wrboz

Using old gear on party boat

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, wrboz said:

So I haven’t set foot on a party boat for around 20 years. Last time I went, I used a 1-4 oz, 20-40 lb penn slammer rod with a penn 330gti level wind and 40lb Ande mono. Adequate 1990’s technology. Is this outfit still usable today, or will I get laughed off the boat?

You have to ask yourself three questions"

1)  Did you use the gear successfully twenty years ago?

2)  Have the fish evolved in any material way since then?

3)  Do you really care if someone laughs?

If the answer to 1) is yes, and the answer to 2) is no, then you can successfully employ such gear.

If the answer to 3) is yes, you have bigger problems than catching fish, and a visit to a therapist might be indicated.

Sounds like the same scene that was happening when I last set foot on a party boat! (except for the Dacron). Just looked at some old photos, it’s been since 2002!

I fish weekly; surf, jetties, rivers,  and freshwater. I’m comfortable using my old penn boat rigs - I’ve been using them right along  and don’t really care that the old guy has old gear.

Thinking about it, what actually concerns me is using mono. What are the boats using on their rental rigs these days? (I would guess mono because it’s cheaper). I just don’t wanna be the only guy using mono if most are using braid; don’t want to be that guy creating chaos at the rail because my weight/line choices!

As above your gear is fine. In fact have often thought about putting together a nice 60's rig just for the sport of it.

Only recommend,,,, Carefully check the guides for cracks or corrosion,  fresh line and make sure the drags are nice and smooth,,,, no herky, jerky...

Best of luck

Walt

6 hours ago, wrboz said:

Thinking about it, what actually concerns me is using mono. What are the boats using on their rental rigs these days? (I would guess mono because it’s cheaper). I just don’t wanna be the only guy using mono if most are using braid; don’t want to be that guy creating chaos at the rail because my weight/line choices!

Rental rigs have been 100% mono in my experience. Generally at least 50lbs to haul anything hooked over the rail and aid in untangling.

If it caught fish 20 years ago it’ll catch the same fish now, they aren’t getting much smarter.

the gear may not be as light, smooth, or user  friendly as new flashy stuff, but it’ll still get the job done like it did when you first bought it.

one big change you can make for cheap is line. Depending on what type of fishing you’re doing, braid instead of mono will make it much easier and more enjoyable for you. After 20+ years you’ll probably want to change out that line if it hasn’t been changed out recently. 

9 hours ago, wrboz said:

Just spool up a good 40lb braid. Not too thick or thin in case tangles happen. The thinner line allows you to stay more vertical and connected to bottom with less weight compared to mono.
Makes it much more enjoyable reeling up less weight. 

I never had problems even running 20lb braid although many mates shun it.

I hardly ever drop straight down unless the fish are also there. 9/10 times I'll throw it out a few feet.  So any other lines typically drift pass or under it. I reel up after they do.

Whatever you use remember to wrap the sinker around the rail once or twice when moving from drop to drop so it doesn’t swing and damage your rod. 

On 1/20/2023 at 4:18 PM, wrboz said:

So I haven’t set foot on a party boat for around 20 years. Last time I went, I used a 1-4 oz, 20-40 lb penn slammer rod with a penn 330gti level wind and 40lb Ande mono. Adequate 1990’s technology. Is this outfit still usable today, or will I get laughed off the boat?

What type of party boat trip are you planning, or are you thinking of trying multiple types? When and from where are you thinking of going?  

I ask because if you’re winter fishing in NJ, and I assume NY, RI, and MA, you’ll experience a much different crowd than if you’re fluke fishing on a perfect summer day. 

I went out several weeks ago out of NJ for blackfish. The crowd on the boat, for the most part, was very serious and experienced, and plenty of skilled anglers were on board (excluding me…I just get by). Equipment was mostly modern, some high end and specialized to the type of fishing. That doesn’t mean you can’t catch effectively on classic gear, and honestly, I don’t think anyone else would care about your gear so neither should you. 

It’s probably not a bad idea to give the boat a call to see what  most people are using line-wise. You don’t want to be the guy spending all day untangling your line because you’re not staying vertical. 

Hope this helps and most of all, have fun out there. I like heading out on party boats when my boat is out for the winter. Nice way to treat cabin fever. 

On every party boat trip I have been on tangles occur.  I could never be a mate, their patience level far exceeds mine. They must curse the day braid was invented. It says alot for 6 pack charters because everyone on the boat knows how to follow their line and are on the same page. Some people have never fished before and go out on a party boat and if the boat has mates that don't pay attention it turns into a f...show. Needless to say there are some excellent party boats with great Captains and mates. Use what you have and see how things go. Enjoy!

On 1/20/2023 at 2:14 PM, Surf bomber said:

Most important have fun …

Agree.

Other than family it's been my biggest expense and worth every penny.

4 hours ago, SeaZen 21 said:

It’s probably not a bad idea to give the boat a call to see what  most people are using line-wise. You don’t want to be the guy spending all day untangling your line because you’re not staying vertical. 

That is exactly my concern! I will make some calls.