jjdbike

Deck boot suggestion needed please

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Snaps said:

What town in  socal.

Oceanside.

It’s pretty much the northern most  coastal part of San Diego County, butts up against Fort Pendleton to the north.

JD

3 hours ago, Snaps said:

I second the grundens

Denny has the xtratuff, lastn2 years he is happy with them, for winter tog, stays warm.

I THINK these are the insulated ones, I have a pair of extratuff that are NOT insulated, I use for milder temps and fruking. So, you also want to think about insulation properties.

JJ good you are reading the reviews,

Everybody's fit is different   as is the conditions. There are a lot of choices

America's favorite Doosh gave me his size 11 grundens, my feet hurt all the time, but these ?? Are great, I use the gel inserts, I wear them walking/working around the yard.

I would buy another pair.

I also have the Xtratuff calf length, love them, warm comfy for me.

Thanks much bud!

JD

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

Oceanside.

It’s pretty much the northern most  coastal part of San Diego County, butts up against Fort Pendleton to the north.

JD

The company Marine terminal is in national city San Diego.

2 hours ago, Snaps said:

The company Marine terminal is in national city San Diego.

Who cares? Not me.

JD, if you have orthotics from the Dr, why aren't you wearing them in your boots? I put them in every pair of footwear that I have. Just take the original ones out. 

14 hours ago, mickrazz said:

Who cares? Not me.

JD, if you have orthotics from the Dr, why aren't you wearing them in your boots? I put them in every pair of footwear that I have. Just take the original ones out. 

The doosh is right.

I was reading some of the reviews for both the extra tuff and Grundens, both had a few negative reviews as to the quality.

You may also want to look at Zappos website, at Bogs and Muck brands, they have a few ankle height boots.

I have a pair of Boggs calf height, have not really put those through the paces, so.... also have  Bogs rubber sole slip on shoes, neoprene insulated, used to wear on the boat fall tog., rain around town snow etc, so they gat a decent winter work out,  they rae fairly warm but a llittle heavy, because they have a thick  rubber sole, what happens to the neoprene lining of the shoe style, is that the material coating of the neoprene lining, wore off, from repeated on/off., I dont know/or think, that may be an issue with the deck style bootI tell you this because no matter what you buy today, you have to read the reviews, there is so much krap out there, you pay good coin.

Problem with reviews is that no matter how good something is, there is always a few dooshes that bash the product. Sometimes ya just gotta try it for yourself. All of us have bought stuff that we regret. 

1 hour ago, mickrazz said:

Problem with reviews is that no matter how good something is, there is always a few dooshes that bash the product. Sometimes ya just gotta try it for yourself. All of us have bought stuff that we regret. 

The only product reviews that are useful are the ones where everybody says the product sucks.

But I don't know how anybody can get much about comfort out of the review of a shoe.  Peoples feet are too different.

On 1/22/2023 at 2:09 PM, Snaps said:

I THINK these are the insulated ones

Not really insulated, neoprene lined.....so maybe some insulation but heavier rubber than the regular ankle deck boot.

3 hours ago, mickrazz said:

This is true.

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

The only product reviews that are useful are the ones where everybody says the product sucks.

But I don't know how anybody can get much about comfort out of the review of a shoe.  Peoples feet are too different.

Yep

1 hour ago, Tom T said:

Not really insulated, neoprene lined.....so maybe some insulation but heavier rubber than the regular ankle deck boot.

Understood

yes I think the neoprene lining offers some thermal protection, and there are various thickness.

I have the extratuff ankle boots, very thin sole and lining, not warm .

I wore a pair of Mucks out in 4 years. The lugs on the soles are worn and peeling off. 

45 mins ago, Sparky said:

I wore a pair of Mucks out in 4 years. The lugs on the soles are worn and peeling off. 

YOUR A BIG GUY !!!!

The soles of those boots are screaming under Sparky's bulk.  

What are you weighing in at, Spark?  245#s?  250#, maybe?

I ended up buying a pair of sperry deck boots this year. They had very nice support and I could have put orthotics in if I wanted (but didn’t-maybe next year). Not “standard” compared to the xtra tuffs and grundens but I was very happy with them - especially at the price (under $80). One minor complaint is that my true size was a little snugger than I expected. I’d go bigger next time.