Alferd Packer

Water Temperature

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Well, Okay. Can you fill me in on what I need to know about water temperature. In the bay? Ocean? Up ‘til now I haven’t focused on it that much, but want to become more effective in my fishing decisions.

Let’s hear your thoughts!

4 hours ago, moocks said:

This kind of sums it up.......

thermometer.jpg.142a6d0791fcd3aa35ae3ed08351a1aa.jpg

Since our water temp is usually “smaller’ or “smallest”, can you drill down on that a bit?

27 mins ago, moocks said:

You expect me to touch that ......:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I was hoping for something uniquely Moocks! 

IME Stripers will bite in pretty much any water temp that we experience in the bay area fresh or salt. Its more a question of if they’re around or not, at any given year/month/week/etc. Generally speaking colder water can definitely make things “tricky”, but stripers feed regardless of temp/salinity. They aren’t as temperamental as a Florida strain LMB for example where their metabolism completely shuts down in cold water.

Within the Bay Area I think the correlation with water temp and its affect on baitfish/forage populations plays a bigger role in the process. Annual migration patterns also coincide with weather trends, and I’m sure water temp is a trigger of sorts for them to migrate, spawn, and repeat the cycle.

That said there seems to always be schools of fish that break the norm, sometimes they’re around and biting when they shouldn’t be. Use it as an indicator but don’t base your decisions entirely on water temp! 

On 1/21/2023 at 9:32 AM, moocks said:

This kind of sums it up.......

thermometer.jpg.142a6d0791fcd3aa35ae3ed08351a1aa.jpg

he must be a grower not a shower, this explains why all the fish here are small!

On the https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ site you can find tide stations and graph water temperatures. I read online actually it was a podcast that one "sharpie" uses a single tide station's temperature as a gauge for all of his fishing up and down the coast. Getting accurate temps not the point, it was just getting a reference point. He said like "When tide station temp is at 50 the following has happened hundreds of miles away". This is an East Coast situation but maybe same in the West Coast?