Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Santiago II

lightweight kayak fishing

35 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, puppet said:

That seems like an uncomfortable portage length to me for anything I have ever seen or used.

10 hours ago, puppet said:

You may need different kayaks for different purposes.  Buy a used kayak that you can cart into places.  Buy a lightweight canoe or kayak for longer portage.  I would opt for something like a canoe for longer portage....because you can yolk it and use a backpack to haul your gear at the same time.  Pakboats has foldable canoes and kayaks, but personally I would go for the Stellar dragonfly because it is not fabric and roughly the same weight.

No doubt all boats are compromises. The questions is which kayak would give the most versatility after meeting the primary goal of being reasonable portable for limited remote access. 

I'd rethink some of those assumptions:

1. light (definitely)

2. inexpensive (consideration but not a major factor, a lot of expensive boats resell for much less used))

3. Ocean/Sea worthy (as much as possible. Would take an SOT over a SIS or paddle board)

4. Fishing platform

a. stable (not really an issue, a 24" inch boat would be fine)

b. durable (might encounter sharp objects, assume it's not going to be dragged, so carbon, kevlar, and fiberglass are all OK) 

4 mins ago, Santiago II said:

No doubt all boats are compromises. The questions is which kayak would give the most versatility after meeting the primary goal of being reasonable portable for limited remote access. 

I'd rethink some of those assumptions:

1. light (definitely)

2. inexpensive (consideration but not a major factor, a lot of expensive boats resell for much less used))

3. Ocean/Sea worthy (as much as possible. Would take an SOT over a SIS or paddle board)

4. Fishing platform

a. stable (not really an issue, a 24" inch boat would be fine)

b. durable (might encounter sharp objects, assume it's not going to be dragged, so carbon, kevlar, and fiberglass are all OK) 

You're never going to hit all those things. Fishing platform doesn't matter, you can technically fish out of anything.

As far as the other 3 things, pick 2 of them.

4 mins ago, RWP said:

You're never going to hit all those things. Fishing platform doesn't matter, you can technically fish out of anything.

As far as the other 3 things, pick 2 of them.

I think I could do all of them with a short, composite, SOT

Just now, Santiago II said:

I think I could do all of them with a short, composite, SOT

It's just not going to be inexpensive.

Posted (edited)

6 mins ago, RWP said:

It's just not going to be inexpensive.

I'm looking at Craigslist. There's a 37 lb composite kayak in mint condition, retails new 3800 plus, but listing at 1300.  Only dilemma is this one is a SIS. Patience and a little driving might solve that last problem. 

Edited by Santiago II

16 mins ago, Santiago II said:

I'm looking at Craigslist. There's a 37 lb composite kayak in mint condition, retails new 3800 plus, but listing at 1300.  Only dilemma is this one is a SIS. Patience and a little driving might solve that last problem. 

Fascinated to see what you end up with. There's so few light composite SOT made (unlike the not not-so-light composite SA boats), that's why Niemier offering the Scupper in composite was so interesting. Unless you were going to wear a sprayskirt with a full decked SIK, I'm not sure what the advantage over a similar sized canoe would be. I'd much rather fish out of the latter. If safety were a concern there's lightweight nylon airbags available, but you'd have to watch the hooks!

What is the length of the composite yak? The used market is flooded with Sams Club and Dicks starter SOT and SIKs. Even my wife was able to move this 10’ 34lb, Pelican Wave; and it got fished plenty in rivers and on Long Island sound. Good luck in your search.

64D93BCB-154C-4C9C-B4DE-DDF5AA7E4AAE.jpeg

I have the Hurricane sport 12'. it's a paddle yak but very light and fast on the water. With my age and small frame it's easy to car top and move around. Hurricane makes a SOT an nice boat; but it was just a hair too heavy for me...For portaging, you might consider some wheels to pull it along.

Have you looked at Crescent Kayaks? I’ve read they are light. I haven’t looked at them yet. I’m thinking about a light 10.5’ pedal yak. 

1 min ago, Vintagefishing said:

Have you looked at Crescent Kayaks? I’ve read they are light. I haven’t looked at them yet. I’m thinking about a light 10.5’ pedal yak. 

Crescent ultralight is still over 50lbs.

1 min ago, Vintagefishing said:

@RWP how much does the 10.5’ Hobie Compass weigh? 

Passport 10.5 (they don't make a 10.5 compass) is 65lbs without the drive.

Pedal driven kayaks are always going to be heavier. Besides a lynx, I think they are all over 60lbs.

Posted (edited)

Crescent Ultralite, 10'2" long, 30" wide, 49lbs

Edited by ne_dan

2 hours ago, ne_dan said:

Crescent Ultralite, 10'2" long, 30" wide, 49lbs

That's still a lot to carry 1/4 mi especially if you're only making one trip and also carrying paddle, rods, tackle, water, etc. A <30lb kevlar 12' canoe makes more sense.

5 hours ago, cheech said:

What is the length of the composite yak? The used market is flooded with Sams Club and Dicks starter SOT and SIKs. Even my wife was able to move this 10’ 34lb, Pelican Wave; and it got fished plenty in rivers and on Long Island sound. Good luck in your search.

64D93BCB-154C-4C9C-B4DE-DDF5AA7E4AAE.jpeg

Looks like a whitewater boat to me!