Littoral Larry

Megabass Vision 110 Suspending

45 posts in this topic

Took it back out today to give it a few more casts with a new slightly longer leader and tied direct and after a few casts I took a close look at the lure and looks like some water seeped in. I cant imagine this being normal so I am guessing this might be the issue since it just completely sinks nose or tail first when the retrieve is stopped with no "suspending" at all. I can see it when I pause the retrieve and my braid on the surface just gets pulled down rapidly. Never dropped this lure on the ground nor banged it around on any rocks at all, pulled it right out of the box and tied it on. Upsetting to see such a high end lure already have issues right out of the box. I will still find use for it at some point as a deep water sinking jerk bait but might have to buy another and see if I have the same issue. At least with some water in it it casts a mile into the wind 

IMG_1135.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a shame...  Maybe you can fix it.  Find the leak with a paper towel or something. There's probably a thread on loading redfins on this forum.

It's a bummer but led to an informative thread at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Littoral Larry said:

Took it back out today to give it a few more casts with a new slightly longer leader and tied direct and after a few casts I took a close look at the lure and looks like some water seeped in. I cant imagine this being normal so I am guessing this might be the issue since it just completely sinks nose or tail first when the retrieve is stopped with no "suspending" at all. I can see it when I pause the retrieve and my braid on the surface just gets pulled down rapidly. Never dropped this lure on the ground nor banged it around on any rocks at all, pulled it right out of the box and tied it on. Upsetting to see such a high end lure already have issues right out of the box. I will still find use for it at some point as a deep water sinking jerk bait but might have to buy another and see if I have the same issue. At least with some water in it it casts a mile into the wind 

IMG_1135.jpg

 

That's it right there - go to megabassusa dot com - under Resources click Contact Us - click "product feedback" and tell them your new 110 filled with water - they will send you a new one once you send yours in. 

Edited by buddha162

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It mite be leaking  @ the eyelets that are coming out the body whwere the split rings attach to. Ive seen that a few times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vce12342000 said:

It mite be leaking  @ the eyelets that are coming out the body whwere the split rings attach to. Ive seen that a few times

That's what I have seen at least with KO I will put them in a bucket of water for an hour usually the ones leaking will sink to bottom. I dry them out and put drop of crazy glue around eyelet. Then paint and epoxy coat this fixes the problem 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, onthefly said:

That's what I have seen at least with KO I will put them in a bucket of water for an hour usually the ones leaking will sink to bottom. I dry them out and put drop of crazy glue around eyelet. Then paint and epoxy coat this fixes the problem 

good solution...... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 1/22/2023 at 9:13 PM, buddha162 said:

 

That's what people here fish them on, and that's what Megabass went with bc no one was ready to throw a $25 1/2oz jerkbait on 6lb fluoro - but that's separate from what the designers had in mind when they built the bait. You can hear it (ad nauseum) from Randy Blauket, who is sort of a clown but he did have a major hand in designing the bait, and I recall a couple of articles from Yuki Ito saying the same thing. It was meant as a clear water full bodied finesse JB that you fish on light line for "optimal" results. But I fish it on heavier line all the time depending on what/when/where. I've changed hooks to large singles and fished it around laydowns on 16lb sniper in the summer. It didn't matter bc I'm not pausing the bait at all.

 

Thing is winter jerkbait fishing...on a 4 minute cast with 10-20 second pauses between twitches, your fluorocarbon line will sink below the bait, and it will pull it down. The heavier the line, the faster this will occur. Thinner dia fluoro will initially pull the bait deeper on the retrieve bc there is less drag, but then on the pause it won't sink as quickly and therefore your bait will suspend better, and look livelier even with the smallest rod tip action.

Good points and I chuckled at your Randy Blauket line. I usually fish on 10 or 12 pound line myself and a baitcaster haha (haven't been influenced by his endless jerkbait videos). While I agree that Megabass are among the most consistent baits and from the pictures his definitly looks legitimate, it's difficult to get a jerkbait to suspend because there are so many factors - hooks, buoyancy, water temperatures, line choice, weight system, etc. Even if Vision 110s are the best jerkbait on the market, some of them still require tweaking to suspend. I generally don't pause for that long and am ok with the bait slowly sinking especially in colder conditions.. Most of my baits are LC Pointers because I found them on sale at a local tackle shop. I've also learned that using a mono leader will cause some of the baits to suspend for 10 seconds.  I know smallmouth guys fishing highland reservoirs will probably laugh at that, but it works for me. Another trick I've used is to put an extra split ring on the front hook hanger. Even had some luck getting a Rapala to suspend!  

Edited by MAGA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MAGA said:

Good points and I chuckled at your Randy Blauket line. I usually fish on 10 or 12 pound line myself and a baitcaster haha (haven't been influenced by his endless jerkbait videos). While I agree that Megabass are among the most consistent baits and from the pictures his definitly looks legitimate, it's difficult to get a jerkbait to suspend because there are so many factors - hooks, buoyancy, water temperatures, line choice, weight system, etc. Even if Vision 110s are the best jerkbait on the market, some of them still require tweaking to suspend. I generally don't pause for that long and am ok with the bait slowly sinking especially in colder conditions.. Most of my baits are LC Pointers because I found them on sale at a local tackle shop. I've also learned that using a mono leader will cause some of the baits to suspend for 10 seconds.  I know smallmouth guys fishing highland reservoirs will probably laugh at that, but it works for me. Another trick I've used is to put an extra split ring on the front hook hanger. Even had some luck getting a Rapala to suspend!  

 

Yeah I can almost adjust a 110 blind if I were to swap to single hooks, but not quite. One might take 2 #2 and 1 #3 split rings, another might need a fraction of a gram of weight added etc. But I've had other brands' "suspending" baits float like a cork, needing 1/4oz+ of additional weight to tune. All the X-80 Trick Darters from MB are slow sinkers, even though they say "suspend" on the pack. At least they are consistently overweight lol. 

 

I'm a relatively new convert to straight fluorocarbon on different applications. The fact that the line sinks can have interesting effects on your fishing. For instance when I'm slow rolling a small swimbait or spybait, straight 5-6lb fluoro definitely keeps the lure flatter in w/e column I counted it down to longer. With braid which floats it will always want to nose up quicker. Likewise fishing weightless soft plastics deep...once your bait is on the bottom in 25+ft, which takes a minute or two to get there, if you wait another 2 minutes for your fluoro to sink to the bottom, you can can keep that bait on the bottom almost throughout the entire retrieve.  

 

From shore this can really suck if you're dragging a jig uphill, since your line will sink and lay across the bottom and if you get snagged good luck gaining an angle to pop it free. Also trying to "walk" a JB from shore upslope by tuning it to slow float...doesn't quite work with fluoro since after a minute your line is basically glued to the bottom and pulling that JB down on every twitch. I found this out the hard way trying to fish jerkbaits for fluke from the beach...braid to a short fluoro leader much better for that application. 

 

Btw, that new LC Lightning Pointer 110DD is a great looking JB in the water. Very lively and responsive with a thin bill, and it's 10 bucks! 

 

LTPT110DD-238-H_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have heard of the memory of flouro pulling the lure forward off target as it tries to coil after long casts...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MAGA said:

Good points and I chuckled at your Randy Blauket line. I usually fish on 10 or 12 pound line myself and a baitcaster haha (haven't been influenced by his endless jerkbait videos). While I agree that Megabass are among the most consistent baits and from the pictures his definitly looks legitimate, it's difficult to get a jerkbait to suspend because there are so many factors - hooks, buoyancy, water temperatures, line choice, weight system, etc. Even if Vision 110s are the best jerkbait on the market, some of them still require tweaking to suspend. I generally don't pause for that long and am ok with the bait slowly sinking especially in colder conditions.. Most of my baits are LC Pointers because I found them on sale at a local tackle shop. I've also learned that using a mono leader will cause some of the baits to suspend for 10 seconds.  I know smallmouth guys fishing highland reservoirs will probably laugh at that, but it works for me. Another trick I've used is to put an extra split ring on the front hook hanger. Even had some luck getting a Rapala to suspend!  

Good points . advice taken.....

 

Thank you...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@buddha162 that color looks killer. It's funny that both baits you mention, I want to give a try (Lightning Pointer & X-80)! Maybe next year. I still have a rip stop and some smaller profile Luck Crafts (believe theyre size 78) that I have not tried in my tackle tray.

Edited by MAGA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2023 at 2:43 PM, Littoral Larry said:

Took it back out today to give it a few more casts with a new slightly longer leader and tied direct and after a few casts I took a close look at the lure and looks like some water seeped in. I cant imagine this being normal so I am guessing this might be the issue since it just completely sinks nose or tail first when the retrieve is stopped with no "suspending" at all. I can see it when I pause the retrieve and my braid on the surface just gets pulled down rapidly. Never dropped this lure on the ground nor banged it around on any rocks at all, pulled it right out of the box and tied it on. Upsetting to see such a high end lure already have issues right out of the box. I will still find use for it at some point as a deep water sinking jerk bait but might have to buy another and see if I have the same issue. At least with some water in it it casts a mile into the wind 

IMG_1135.jpg

I would call Megabass USA. I would think this is very rare to have water intusion on your first day out. You purchased from a reputable dealer and tackle shop, so the likelihood of a fake is extreme low. And as you say, you spent good money. Do let us know how it goes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, triumph said:

I have heard of the memory of flouro pulling the lure forward off target as it tries to coil after long casts...

 

It's overstated imo - sniper and tatsu in 6-10lb even after months of sitting on a reel all you need to do is stretch it on a fish or just crank and work your JB for a couple of casts and the coils dissipate.

 

One thing when working a JB with straight fluoro on a baitcaster is you need to feather the spool on the retrieve, otherwise you will reel in a lot of slack then when you pull on a fish (or a snag) the line can get kinked and frayed on the spool. I was wondering why my line wasn't lasting more than 2 or 3 trips and it's just the nature of winding slack with a jerkbait. Now a spool of 8 or 10lb fluoro will last a dozen+ trips w/o issue, as long as I don't blow up a cast lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2023 at 10:13 PM, buddha162 said:

 

That's what people here fish them on, and that's what Megabass went with bc no one was ready to throw a $25 1/2oz jerkbait on 6lb fluoro - but that's separate from what the designers had in mind when they built the bait. You can hear it (ad nauseum) from Randy Blauket, who is sort of a clown but he did have a major hand in designing the bait, and I recall a couple of articles from Yuki Ito saying the same thing. It was meant as a clear water full bodied finesse JB that you fish on light line for "optimal" results. But I fish it on heavier line all the time depending on what/when/where. I've changed hooks to large singles and fished it around laydowns on 16lb sniper in the summer. It didn't matter bc I'm not pausing the bait at all.

 

Thing is winter jerkbait fishing...on a 4 minute cast with 10-20 second pauses between twitches, your fluorocarbon line will sink below the bait, and it will pull it down. The heavier the line, the faster this will occur. Thinner dia fluoro will initially pull the bait deeper on the retrieve bc there is less drag, but then on the pause it won't sink as quickly and therefore your bait will suspend better, and look livelier even with the smallest rod tip action.

$25 bucks for a small plastic lure.  That’s crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 1/25/2023 at 6:46 PM, buddha162 said:

 

Yeah I can almost adjust a 110 blind if I were to swap to single hooks, but not quite. One might take 2 #2 and 1 #3 split rings, another might need a fraction of a gram of weight added etc. But I've had other brands' "suspending" baits float like a cork, needing 1/4oz+ of additional weight to tune. All the X-80 Trick Darters from MB are slow sinkers, even though they say "suspend" on the pack. At least they are consistently overweight lol. 

 

I'm a relatively new convert to straight fluorocarbon on different applications. The fact that the line sinks can have interesting effects on your fishing. For instance when I'm slow rolling a small swimbait or spybait, straight 5-6lb fluoro definitely keeps the lure flatter in w/e column I counted it down to longer. With braid which floats it will always want to nose up quicker. Likewise fishing weightless soft plastics deep...once your bait is on the bottom in 25+ft, which takes a minute or two to get there, if you wait another 2 minutes for your fluoro to sink to the bottom, you can can keep that bait on the bottom almost throughout the entire retrieve.  

 

From shore this can really suck if you're dragging a jig uphill, since your line will sink and lay across the bottom and if you get snagged good luck gaining an angle to pop it free. Also trying to "walk" a JB from shore upslope by tuning it to slow float...doesn't quite work with fluoro since after a minute your line is basically glued to the bottom and pulling that JB down on every twitch. I found this out the hard way trying to fish jerkbaits for fluke from the beach...braid to a short fluoro leader much better for that application. 

 

Btw, that new LC Lightning Pointer 110DD is a great looking JB in the water. Very lively and responsive with a thin bill, and it's 10 bucks! 

 

LTPT110DD-238-H_1024x1024@2x.jpg

 

From shore this can really suck if you're dragging a jig uphill,

 

use Top 20 smitwick lure uphill and control the dept with how high you hold your rod tip.

if you covering 20' dept put the tip close to surfice off water,when you coming to bank sloap hold your tip rod high off water.

Edited by snag777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now