Saltwater shops ??

Rate this topic

SG1

1 hour ago, surfflyguy said:

aside from the hooks being different and the reels being sealed there isnt much difference between salt and fresh I wouldny stress over it

Of course, if the shop personnel hardly (if ever) fish the salt and you're looking to get recommendations on which flies to use in various situations, how to read water, when (condition-wise) is the best time to hit the beach, etc., rather than just buying supplies/equipment, there's a big difference in how valuable your visit will be.  I don't blame the OP for wanting to find ones that cater more to SW, especially if the OP is relatively new to the SW game. 

10 hours ago, surfflyguy said:

aside from the hooks being different and the reels being sealed there isnt much difference between salt and fresh I wouldny stress over it

No stress….

Just looking for recommendations of shops outside of my area that I can visit and kill some time. I like to talk to the staff, handle some equipment, maybe pick up some new toys and material. Mostly  to kill cabin fever. There’s nothing within 90 mins of of me so these suggestions are great.  

20 mins ago, SG1 said:

No stress….

Just looking for recommendations of shops outside of my area that I can visit and kill some time. I like to talk to the staff, handle some equipment, maybe pick up some new toys and material. Mostly  to kill cabin fever. There’s nothing within 90 mins of of me so these suggestions are great.  

Gotch maybe try River Bay Outfitters in Baldwin NY

10 hours ago, East Coaster said:

Of course, if the shop personnel hardly (if ever) fish the salt and you're looking to get recommendations on which flies to use in various situations, how to read water, when (condition-wise) is the best time to hit the beach, etc., rather than just buying supplies/equipment, there's a big difference in how valuable your visit will be.  I don't blame the OP for wanting to find ones that cater more to SW, especially if the OP is relatively new to the SW game. 

Been at it since the late 80’s, all SW. Just never had  much free time to explore outside my local area.  Kids are out of the house now so I’m looking to  expand my experiences. 

• 2 weeks later...

There’s a fly shop on route 17 north bound in saddle river , upper saddle river border area he’s been there for years … streams something … I passed by this am and he was open … not sure if he’s open on Sunday and Ramsey outdoors is just up the road on the south bound side… Davis is in sloatsburg , n y , two miles over the border on 17 north not sure about his fly fishing selection … 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2023 at 7:18 PM, Surf bomber said:

There’s a fly shop on route 17 north bound in saddle river , upper saddle river border area he’s been there for years … streams something … I passed by this am and he was open … not sure if he’s open on Sunday and Ramsey outdoors is just up the road on the south bound side… Davis is in sloatsburg , n y , two miles over the border on 17 north not sure about his fly fishing selection … 

Streams of Dreams 

If it has fins i want to catch it