wrboz

Using old gear on party boat

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

So I haven’t set foot on a party boat for around 20 years. Last time I went, I used a 1-4 oz, 20-40 lb penn slammer rod with a penn 330gti level wind and 40lb Ande mono. Adequate 1990’s technology. Is this outfit still usable today, or will I get laughed off the boat?

There’s people who laugh at others who have $900 Van Staal reels just because they have a bail on it. I wouldn’t worry too much about the gear you’re bringing with you. 

Don’t worry about who is saying what … let the fish you catch do the talking for you… party boats have a way of beating up fishing tackle … I go heavier than light older than new … if the  older functions as it should and is in good repair …. Most important have fun …

I just dog out an old Penn Longbeach 60, I’m going to spool it up and Fishit this season.  The old stuff was built well and I trust that it works like it’s supposed to every time I need it.

every charter boat who rents rod to fishermen still uses the old penn reei. easy to clean and fix

I have the same rod and a 310 and wouldn't hesitate to use it.

With fresh line of course :)

8 hours ago, wrboz said:

So I haven’t set foot on a party boat for around 20 years. Last time I went, I used a 1-4 oz, 20-40 lb penn slammer rod with a penn 330gti level wind and 40lb Ande mono. Adequate 1990’s technology. Is this outfit still usable today, or will I get laughed off the boat?

Half the people on the party boat are drunk, and the other half suck at fishing.

Catch twice as many as them, and don't give even a first thought, let alone a second, to what any of them think or say.

Depends on the boat. If a salt water washdown of the deck on the way back to the dock is part of the game, I lock down the drag on my old reel  and not worry about it. It also depends on what your fishing for, maybe fishing lighter line and outfit. Fluke vs Cod ex: Braid vs Mono.  Also what kind of bottom/wrecks. It's not a fashion show, have fun. 

In addition to your fishing skill, bring sharp hooks, good line and fluorocarbon leader.  Listen to the crew to minimize tangles.  If you're fishing straight down over about 50', braided line will give you an advantage.  If you're fishing live bait with little to no weight, a fluorocarbon leader will give you an advantage.

Good luck and I hope you're one of the 10% who catch 90% of the fish.

Posted (edited)

The only times I've felt judgemental about somebody else's tackle on a party boat is when:

1. The tackle is clearly and objectively worse than that included in the ticket. Somebody on a Stellwagon trip with a rod with 3 guides that is missing one of them, the reel held on with electrical tape, and half a spool of battered line has gone to at least some effort to have a worse time than if they had done nothing.

2. They have brought the wrong gear. LMB flipping stick on the aforementioned Stellwagon trip. 10+' surfcasting rig on any trip.

3. Electric reels. Exactly one time I encountered somebody with an electric reel that was not completely inattentive and ruined the trip for everyone in the general area with their tangles. One guy had a trolling flasher above his bottom rig. I think he fished about eleven minutes out of an eight hour trip, with the rest of the time spent watching mates try to unbraid the 4-10 customers he ensnared on each drop.

Edited by ermghoti

You may also run into some unsavory characters on a party boat.

Loud, rude and sometimes drunk.

You could also encounter those who would try to help themselves to other peoples things while they’re not looking.

For those reasons, I wouldn’t be taking any of my best gear.

And as others have said, who the heck cares what someone else thinks of your old gear anyway?

Just go to have a bit of fun, catch some fish and not waste any time thinking about whether your gear is current and fashionable.

I’ve got 50 year old conventional rigs I’d use without a second thought and if someone commented on my old gear I’d laugh.

In fact, the gear you’ve got from the 90’s is much more current than the stuff I’d be using from the 60’s and 70’s.

And every old reel I have functions as well as when it was new so I make no apologies for having and using old stuff.

Heck, I’m old Myself.

Old gear suits me just fine.

PBs are another animal.

using older gear is fine since no one else cares for it.

bumps and bangs.  sharp jagged rod holders.  saltwater washdowns. flailing sinkers.

none of that is nice to shiny pristine gear.