one community college. Great party town.

nice thing about all these towns and cities along the i 95 corridor is the roads, congested at times. ( I usually leave for fishing trips just after midnight no traffic then ). Wanna grab a boat out of Groton i95, fish Old Saybrook Madison or Guiford? 95. Wanna find freshwater fishing? 95 to 91.

Lots to be said about these towns.

Lived in CT all my life and college days brought me to the real armpit. Played with my life everyday at times walking those streets. same could be said about all the late nights into morning spent fishing Bridgeport's shoreline. FYI Stainless steel sidearms hold up well to the salt environment. But damn the stripers and blues were thick back then. Fairfield and Westport were much safer.

My career has brought me into knowing neighborhoods in all towns on the coast from Milford to Bridgeport intimately. Some much better than others, and I've walked a lot of areas most people would never think of going. I've walked into the worst housing projects to the richest of neighborhoods. All the towns mentioned have a lot of good things going for them, Just gotta know where to look.

"Iffy" might have been a bad choice of words.  But it does run good and bad, depending on where you are.  As far as Bridgeport itself goes, I still recall walking into that waterfront park near the former Bridgeport College.  The grass was largely  uncut, and as I got closer, I noticed, with some surprise, what I first thought was a fair number of rabbits jumping through the grass in front of me.  Then I noticed that the "rabbits" all had little round ears and long naked tails.  Turned around and went the other way.

The key to our different opinions is "if you're a citr person," because city people are a little more tolerant and accepting of conditions that non-city people might find objectionable.  And I'm not a city person.  While I've spent a little time in New Haven--plays at the Long Wharf, etc.--my general impression of the place was not particularly favorable.  Just about everywhere has one or two nicer areas, but when you have to single out the nice spots, instead of the less-desirable ones, that in itself tells a story.

But everyone has their own tastes; when it comes to picking out places to live, no one is right or wrong.

11 hours ago, Fergal said:

Gotta keep your hands safe with that gripper lol.  

Yes- you won’t get an ST-76 out once it’s in there

Posted (edited)

Born and raised in CT.  Only reason I am still here is family.  Would have moved out along time ago otherwise.

Taxes, cost of living, general congestion, traffic and fishing all suck.  Freshwater fishing pales in comparison to NY, VT, NH and ME.  Our two "good" trout rivers are being overfished and exploited ever since the pandemic and influx of out of staters.

The striped bass fishing can be good, but with the bass population on the decline who knows how long that will last.  Other than a handfull of state parks and boat ramps, coastal access can be a nightmare. Owning a boat unlocks the entire coast.

If you don't have family here or a very lucrative job, I personally would be looking at other states....

Edited by MikeK
Spelling

Former CT resident.  Lived  there the first 33 years of my life.  Plenty of great things to offer depending on what you like.  Proximity to NYC, good saltwater fishing (underrated compared to other surrounding areas), holdover fishing, good schools (if you have kids).

negative’s definitely include traffic and limited shore access for surfcasters.  Boaters and kayakers don’t have that issue,  surfcasters have it rough.

high taxes never bothered me as NE salaries tend to be higher than if you lived elsewhere.  I currently live down south and enjoy the lower taxes but it definitely comes at a cost.  Schools are not as good, definitely less public services, etc.  a lot of places down south are beautiful but a lot aren’t. 

there are some beautiful towns to settle down in, With lots of great things to offer.  

For me, a lot would depend on where you are going to work?

If you don't have to work, I would prefer R.I.

12 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

Yes- you won’t get an ST-76 out once it’s in there

God forbid

Are you moving to CT for work? If not I would go somewhere else. The only part of the state I would consider living in is the northeast corner. 

Connecticut is a great state,

but the state of the state is a wreck.

Connecticut consistently ranks at or near the bottom all the wrong lists.

They tax the sh*t out of us and the cost of living is off the charts.

Hope you got a good job to come to.

If you do end up there I would recommend joining the CT Surfcasters Association. A great group  who are extremely knowledgeable. I have made some lifelong friends from the club. I lived in West Haven all my life and moved to FL in 2020. I would not recommend buying anything there, the city has deep-seated financial problems that will only be taken care of by increased taxes. It would help to know where your workplaces will be, that is key to where you want to live because of the traffic. 

I’ve lived in 6 states and CT is by far my favorite, cool people, great education opportunities if you have children, excellent health care, easy airport, gateway to upper New England and if your an outside person you will discover beautiful things every time you step out your door. If you fish for stripers, the world record striper was caught in Westbook. 

Bridgeport gets hate. Bought a house in black rock to get near the water. No complaints. Food, bars, music, the shoreline- all in walking distance. 

95 traffic to and from the city is murder. I was still working around lower Westchester when we moved here. Numerous 3 hour rides home leaving Westchester at 3pm latest!!!!

Was an easy choice for us. Couldn't afford a place near the water anywhere else while still staying central to the NYC region. CT city taxes are extremely high and that's a whole mess, but it's a cost I'm willing to pay to live where I live

1 hour ago, Domf said:

Bridgeport gets hate. Bought a house in black rock to get near the water. No complaints. Food, bars, music, the shoreline- all in walking distance. 

95 traffic to and from the city is murder. I was still working around lower Westchester when we moved here. Numerous 3 hour rides home leaving Westchester at 3pm latest!!!!

Was an easy choice for us. Couldn't afford a place near the water anywhere else while still staying central to the NYC region. CT city taxes are extremely high and that's a whole mess, but it's a cost I'm willing to pay to live where I live

I grew up in Black Rock, right on Ash Creek, I loved it.

CT does have high RE taxes but they are substantially lower (like 50% lower) than towns in the closer Westchester county area. If you work in o near NYC its a no brainer to buy in CT vs Westchester.

I cannot thank you all enough, this is all very helpful information and you all have provided solid and diverse opinions. What a great place this forum is and I really appreciate how helpful everyone always is. 

I apologize for my delay in responding, but I was letting the comments marinate while prepping for the Edison fly show. 

@MakoMikefeel free to send me any info you may have on the listing, would love to see it.