The Dry Suit Cold Water Test for Kayak Anglers

I've been kayak fishing for over 15 years and pretty seriously for almost 10 of those years.  Over the years, I can't begin to remember how many articles and forum posts I've read about the dangers of cold water and the arguments about what to wear.  There are so many opinions, and few are based on actual experience.

At the beginning of my serious entry into kayak fishing, I decided to invest in a dry suit and it's served me well.   However, I've never been out in really cold conditions and thankfully my drysuit has only served as splash protection since I've been able to remain in the kayak.

Not knowing how long I could stay in the cold water with the drysuit or how shocking the fall in would be, has always concerned me.  Today my fishing partner and I decided to put these expensive dry suits to the test.  It's a long video, but I think the commentary along the way and seeing how long we were in the water is worthwhile, skip to the end for our final words if you don't watch the whole thing.

I now have a better feel for things and know what to expect based on actual personal experience.

17 hours ago, atv223 said:

I've been kayak fishing for over 15 years and pretty seriously for almost 10 of those years.  Over the years, I can't begin to remember how many articles and forum posts I've read about the dangers of cold water and the arguments about what to wear.  There are so many opinions, and few are based on actual experience.

At the beginning of my serious entry into kayak fishing, I decided to invest in a dry suit and it's served me well.   However, I've never been out in really cold conditions and thankfully my drysuit has only served as splash protection since I've been able to remain in the kayak.

Not knowing how long I could stay in the cold water with the drysuit or how shocking the fall in would be, has always concerned me.  Today my fishing partner and I decided to put these expensive dry suits to the test.  It's a long video, but I think the commentary along the way and seeing how long we were in the water is worthwhile, skip to the end for our final words if you don't watch the whole thing.

I now have a better feel for things and know what to expect based on actual personal experience.

Hi, great experiment and video. So, as a newbie targeting Spring and Fall, it's a case of (a) want to go fishing, make sure you have a good kayak, and (b) want to cover one of the fundamentals of ensuring you come home, get a suitable dry / semi-dry kayak suit.

27 mins ago, DST64 said:

Hi, great experiment and video. So, as a newbie targeting Spring and Fall, it's a case of (a) want to go fishing, make sure you have a good kayak, and (b) want to cover one of the fundamentals of ensuring you come home, get a suitable dry / semi-dry kayak suit.

AND know how to get back in your yak should you end up in the drink.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

43 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

AND know how to get back in your yak should you end up in the drink.

^^This is the critical piece that can't be over looked.  From my now real-world experience, the dry-suit along with a PDF, good hat and gloves, is going to do 2 primary things for you.

First, it will reduce or eliminate the involuntary gasp that causes people to suck in water when they fall in cold water unprotected.

Second, it's going to extend the time that you are functional in the water.  Functional meaning how long you have, that if you already know how to self-rescue, your muscles will function well enough that you can actually do it.  I'm extrapolating here, but I would say you'll have at least 30 minutes, probably up to an hour, where you are perfectly functional, which is way more than enough to self-rescue.

There are 3 major considertions.

1. Ability - you better be able to know how to right your kayak and get back in it easily and quickly.  Unfortunately, few people try this on a warm water lake, let alone cold, rough waters.
  2. Water in the hull - If your kayak takes on water when it's upside down, it will be much more difficult to flip back over.  The faster you get it upright, the less time water has to get in.  Testing your kayak ahead of time will give you an idea if it's got a leaky hatch that needs to be fixed.
  3. Losing your kayak - If its windy, particularly if your kayak stays upright, it's going to drift much faster than you will and likely faster than you can swim after it. A buddy or a tether is a way to mitigate this.

If you don't have the ability, your kayak can't be flipped back over, or you lose it, your drysuit isn't going to keep you alive indefinitely, so you better have a way to call for help.  Operating a cell phone in cold rough water is going to be incredibly difficult.  Just watching that recent video of the guy who flipped in the Raritan Bay and almost died, he could barely operate his phone, before he fell in.  VHF radios are helpful, but the handheld ones we carry already have limited range when we are sitting up in a kayak,  when you are at water level, and there are swells maybe someone hears you maybe they don't.  PLBs are the best option.  They work off of satellites, are waterproof, float, and are simple to deploy.

You don't want to be these people I photographed a couple of years ago.  The lake was partially frozen.  They were in jeans and hoodies.  Seeing them just walk around the parking lot, I would bet a LOT of money that they couldn't self-rescue on a windless August afternoon.  They have no idea how much danger they are in.

uwzkGkI.jpg?1

2 hours ago, atv223 said:

^^This is the critical piece that can't be over looked.  From my now real-world experience, the dry-suit along with a PDF, good hat and gloves, is going to do 2 primary things for you.

First, it will reduce or eliminate the involuntary gasp that causes people to suck in water when they fall in cold water unprotected.

Second, it's going to extend the time that you are functional in the water.  Functional meaning how long you have, that if you already know how to self-rescue, your muscles will function well enough that you can actually do it.  I'm extrapolating here, but I would say you'll have at least 30 minutes, probably up to an hour, where you are perfectly functional, which is way more than enough to self-rescue.

There are 3 major considertions.

1. Ability - you better be able to know how to right your kayak and get back in it easily and quickly.  Unfortunately, few people try this on a warm water lake, let alone cold, rough waters.
  2. Water in the hull - If your kayak takes on water when it's upside down, it will be much more difficult to flip back over.  The faster you get it upright, the less time water has to get in.  Testing your kayak ahead of time will give you an idea if it's got a leaky hatch that needs to be fixed.
  3. Losing your kayak - If its windy, particularly if your kayak stays upright, it's going to drift much faster than you will and likely faster than you can swim after it. A buddy or a tether is a way to mitigate this.

If you don't have the ability, your kayak can't be flipped back over, or you lose it, your drysuit isn't going to keep you alive indefinitely, so you better have a way to call for help.  Operating a cell phone in cold rough water is going to be incredibly difficult.  Just watching that recent video of the guy who flipped in the Raritan Bay and almost died, he could barely operate his phone, before he fell in.  VHF radios are helpful, but the handheld ones we carry already have limited range when we are sitting up in a kayak,  when you are at water level, and there are swells maybe someone hears you maybe they don't.  PLBs are the best option.  They work off of satellites, are waterproof, float, and are simple to deploy.

You don't want to be these people I photographed a couple of years ago.  The lake was partially frozen.  They were in jeans and hoodies.  Seeing them just walk around the parking lot, I would bet a LOT of money that they couldn't self-rescue on a windless August afternoon.  They have no idea how much danger they are in.

uwzkGkI.jpg?1

In your video you talked to how the neoprene helmet kept your head warmish and hair dry. What is recommended for footwear on top of a semi dry suit. Obviously, you need something that will stand walking on different surfaces between the car and water, be okay in the kayak on the water and not be an impediment for swimming if you need to. I've seen surfcasters who simply wear a cheap pair of sneakers from Walmart on top of the neoprene boot attached to waders. However, I've also read swimming with sneakers in nigh on impossible.  I have wading boots for surfcasting and hoped to use them. Now I'm not so sure. 

Excellent Test. The dry suit is the best option to stay dry but we know its not a survival suit. Time in the water is extremely limited. I think most of us would be using open finger gloves too. Even with those neoprene gloves it was instant cold and I know I don't wear a neoprene cap. 

We use to hear some bull**** out here of people who would fall in and be able to still stay and fish. I know I would be going home. Its an ordeal to dump. The 15 minute rule you had was excellent. Feeling the chill in body, fingers cold and it does not take long. Involuntary gasp taking water. It was all shown here.

Excellent job guys!

45 mins ago, DST64 said:

In your video you talked to how the neoprene helmet kept your head warmish and hair dry. What is recommended for footwear on top of a semi dry suit. Obviously, you need something that will stand walking on different surfaces between the car and water, be okay in the kayak on the water and not be an impediment for swimming if you need to. I've seen surfcasters who simply wear a cheap pair of sneakers from Walmart on top of the neoprene boot attached to waders. However, I've also read swimming with sneakers in nigh on impossible.  I have wading boots for surfcasting and hoped to use them. Now I'm not so sure. 

Everything is a compromise and I don't expect I'd be able to swim to shore, that's not part of my safety plan One thing to keep in mind is that the booties on dry suits are somewhat fragile, far more then that of stocking foot waders.  Many people have gotten pin holes in them from sand over time.  For this reason, I get dressed on a one of those old door mats that looks like AstroTurf so any sand fall through and I bought a pair of boots that will minimize sand that gets into the boot.  I have a pair of NRS ATB Wetshoes. You can look them up but they don't make them anymore.  NRS has a lot of good options.  Bootie replacements aren't cheap so its worth buying a good pair of boots to protect them.

20 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Excellent Test. The dry suit is the best option to stay dry but we know its not a survival suit. Time in the water is extremely limited. I think most of us would be using open finger gloves too. Even with those neoprene gloves it was instant cold and I know I don't wear a neoprene cap. 

We use to hear some bull**** out here of people who would fall in and be able to still stay and fish. I know I would be going home. Its an ordeal to dump. The 15 minute rule you had was excellent. Feeling the chill in body, fingers cold and it does not take long. Involuntary gasp taking water. It was all shown here.

Excellent job guys!

Thanks Riddler!  You're comments on the subject over the years was a main driver for us to do the test.  As you say, dry suits aren't survival suits, but they do add protection, exactly how much protection I didn't know.  I wanted to know first hand what it was going to be like if I ever did end up in that situation.  Hopefully this video helps out some people.

• 1 month later...

I took flak for a month for missing the January immersion test with my buddies.  I redeemed myself on Sunday by suffering through the cold water trials! 

My takeaway notes:

• Despite all the gear, I still had an involuntary reaction (mouth gasp) and took water into my mouth.  But no inhale. 
  • had zero leakage from my bargain priced $325 drysuit. 
  • I should have worn a thicker pair of wool socks over my compression socks.
  • I need a good outerwear solution to protect my feet from the cold. Something like the NRS paddle shoes/wetshoes/boundary boots.
  • My hands were surprisingly very comfortable with the Kast King River Gloves, even after submerging past the cuff and taking on water.  Prior to the the immersion test, I paddled around the lake for 90 mins and used all my kayak gear without issue. They are super warm, and essentially became wetsuit gloves once I started swimming. 
  • The water-proof Goofy ear flap hat was amazing. I didn't even realize my head went under on first flip, and my head never felt cold after 3 immersions.  This is a must have item on cold water trips.
  • Don't forget to burb the drysuit. Really burb the air out. The trade off in having warm air and flotation totally kills your mobility and swimming, which you need to recover gear and re-enter your kayak.
  • Despite the cold and restricted mobility, I was still able to effectively utilize the push/pull flip technique mentioned in SOL forums few years ago.
  • The Hobie Guardian transducer alcove provided a nice hand hold to help climb on top of the turtled kayak, and use a self-rescue rope.  
  • My empty fresh water tackle crate on the back had zero drag on flipping my kayak back over.
  • My salt water crate is a sealed, water proof food bin. But would be heavy from all the lead weights and lures.  Not sure yet how difficult it would be to upright with 10 lbs of tackle loaded inside. 
  • Rods most likely drop out of the rod holders if capsized.  If tethered, will probably have a tangled mess to deal with retrieving them.  Fewer rods probably better in open water. 
  • My Standard Horizon radio really is water proof and didn't mind the long drink.
  • Best to have paddle leashed if going onto cold water.  Could be a time waster trying to recover otherwise.
Edited by aTurtle

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 10:47 AM, CBFish said:

I haven't had the time to play through the whole video, so I apologize if you answered it there. What base-layers are you using beneath the dry suit?

I prefer non cotton but truth be told have just put on bulky cotton sweats. If its gets warm and you sweat helpful to have non cotton. There are so many first layers from inexpensive sweat pants and sweat shirts to other bulky layers of poly or wool. I still have a base layer suit called "Mysterioso", sadly that product is discontinued. You can buy an insulated union suit from kokatat and level 6 or just cruise your local walmart or outdoor store for the latest  and greatest synthetics. You may already have it at your house. If not you can meet really any budget. 

On 1/22/2023 at 4:31 PM, The Riddler said:

Excellent job guys!

I would say it depends on the season and gear. I took a swim in late November 2021 in a full dry suit (roll together bibs and drytop). While air temps may be similar, November seawater here in NJ is not as cold as March. I had to screw with my sailing rig before even righting the boat and getting back in, but I was fine once I caught my breath, and returned to fishing. I turned 60 the next month. That said, I don't think it took me 15 minutes.

In my whitewater days people would swim all the time in extremely cold water, like snowmelt, often immersed for a while in fast water before they could be fished out, and return to their boats to finish the run. FWIW, though I have not used one, I am pretty dubious about the semi-dry products, "semi" means "not really", and soaked layers can transmit the cold right through to your skin, and that can end your day.

For baselayers any noncotton will do, having a variety of light and heavy for conditions helps. Polypro tends to stink more than nylon or polyester. I bought my Stolquist basic polyester paddle sweater in 1990 and it's still going strong! I never bought a bunny suit, though they're nice to avoid a cold spot at your butt crack when your layers separate.   I can speak from long experience that a 3mm neoprene beanie hat is an awesome thing for cold water boating, even if you you don't go in the water. We would typically cut out earholes so we could hear. Properly clothed, we would flip and roll again and again playboating in very cold water. We were young and very motivated!

NSPSCMD.jpg

Edited by gellfex