wrboz

Using old gear on party boat

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

fished out of the North Fork ,L.I. a few times bottom fishing , I pulled out my 1940's rod = broom stick :laugh: & 50's pen reel . besides winning the pool , almost everyone on our side of the boat wanted to fish it !  

Old equipment has its species & place to use 

A few people have mentioned switching to braid.  I already use braid on all my spinning gear, both salt and freshwater. What I haven’t done is put braid on my old Penn conventionals. I know that I would have to use mono backing. I know I could stay more vertical with less weight. But how does braid do on say, an old Jigmaster? Seems like there’s a lot of space between the spool and frame. Does braid find its way into that gap? Anybody who’s using braid on old Penns, how has it worked out for you?

5 mins ago, wrboz said:

A few people have mentioned switching to braid.  I already use braid on all my spinning gear, both salt and freshwater. What I haven’t done is put braid on my old Penn conventionals. I know that I would have to use mono backing. I know I could stay more vertical with less weight. But how does braid do on say, an old Jigmaster? Seems like there’s a lot of space between the spool and frame. Does braid find its way into that gap? Anybody who’s using braid on old Penns, how has it worked out for you?

No issues. I've been using a jigmaster with braid for many years

Okay, I finally got this. Jigmaster with 2 spools. 40 lb mono on one, 50 lb braid on the other. Then I will be ready for anything!

If your gear worked 20 years ago it will work now.. If anyone even notices your gear they might be curious about it.

That’s it. Go fishing and have a great time.

On 1/21/2023 at 1:09 AM, JoeyZac said:

Half the people on the party boat are drunk, and the other half suck at fishing.

Catch twice as many as them, and don't give even a first thought, let alone a second, to what any of them think or say.

So if he catches twice the fish, but is drunk, is it still half drunk and half suck at fishing. Or say someone sucks at fishing and has a lucky day and catches twice as many fish, which side does that count as? Math was never my strong point. And while the people on the boat may not laugh, I swear there have been days I've fished when I have heard the fish laughing no matter what equipment used.

And by the way, the OP's equipment should be fine, just re-spool with some fresh line. ( maybe some braid? ) and you're good to go.

On 1/21/2023 at 11:27 AM, valentine said:

In fact, the gear you’ve got from the 90’s is much more current than the stuff I’d be using from the 60’s and 70’s

On 1/21/2023 at 11:27 AM, valentine said:

Heck, I’m old Myself.

I'm a late1950's model year myself, and still work pretty ok. A lot to be said for us , I mean older fishing equipment

1 hour ago, The TideRunner said:

So if he catches twice the fish, but is drunk, is it still half drunk and half suck at fishing.

Yes, he'll be in the drunk half.

1 hour ago, The TideRunner said:

Or say someone sucks at fishing and has a lucky day and catches twice as many fish, which side does that count as?.........

If someone sucks at fishing, then they are in the "sucks at fishing" side.

This isn't hard.

3 hours ago, The TideRunner said:

I mean older fishing equipment

Old ... just means it's experienced no? :)

I've a couple original penn's left out in the garage.

Ones a sqidder 140, I still use now and then.

Posted (edited)

I too haven't been on a party boat in over 2 decades.  I hate party boats, too many drunken idiots, and risk of getting puked on.  No desire to go on 1 again unless it's a work "team building" event or something that's paid for.  Even then I'd have to think about it.  That said (if the boat rents), they'll be supplying old gear.  If it works, they keep using it.  Helps in profits.  Why buy new if the old works?  Anyone laughing at old gear would probably be too drunk and dump their new expensive gear over the rail and into the drink.

As far as line, mono is much easier to untangle than braid.  And you will get tangled. 

Edited by Skunkoff

Leave mono on your spool, most party boats don't want you to use braid for some reason. Maybe bring a spool of each, this way you won't be forced to use the junk on the boat

1 hour ago, Fishit 2 said:

Leave mono on your spool, most party boats don't want you to use braid for some reason. Maybe bring a spool of each, this way you won't be forced to use the junk on the boat

Not true. hasn't been for MANY years

Posted (edited)

21 hours ago, wrboz said:

I still fish my Jigmasters along side my modern gear and I am a gear ho of the highest order. Braid will not present an issue unless you fall asleep leveling your line or decide to cast and birds nest. The latter is obviously discouraged on a party boat. 

15 hours ago, wrboz said:

Okay, I finally got this. Jigmaster with 2 spools. 40 lb mono on one, 50 lb braid on the other. Then I will be ready for anything!

Solid plan. 

Edited by giggyfish

The only thing I might do is call and ask them what line they use on the rental rods, which the majority of the guests are also likely using.

If braid, then I might switch to braid only so everyone is drifting similarly to reduce tangles. 

Posted (edited)

Used my grandpa's 1960s Senator 1/0 on party boats a couple of times. I serviced it and it works great. drops down just as fast as the other reels. the low gear ratio is easier to crank..  

I have 65lb braid on it.  I put a new handle and bigger knob on it. 

here's a zoomed in look at my daughter, first time in the ocean, first time on a party boat -  who used it at 300ft with a 16 oz torpedo sinker and a doubled up catch

212A6F93-F711-46E4-857F-DD20078DD09E.jpeg

Edited by jon_elc

1 hour ago, jon_elc said:

Used my grandpa's 1960s Senator 1/0 on party boats a couple of times. I serviced it and it works great. drops down just as fast as the other reels. the low gear ratio is easier to crank..  

I have 65lb braid on it.  I put a new handle and bigger knob on it. 

here's a zoomed in look at my daughter, first time in the ocean, first time on a party boat -  who used it at 300ft with a 16 oz torpedo sinker and a doubled up catch

212A6F93-F711-46E4-857F-DD20078DD09E.jpeg

Another benefit of older slower reels are they are less likely to pull hooks on the retrieve when dealing with softer mouthed fishes like haddock. The high speed winches make short work of checking your bait or reeling up to change locations but rip way more lips if you don’t consciously make an effort to crank slooooowwwwly.