The fly show - Marlborough

Rate this topic

Fergal

23 hours ago, Fergal said:

I'll give it a solid 'meh'. Not having Keough there was a HUGE disappointment. Flat Wing had some good saddle, but it was priced accordingly. I didn't really want flat wing type stuff but it was the best there. I scored some nice bucktails and a very amazing one as well, again fairly priced. I picked up some other materials that I don't see often and an unexpected reel purchase rounded out the day. I spent ~2 hours there. Went thru quick once, and then took some time. I'd say that there were fewer retail options vs the las time the show was held, also probably fewer vendors overall. Next year I might skip this one and hit Edison. It's a good bit bigger and has some talent that I'd like to vs this one. In the end, it beat working, that's for sure.

Yep! Looking at 100 miles one way and snow,rain,&495 nuts driving.I decided on staying put.No Bill Keough was the main stopper.I have plenty of most everything else for years.Elbow deep in Bills boxes was a tradition and always found plenty of "unique" capes.Not going yesterday saved me appx.$500.$100 just for getting there and the rest most likely gone to Bill[ prior history]. I guess also the Fly Shack was missing too[great people.We helped them set up 3 years ago when the 2 trucks went to the wrong shows.Up till 3a.m. on Friday].They had lots of just about everything you would need to tie with.

3 hours ago, theshadow said:

Yep! Looking at 100 miles one way and snow,rain,&495 nuts driving.I decided on staying put.No Bill Keough was the main stopper.I have plenty of most everything else for years.Elbow deep in Bills boxes was a tradition and always found plenty of "unique" capes.Not going yesterday saved me appx.$500.$100 just for getting there and the rest most likely gone to Bill[ prior history]. I guess also the Fly Shack was missing too[great people.We helped them set up 3 years ago when the 2 trucks went to the wrong shows.Up till 3a.m. on Friday].They had lots of just about everything you would need to tie with.

The snow wasn't too bad, at least for my trip. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

Show was OK, I got out of there cheaper than any other year I can remember. 

I met Seadogg, and chatted with him for a while. Nice meeting you Casey. I picked up a handful of his flies with what remaining cash I had. I have seen some good looking Whores but these are next level. Nice meeting you. 

Embrace American Privilege

1 hour ago, DAQ said:

Show was OK, I got out of there cheaper than any other year I can remember. 

I met Seadogg, and chatted with him for a while. Nice meeting you Casey. I picked up a handful of his flies with what remaining cash I had. I have seen some good looking Whores but these are next level. Nice meeting you. 

Great meeting you too. Always fun talking fishing and also putting a face to the name. 

What a fantastic show this year! Everyone I spoke to agreed that the energy was excellent, and Saturday's crowd in particular was one of the larger ones I've seen at Marlborough. They sure kept me busy --  two presentations and Featured Fly Tier (Presentation Flies for Striped Bass) on Friday, then a class and a talk on both Saturday and Sunday. Thanks so much to those who came to catch a talk or a demo or take a class. I spent some time rummaging through Joe Cordeiro's flatwing stash, and I scored some quality bucktails from Brad Buzzi. I know many value the show for the vendors -- I do too -- but the sheer volume of opportunities to meet and talk to some of the most talented anglers and tiers in the industry is astonishing. So in my down time, I went to demos and talks by Alan Caolo, Ed Engle, Landon Mayer, John Shaner, Tim Flagler, and Jason Randall -- not to mention hanging out on fly tier's row. I'm really looking forward to Edison this weekend. Hope to see you there!

WetFlyClass.jpeg.d188aa54f772cbd49973e937595a39ff.jpeg

This is from my Saturday class, Tying and Fishing Wet Flies. Many thanks to Tom for taking the photo, and I'm hoping I started every attendee on the pathway to becoming a dangerous wet fly machine.

Steve Culton 

"We fish for pleasure; I for Mine, you for yours."
-- James Leisenring