riverside_eng

What to wear fishing North Shore in the Spring?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

So I have been researching into surf fishing for this coming spring and there is a ton of information online (and on this forum) however I can't really figure out what seems to be a pre question before I am able to research specifically what exact outerwear to plan on purchasing.

There is tons of information about waders, wet suits, or just general rain gear individually but I haven't hit on a search to find out what is the basic needs for someone just get out and have an average chance.  I went into it not really planning to do any wading, especially to start, however after lots of research its not really clear if that would be putting me in a position where I am ill equiped to realistically get out and fish the surf.  Its a mixure of hesitance around cost, and risk since if I don't plan on wading out I am less likely to get in over my head figuratively and literally when trying to scout out spots.

Is it realistic to expect to be able to go out in decent boots, water/weather reistant pants and coat, and go surf fishing or does one really need to plan to invest in waders or wetsuit to have a shot at decent fishing.  I realize that more gear buys more opportunities and range into the water however I can't tell if that is something that is reasonable to put off till I am more experienced?

9 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

For what it's worth i go surf fishing in my work clothes. Honestly as long as you are comfortable that's what matters

That is good to know,  it is always a bit hard to gauge what the average person does when the most prolific people tend to also be the most hardcore.

Just have to check, you don't scuba dive for work right?  Otherwise that might throw off what fishing in work clothes would constitute. :)

Separately, does that mean I hold off on buying these till memorial day?

grundens-h16w-hercules-16-bib-pant-white

Posted (edited)

4 mins ago, riverside_eng said:

That is good to know,  it is always a bit hard to gauge what the average person does when the most prolific people tend to also be the most hardcore.

Just have to check, you don't scuba dive for work right?  Otherwise that might throw off what fishing in work clothes would constitute. :)

Separately, does that mean I hold off on buying these till memorial day?

Ha! No I work in an office. I fish in slacks and a button down shirt, albeit a casual one. And go ahead and buy those waders if you want, its just supposed to be bad luck if you wear them ahead of time, or something like that.

If you want to get out deeper just take off your socks and shoes and wade out. Distance usually isnt an issue in the spring and the only reason you might end up getting your feet wet is releasing or bringing in a fish. Your pants will get a little wet but if your socks and shoes stay dry you will be comfortable on the ride back. Just my own two cents.

Edited by Richard_the_Aughth

3 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Ha! No I work in an office. I fish in slacks and a button down shirt, albeit a casual one. And go ahead and buy those waders if you want, its just supposed to be bad luck if you wear them ahead of time, or something like that.

If you want to get out deeper just take off your socks and shoes and wade out. Distance usually isnt an issue in the spring and the only reason you might end up getting your feet wet is releasing or bringing in a fish. Your pants will get a little wet but if your socks and shoes stay dry you will be comfortable on the ride back. Just my own two cents.

Good to know.

From having an active 4 year old who likes to get out and run around in all sorts of muck I have a variety of different water compatible options so I should be good up to mid calf without too much worry.  Its whether I would need wading gear to fish in the spring that I was worried about.  However knowing my kid I might need waders just to get her the next time she decides to run directly into a lake or pond without considering the consequences.

Wear whatever you want and dress for the weather. Bring whatever waders or hip boots you have and only use them where you think it's possible or needed. If you don't have any, I would not buy them until you think there is a need. The North Shore is in reference to a lot of shoreline with very different types of structure from rocks, to sandy surf, gravel, mud, weeds, backwaters, etc. Stripers come into very shallow water and sometimes it may help you to be in the water and likewise, sometimes it may not. 

Save your money for a rainy day. 

Where you're fishing and the conditions dictate what is best to wear usually.

Rarely do you need *ALL* of the gear that you'll see some people promenading around with.  

You mentioned spring, meaning it's gonna be cold.  If it's cold, I want to stay dry.  Landing a fish in the surf ethically (IE not dragging it up 40 feet of sand) means getting wet. 

I like wearing breathable waders almost everywhere year round, even if I'm not "wading" .  I might look silly sometimes when everyone else is in swim trunks, but when I get back to the truck I take em off and I'm dry and can head right to... (work, the bar, a date, etc..)     

You can get a decent pair of breathable waders and wading boots for ~ $150 or less if you shop around.  
I'm due to replace my 3 year old pair of waders I got at Bass Pro for ~$100 on sale.  Too many leaks, but I'll keep them for fishing the canal where I don't even go in the water, but often sit/slide/fall on the rocks and bubble weed.

6 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

Where you're fishing and the conditions dictate what is best to wear usually.

Rarely do you need *ALL* of the gear that you'll see some people promenading around with.  

You mentioned spring, meaning it's gonna be cold.  If it's cold, I want to stay dry.  Landing a fish in the surf ethically (IE not dragging it up 40 feet of sand) means getting wet. 

I like wearing breathable waders almost everywhere year round, even if I'm not "wading" .  I might look silly sometimes when everyone else is in swim trunks, but when I get back to the truck I take em off and I'm dry and can head right to... (work, the bar, a date, etc..)     

You can get a decent pair of breathable waders and wading boots for ~ $150 or less if you shop around.  
I'm due to replace my 3 year old pair of waders I got at Bass Pro for ~$100 on sale.  Too many leaks, but I'll keep them for fishing the canal where I don't even go in the water, but often sit/slide/fall on the rocks and bubble weed.

That makes sense, I assumed I would need to factor in a certain amount of water protection.  I can see if I am getting out often enough (or feeling limited) I would need to look at waders down the line.

Quick drying pants is all you need even in the spring. Wet feet on a cold day sucks but above 60 degrees it’s no big deal.

Nobody has ever wished they bought more gear when they were just starting out.

Posted (edited)

Just your standard spring outdoor wardrobe: water resistant light jackets/coats, and pants. Throw in a watch cap and gloves for cold mornings and evenings. Be prepared to adapt with additional layers. I would suggest getting a good pair of knee high neoprene boots, be sure to wear midweight merino wool socks. I personally wear the Wetland Boot from the Muckboot company. I’ve had them for 3 to 4 years. They’ve held up wonderfully through duck hunting, fishing, and shellfishing. 

Edited by evancanalrat

On 1/20/2023 at 11:46 PM, evancanalrat said:

Just your standard spring outdoor wardrobe: water resistant light jackets/coats, and pants. Throw in a watch cap and gloves for cold mornings and evenings. Be prepared to adapt with additional layers. I would suggest getting a good pair of knee high neoprene boots, be sure to wear midweight merino wool socks. I personally wear the Wetland Boot from the Muckboot company. I’ve had them for 3 to 4 years. They’ve held up wonderfully through duck hunting, fishing, and shellfishing. 

Love the Arctic Muck boots I wear for snow shoveling.  Will have to check out to the wetlands line.