Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Santiago II

lightweight kayak fishing

35 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, cheech said:

What is the length of the composite yak? The used market is flooded with Sams Club and Dicks starter SOT and SIKs. Even my wife was able to move this 10’ 34lb, Pelican Wave; and it got fished plenty in rivers and on Long Island sound. Good luck in your search.

64D93BCB-154C-4C9C-B4DE-DDF5AA7E4AAE.jpeg

Edited by Santiago II
link?

13 hours ago, Vt coast said:

I have the Hurricane sport 12'. it's a paddle yak but very light and fast on the water. With my age and small frame it's easy to car top and move around. Hurricane makes a SOT an nice boat; but it was just a hair too heavy for me...For portaging, you might consider some wheels to pull it along.

I found a Heritage Shearwater in Kevlar years ago in South FL.  It was a beater that someone had on their dock and they were moving. I think I paid 400 dollars for it. For all it's cosmetic imperfections and wear, it didn't leak. It was 18 feet long and 44 lbs. After rolling boats like Tarpon 160s to launch sites, this thing was a joy to carry. It gave me much greater range from park to launch and allowed me to negotiate difficult terrain that I couldn't do well with wheels. In the mountains, that low weight would make all the difference in access. That's what I'm thinking about when I'm looking at this next kayak.

14 hours ago, cheech said:

What is the length of the composite yak? The used market is flooded with Sams Club and Dicks starter SOT and SIKs. Even my wife was able to move this 10’ 34lb, Pelican Wave; and it got fished plenty in rivers and on Long Island sound. Good luck in your search.

64D93BCB-154C-4C9C-B4DE-DDF5AA7E4AAE.jpeg

My issue with short boats is always tracking, but that's based on very limited experience. The composite SIS I was looking at (as an example of what shows up on Craigslist as a great deal) was 14'6" (It was a Lincoln Chebeague). 

(I would prefer 11.5 or 12 but 14 has advantages as well).

At this point, especially if shopping used, flexibility is essential. 

Posted (edited)

That’s the trade off with short entry level kayaks. They track poorly, are easily wind cocked and you get very little glide. But for small water, portability and price, they shine.

Some of the Shearwaters were known to wander and/or constantly pull to one side. But it was their 9.5 Featherlite that had some serious tracking issues. Paddling dot com has many reviews of all these models. Some older Cobra and Malibu yaks could work, but they are unicorn rare.

Edited by cheech
Featherlite

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, cheech said:

That’s the trade off with short entry level kayaks. They track poorly, are easily wind cocked and you get very little glide. But for small water, portability and price, they shine.

Some of the Shearwaters were known to wander and/or constantly pull to one side, but it was probably the PE molded boats. Paddling dot com has many reviews of all these models. Some older Cobra and Malibu yaks could work, but they are unicorn rare.

I've fished out of OC Frenzy and it was a good, portable, utility boat. It was also excellent in the surf, but the short nose wandered with every paddle stroke. If you fish small ponds you could get a lot of mileage out short boats, but if you have to cross any distance of open water that can be a serious problem. I always wondered how a wave witch would do on open water.

It's funny about the Shearwaters, but some of the composites looked like they were "one offs".  They all had weathercocking issues that could be solved by a skeg. The difference in weight on the kevlar vs the fiberglass was significant. Never put my kevlar on the scale but it felt less than 40 lbs.  Really fast, great for covering ground, and great for flats fishing. I tried it in the surf and it was "less than ideal".

Edited by Santiago II