wrboz

Using old gear on party boat

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

The only thing I might do is call and ask them what line they use on the rental rods, which the majority of the guests are also likely using.

If braid, then I might switch to braid only so everyone is drifting similarly to reduce tangles. 

nuts to that. I can hardly remember being on a trip where the majority used rental rods; unless it was some kind of company outing. Braid 
+ the correctly sinker weight = less tangles EVERY time.

8 mins ago, Joe said:

nuts to that. I can hardly remember being on a trip where the majority used rental rods; unless it was some kind of company outing. Braid 
+ the correctly sinker weight = less tangles EVERY time.

If I'm on a party boat, it's with my kids out of RI or Falmouth and just about everyone on board is using a rental.

It depends upon the trip.

marathon fluke trip - hardcore guys have their own stuff
1/2 day porgy trip - the only people with their own stuff have 8 foot surf rods or barbie zebcos

Posted (edited)

30 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

If I'm on a party boat, it's with my kids out of RI or Falmouth and just about everyone on board is using a rental.

It depends upon the trip.

marathon fluke trip - hardcore guys have their own stuff
1/2 day porgy trip - the only people with their own stuff have 8 foot surf rods or barbie zebcos

now you're being ridiculous. & giving BAD advice. I've been on MANY, MANY porgy trips.

Edited by Joe

16 mins ago, Joe said:

now you're being ridiculous. & giving BAD advice. I've been on MANY, MANY porgy trips.

Joe, 
My advice is basically the same as yours.  The guy wants to use Mono.  I suggested he contact the party boat folks and see what folks are usually using on the trip he is actually going on.   If they're all using braid, I suggested using braid.    I just left out the sinker part.  The whole point is drifting at the same rate as everyone else to reduce tangles.

And my experience is very counter to yours so.... 

Ya know; it’s entirely possible you’re both right concerning braid v mono or rental v personal rigs. 

Different regions, different boats, different species, and different times of year. I suspect that guys going out in the cold weather are more serious anglers, and their tackle choices reflect that. Summer: party and catch a few. Winter: catch um!

When I was doing the party boat thing 20 years ago, on one particular boat, 75% used the rental gear which was broomsticks, 4/0 senators, 16 oz sinkers, and Dacron. Target species was blues in 80-100 feet of water, strong current. I know they used the same rigs for other species, just changed out the terminal tackle for different depths/fish/conditions.

On different boat I used to go out on, one state over, everyone brought their own gear. It was a more experienced clientele, and people generally knew what they were doing.

I am spooling up two spools. One with braid and one with mono. Then I can handle whatever’s up. My main concern is matching my drift to whatever the majority is doing. Less tangles = more fish.

On 1/20/2023 at 11:18 PM, wrboz said:

So I haven’t set foot on a party boat for around 20 years. Last time I went, I used a 1-4 oz, 20-40 lb penn slammer rod with a penn 330gti level wind and 40lb Ande mono. Adequate 1990’s technology. Is this outfit still usable today, or will I get laughed off the boat?

I'll bet the guest or rental rods on the boat are the same as they were 20 years ago. ;) 

27 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

I'll bet the guest or rental rods on the boat are the same as they were 20 years ago. ;) 

I’ll bet you’re right! There’s not much you can’t fix on old Penns except backing over them with your truck. 

6 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

Joe, 
My advice is basically the same as yours.  The guy wants to use Mono.  I suggested he contact the party boat folks and see what folks are usually using on the trip he is actually going on.   If they're all using braid, I suggested using braid.    I just left out the sinker part.  The whole point is drifting at the same rate as everyone else to reduce tangles.

And my experience is very counter to yours so.... 

My goal is to get to the bottom as fast as possible. As vertical as possible. Get a bite within 10 seconds and reel up.

If it takes more time than that. Up comes the rig. Rebait. Down it goes again. Lol

I certainly don't aim to drift with everyone just cause they're setups are doing so.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, EricL said:

My goal is to get to the bottom as fast as possible. As vertical as possible. Get a bite within 10 seconds and reel up.

If it takes more time than that. Up comes the rig. Rebait. Down it goes again. Lol

I certainly don't aim to drift with everyone just cause they're setups are doing so.

When we went last, the boat told us 1lb.  weights,  I had 2 16oz torpedos, which i thought maybe will get down faster than the cannonball, but maybe a pound is a pound...

the newbs fishing next to my newb daughter were using the rental rods with penn 4/0 spooled with 30lb mono, which was loopy AF, and when they hit bottom, they did not "flip the lever and reel up 3-4 cranks."  Instead they let more line out, which tangled up with my daughter.  After the second tangle, I moved her to my other side and let her catch fish, while i untangled with them a couple more times before i wised-up and moved us down away from them..  looking back,  we should have moved even further away.  

I just found 2 20oz. torpedos in one of the tackle boxes, so i think I'll bring those for the next trip.  Like you said, down as fast as possible and then reel 'em up.

I think i need to pump some iron...

Edited by jon_elc

21 hours ago, giggyfish said:

I still fish my Jigmasters along side my modern gear and I am a gear ho of the highest order.

I add a power handle to increase the ratio

8 hours ago, jon_elc said:

When we went last, the boat told us 1lb.  weights,  I had 2 16oz torpedos, which i thought maybe will get down faster than the cannonball, but maybe a pound is a pound...

the newbs fishing next to my newb daughter were using the rental rods with penn 4/0 spooled with 30lb mono, which was loopy AF, and when they hit bottom, they did not "flip the lever and reel up 3-4 cranks."  Instead they let more line out, which tangled up with my daughter.  After the second tangle, I moved her to my other side and let her catch fish, while i untangled with them a couple more times before i wised-up and moved us down away from them..  looking back,  we should have moved even further away.  

I just found 2 20oz. torpedos in one of the tackle boxes, so i think I'll bring those for the next trip.  Like you said, down as fast as possible and then reel 'em up.

I think i need to pump some iron...

You also need to setup your reel to be fast. 

Thin oil in spool bearings.  No grease on axles.

Nice light aluminum spool.

Similar to a castable reel. Grease will just slows it down.

Then use a thin 15-20lb braid, 30 tops.

And moving is also a great choice. I move around whenever I see a space that can get me uptide or a bit wider room

Laughing at someone’s gear? That’s weird I don’t think someone would do that.. 

if they do you can throw their rod and reel overboard or insult their daughter. 

On 1/23/2023 at 0:30 PM, wrboz said:

A few people have mentioned switching to braid.  I already use braid on all my spinning gear, both salt and freshwater. What I haven’t done is put braid on my old Penn conventionals. I know that I would have to use mono backing. I know I could stay more vertical with less weight. But how does braid do on say, an old Jigmaster? Seems like there’s a lot of space between the spool and frame. Does braid find its way into that gap? Anybody who’s using braid on old Penns, how has it worked out for you?

As long as your thumb does its job, and loads the line on the spool evenly, you won't have any problems.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

As long as your thumb does its job, and loads the line on the spool evenly, you won't have any problems.

I put 65lb on the senator 1/0, which is suposed to be thicker than the gap), just in case my 16yo. daughter used it (she'd only reeled a spinning reel a couple of times before), but i just let her reel fish in without overinstructing her about laying line with her thumb.  But this is what it looks like after the last reel up.  

AA0A647E-4A1E-41A1-8AEA-5FDD50E5F597.jpeg

But I taught her to use her thumb to control the reel so it doesn't backlash (happened 2x).  and now that she's kind of comfortable with it, I'll teach her to use her thumb for line lay next time out.  Already looking for another trip!  i think we'll do striper/halibut in the bay now that rockfish season is closed.

Edited by jon_elc