jjdbike

Deck boot suggestion needed please

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I’m new to SoCal and intend to do some ground fishing. I have light weight summer boots. I need some for winter, such as it is in SoCal. Looking for comfortable, supportive and a little insulation. Light weight would be good but not at the sacrifice of all day comfort and support.

What do you folks recommend?

Thanks in advance,

JD

Southern California I would not expect to use anything more than flip flops :)

But if there is a need for cooler temps I would just the same as I do for Jersey winters. I just use a regular pair of xtra tuf deck boots one size larger so I can fit a heavy wool sock. 

I like the grunden deck boss ankle high for our warmer months. 

3 mins ago, Kml said:

But if there is a need for cooler temps I would just the same as I do for Jersey winters. I just use a regular pair of xtra tuf deck boots one size larger so I can fit a heavy wool sock. 

Thanks brother,

The current temp here is 41. Far from arctic, and it will most likely briefly reach mid 50’s by this afternoon. No idea what it’s like off shore here in winter. I do know standing on a steel deck all day can be cold on the feet and hard on the body. That’s why I wanted something warm and comfortable. I’m getting older and comfort matters.

Thanks again,

JD

I did get a pair of patagonia winter weight fleece oversocks this year that look great but it never really did get cold here. 

Hi JD,

Xtratuf boots are the most popular in CA.  I also had a pair of Shimano Evair boots that were extremely light.  If comfort is your top priority, I'd suggest just wearing your favorite tennis shoes. 

The rock fishing boats typically have a warm galley to relax in during transit and once anchored, the decks don't get washed by waves.  It is easy enough to avoid the deckhand when they wash down the deck.  Yes, your sneakers may get exposed to bait and slime on the deck, but you can always wash your shoes when you get home.  You can always bring an extra pair of socks and your existing boots as a backup.

Now, boots do offer extra protection against rockfish spines sticking out of burlap sacks.  So if you wear shoes, just be careful walking near the bait tank where the sacks are.

Have fun!

5 mins ago, Mike Mendez said:

Hi JD,

Xtratuf boots are the most popular in CA.  I also had a pair of Shimano Evair boots that were extremely light.  If comfort is your top priority, I'd suggest just wearing your favorite tennis shoes. 

The rock fishing boats typically have a warm galley to relax in during transit and once anchored, the decks don't get washed by waves.  It is easy enough to avoid the deckhand when they wash down the deck.  Yes, your sneakers may get exposed to bait and slime on the deck, but you can always wash your shoes when you get home.  You can always bring an extra pair of socks and your existing boots as a backup.

Now, boots do offer extra protection against rockfish spines sticking out of burlap sacks.  So if you wear shoes, just be careful walking near the bait tank where the sacks are.

Have fun!

Thanks Mike,

Looks like I’ll be getting a pair of xtratuf boots.

Best regards!

JD

Sounds good JD.  Years ago, Xtratuf only came in one length and many deckhands used to fold the tops down during the day and then fold them back to full length when washing the deck.  Many CA fishermen adopted this "cool" look.  Now there are many styles and lengths to choose from.  It's all a personal preference.

xtratuf.JPG

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

Hey folks,

I’m new to SoCal and intend to do some ground fishing. I have light weight summer boots. I need some for winter, such as it is in SoCal. Looking for comfortable, supportive and a little insulation. Light weight would be good but not at the sacrifice of all day comfort and support.

Thanks in advance,

JD

Did you relocate?  Hope all is well :wave:

16 mins ago, Mike Mendez said:

Sounds good JD.  Years ago, Xtratuf only came in one length and many deckhands used to fold the tops down during the day and then fold them back to full length when washing the deck.  Many CA fishermen adopted this "cool" look.  Now there are many styles and lengths to choose from.  It's all a personal preference.

xtratuf.JPG

Mike,

Thanks for posting those pics.

Now that I look at them, I realized I had a pair of those. I found them to be too soft and in supportive. They made my feet and back hurt.

I do want deck boots, but need more support then these offer.

13 mins ago, PeterO said:

Did you relocate?  Hope all is well :wave:

Hello Peter,

Nice to hear from you. I hope you & yours are well.

Yes, I moved w/ my wife to support my youngest son & his family. I came kicking and screaming (i.e. w/ much reluctance and protest). Given my druthers I’d have moved further north east never south west. Of all the differences, and as you can imagine there are many, the easiest to get used to is the weather so far. Only been here 3 months. The cost of EVERYTHING, the population density and the traffic are hell. The upside, we’re near family and only 15 mins from beach. I’m still getting the lay of the land. I need to find some stretch’s of beach that are difficult to access. I’ve only fished 3 times in the three months I’ve been here. Jockeying for parking and sharing the beach and surf w/ 100’s of people. I leave more stressed than when I arrived.

That's why I’m looking towards the sport boat scene. 
I’ve got a lot to learn about fishing here. I’ll figure it out.

Best regards!

JD

Posted (edited)

Get these.  If you need more support for any boots get inserts made and buy the appropriate size. (or use the Dr. Scholls gel ones)

This is a thicker sole than the regular ankle deck boot and has a little more to it.  Plenty warm with wool socks, I only break out the big boots when the temps are below freezing now.

These are the xtra tuf  "wheelhouse"  

Men's Wheelhouse 6 in Ankle Deck Boot

Edited by Tom T

Or try on the Grundens Deck Boss boots.  They have more arch support, I believe.

I

Thanks Tom!

Yes I saw those. I have custom orthotics made by my Dr.

i noticed that they didn’t get the complaints like the regular sport boots did. They seem to be much more heavy duty. Feet must be happy, if not, while body suffers.

Thanks again everyone!

JD

2 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Hey folks,

Thanks in advance,

JD

JD. Bumped a bst thread for you. I have deck boss NIB to sell cheap. 

3 hours ago, Kml said:

I second the grundens

Denny has the xtratuff, lastn2 years he is happy with them, for winter tog, stays warm.

1 hour ago, Tom T said:

Get these.  If you need more support for any boots get inserts made and buy the appropriate size. (or use the Dr. Scholls gel ones)

This is a thicker sole than the regular ankle deck boot and has a little more to it.  Plenty warm with wool socks, I only break out the big boots when the temps are below freezing now.

These are the xtra tuf  "wheelhouse"  

Men's Wheelhouse 6 in Ankle Deck Boot

I THINK these are the insulated ones, I have a pair of extratuff that are NOT insulated, I use for milder temps and fruking. So, you also want to think about insulation properties.

JJ good you are reading the reviews,

Everybody's fit is different   as is the conditions. There are a lot of choices

America's favorite Doosh gave me his size 11 grundens, my feet hurt all the time, but these ?? Are great, I use the gel inserts, I wear them walking/working around the yard.

I would buy another pair.

I also have the Xtratuff calf length, love them, warm comfy for me.

Grundens deck boss boots. 

Great arch support. Feet don’t get tired after a full day standing on deck. Even grundens flip flops have arch support.