Littoral Larry

Megabass Vision 110 Suspending

43 posts in this topic

i fish suspending bait with 20 or30 # braid and 24" to 36" leader with 20 OR 25# mono.

if you tone the bait in bucket at home it will work perfect with litel adjustment.

my friend tie direct to braid and when is bait he catch same as me and some time he catch more then me.

if the lure is not suspending in bucket only sink you can not make the lure suspending.

Cool response, Buddha. That’s the thing when trying to write short and quick responses, there’s so many variables left out. 

One thing I’ll add is that it’s very hard to determine whether a jerkbait is running correctly or not unless you have really clear water and can really see it from a good distance away. In very cold water, some jerkbaits can definitely appear to be really off when looking at them close up and they will demonstrate that tilted up or down angle while suspending close to the boat or bank. But when you can see them farther away or in slightly warmer water, those same baits will seem like they’re perfectly fine and suspend like they should. 

15 hours ago, WindAndWater said:

Cool response, Buddha. That’s the thing when trying to write short and quick responses, there’s so many variables left out. 

One thing I’ll add is that it’s very hard to determine whether a jerkbait is running correctly or not unless you have really clear water and can really see it from a good distance away. In very cold water, some jerkbaits can definitely appear to be really off when looking at them close up and they will demonstrate that tilted up or down angle while suspending close to the boat or bank. But when you can see them farther away or in slightly warmer water, those same baits will seem like they’re perfectly fine and suspend like they should. 

Yeah jerkbait is about the worst technique for someone with "fishing OCD" like me. On top of all the other variables I prefer using single hooks on baits with 3 hook hangers - balancing out dozens/hundreds of jerkbaits is almost a full time winter job. The JB bite around me gets worse every year too, so I'm not sure why I bother but there's just something about that JB bite that's so appealing. 

I'm tempted to get a livescope setup (even though it's cheating lol) just to check what my JB is doing out on a cast. I suspect, as you said, they might be misbehaving 60ft out vs a quick check boatside haha

Bought it from J&H, packaging looked legit so I can't imagine it being a knockoff. I fished it with 15lb braid and about a foot or so of 12lb flouro leader. Tried it with a small swivel and tied direct and both times seems to sink very fast nose or tail down almost immediately. 

Doesn't appear to have any cracks, might have to try it in a bucket later and see if it is the flouro leader or something else causing it. Just seemed odd that it doesn't even stay very level at all when it sinks, only nose or tail straight down. Seems like a very well made product and maybe I just got a rare lemon. 

IMG-1131.jpg

IMG-1132.jpg

15 mins ago, Littoral Larry said:

Bought it from J&H, packaging looked legit so I can't imagine it being a knockoff. I fished it with 15lb braid and about a foot or so of 12lb flouro leader. Tried it with a small swivel and tied direct and both times seems to sink very fast nose or tail down almost immediately. 

Doesn't appear to have any cracks, might have to try it in a bucket later and see if it is the flouro leader or something else causing it. Just seemed odd that it doesn't even stay very level at all when it sinks, only nose or tail straight down. Seems like a very well made product and maybe I just got a rare lemon. 

IMG-1131.jpg

Yeah that's real - GP Crystal Shad - great color for cold clear water. Definitely don't use a swivel, you can replace the nose split ring with a small snap. It shouldn't be sinking with a short fluoro leader + braid. Keep it underwater for a few minutes and hold it against the light to see if water made it inside. 

The reason it goes head or tail down is the 2 weight transfer balls inside. The 110 wants to sit head down when the balls are in the normal position, but every now and then they will kick to the back when you work the bait and then it will sit tail down. That part is perfectly normal. 

I just ordered 12 of these mega bass lures. I just tested them after I read this post. The 1s I switched over to single owners #4 hooks float fine. Ive even tested the 1s with the treble hooks still attached. They floated also. But the 1s I switch over seem to float on top of the water higher. maybe due to less weight idk. 

Maybe iit mite be counterfeit as a few said.

I also run 4ft 6# fluoro leader with 10# braid  

Id return it back to the seller for a refund or have them make it rite 

326787637_897583607946409_4247308810188868896_n.jpg

326635880_696234795538736_3186458092565364031_n.jpg

22 mins ago, vce12342000 said:

Maybe iit mite be counterfeit as a few said.

I also run 4ft 6# fluoro leader with 10# braid  

Id return it back to the seller for a refund or have them make it rite

There's nothing wrong with them - the nanahans are "slow float" and you need #2 owner singles + a bit of weight to get them suspending perfectly. Just slapping on #4 singles and they will float like a cork. 

Even swapping to 2x trebles from the stock trebles you have to add a tiny bit of weight to get them suspending. All of these are on #1 Decoy split rings light class. 

PXL_20230123_230150129.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20230123_230255692.NIGHT.jpg

It would be nice if they came from the manufacturer with single hooks. That would certainly eliminate a lot trouble. For what they cost they should at least offer that option.

26 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

It would be nice if they came from the manufacturer with single hooks. That would certainly eliminate a lot trouble. For what they cost they should at least offer that option.

Very, very few people use single hooks for bass, and the uncomfortable truth is even on a small jerkbait running singles can really hurt your hookup %. Esp in cold water when fish are just slapping at it. There's an argument to be made that once hooked, singles might offer a better landing %, but imo it's negligible at best if you're using the right setup. The number of fish that will smack my JB and never feel a hook is discouraging. It's worse on deep divers with that big bill acting like a shield in front of the belly hook, and fatter crankbaits when they are just nipping at it and not engulfing.  

Also, while on paper single hooks do less damage to fish, at least when it comes to bass I've noticed more deeply hooked fish running singles on smaller cranks and jerkbaits. I think it's a lot easier for a bass to inhale a plug without any single hook points catching on the way in, whereas oftentimes with trebles one point will catch somewhere in the jaw or even outside the jaw and prevent the bait from ending up down the gullet. 

It's a never ending experiment, and there are a dozen+ quality treble hooks on the market, each with different bends/gaps/shank length/steel dia etc. Something to keep us busy over the winter lol

On 1/22/2023 at 3:00 PM, flyman28 said:

where did you buy it?  If you got one off the auction site, it may be a knock off.  Megabass lives on quality control

I buy and paint the KO and even they don't do what he describes if anything they are a slow rise . I'm thinking there could be a crack or bad seem and water has gotten in . I water test all my ko baits and have found about 1 out of 20 with leak.. it could have this reel or ko . The reel do come with rather light wire hooks I use heavier hooks and they don't sink like a rock. Suggest watch some video's and see if the lures look like there sinking like that. The ko do work very much like the reel ones and are a great value if you paint. I own about 40 of them in 110, 110+1 and 110 +2

55 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

You aint lying there. putting these owner single hook on are a super PITA. The larger split rings are easier then these little 1s for freshwater. So much so that I switch out only as needed :laugh: 

118777894_305099714084760_635999312483389763_o.jpg

22 hours ago, triumph said:

Cut and paste from the megabass usa website:

THE VISION ONETEN IS AT ITS BEST WHEN FISHED WITH 6LB. TO 15LB. FLUORO, WITH A SWEET SPOT IN THE 10-12LB RANGE. LINE DIAMETER WILL AFFECT THE DEPTH THE ONETEN IS ABLE TO REACH, RUNNING NEARLY 7 FT. DEEP ON 6LB. TEST, TO AROUND 4 FT. ON 15LB. TEST.

Running depth has more to do with the line diameter and composition. Also bill length. They should get down as deep as those to parameters let them . Like I said before when I stop retrieve they float up at least with the ko with 10 lb mono which is what I use 

30 mins ago, triumph said:

@buddha162 What hooks are you using on the 110's ?

#1 Owner singles, mix of #2 and #3 Decoy light class split ring. Generally I don't have to add any weight to get the regular 110s and 110+1s to suspend. The 110+2 I go down to #1 Decoy split rings or it will sink. 

Treble hook replacement is the Gammy G Finesse #6 in Medium wire, #2 rings. I will fish the stock outbarb hooks if I'm using 6-8lb fluoro, otherwise they get swapped to singles or the gammys.