anyone

Rate this topic

capesams

Thanks...what caught fish in the pst will still catch fish to day...pick up some beaters to dssect you will be amazed how they made them without all the tools we have today..swivels made from yes  38 brass shell  casings and a little wire. the list goes on..you will learn things you would never think of and have fun in the process.

5 hours ago, capesams said:

Thanks...what caught fish in the pst will still catch fish to day...pick up some beaters to dssect you will be amazed how they made them without all the tools we have today..swivels made from yes  38 brass shell  casings and a little wire. the list goes on..you will learn things you would never think of and have fun in the process.

Going to make some FLAPTAILS

Maybe Lido Style?  Eastern White Pine.  Have brass as well as 2 thicknesses of stainless steel for the tails.  

Why aren’t you fishing?

12 hours ago, capesams said:

I always liked thinner lighter tails as they didn't take a lot  to get them moving...but then again some  were made of all lead to help them get better distance.

I would think no tail weight needed with the lead flaptails?  The thick brass ones I have are fairly heavy.

Why aren’t you fishing?

yes the idea eas to make the tails out of heavier metal to take the place of a tail lead....but i like white while some like black...it's up to the builder an where they like to fish..if you like shallow flats and don't need to cast far..lighter is better but if your fishing a beach an need to get to that hole thats way out there then a heavy tail is your ticket... . one size doesn't fit all.

On 1/18/2023 at 7:55 AM, capesams said:

I always liked thinner lighter tails as they didn't take a lot  to get them moving...but then again some  were made of all lead to help them get better distance.

I never saw lead used but think I had a Bernie Myers flaptail with a "sculptured fishscale"  block tin flap

On 1/17/2023 at 3:59 PM, capesams said:

spinning any vintage plug shapes an not just tube shape things or needles...,go for the gold and jump into  the past..can you tell i miss being able to make plugs..you guy's who still  are no slacking off...git her done...that is all . .u  lucky dog's.

If I can scrounge up some time this weekend I was gonna try and make some Nike swimmers.    Just have to figure out how I'm gonna cut the slant 

On 1/19/2023 at 6:09 PM, LB said:

Here is one l made from old Pfluger Mustang plugs l bought a batch of these plugs on Ebay some years back, and turned this one into a flaptail, works great move the hook back some the plug was 5in Mustang 20200121_182746.jpg.ffe3538c9b088bc331f6ffad87fe3970.jpg

back in my younger days 12 to 16 I used nothing but the ballerinas in that shape moving ahead many many years I took that shape and made some 4 to 5 inches...I took more fish on that top water plug then any other plug I had..shes a great plug shape to copy   and  fish hands  down.still love it to this day 56 years later.

16 mins ago, capesams said:

back in my younger days 12 to 16 I used nothing but the ballerinas in that shape moving ahead many many years I took that shape and made some 4 to 5 inches...I took more fish on that top water plug then any other plug I had..shes a great plug shape to copy   and  fish hands  down.still love it to this day 56 years later.

Then you should remember this plug it's the Plfuger Pal O Mine the Ballerina was made off this body design l still use this plug as you can see.

20200327_134558.jpg.24ae63bee4bfc9b130327897b984957d.jpg

Is this the color that you have? Blue mullet with yellow belly they also came with a white belly?

63cc004edbefc_PfluegerBallerina3.JPG.7fecc05cfd7669d81238b30500aa6549.JPG