Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lostinthewash

Psa to all kayakers

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Most of the time the bay appears benign. You don't know what you don't know. The video will help some from making the same mistake.

Posted (edited)

Here's a serious question. Why don't yak fishermen use outriggers? I never see them being used... it seems like they would be very helpful. 

Edited by adams54

1 hour ago, fishless said:

It might make a difference among certain age groups.  

Maybe, but to get the fearless youngins  you gotta get Mr Beast to rebrand the video & push it out on his channel. 

49 mins ago, adams54 said:

Here's a serious question. Why don't yak fishermen use outriggers? I never see them being used... it seems like they would be very helpful. 

I'll take a stab at that and suggest that the user probably feels the optics is embarrassing thinking they are equal to training wheels.  

I was caught one day on the RB many miles from my launch point when the wind shifted hard out of the East unexpectedly.  This was not forecasted.  Large white caps formed immediately.  I spun around and tried to stay on the back of the cresting wave as long as I could before I would finally slip off.  The wave behind me would pick me up causing a brief moment of awkwardness before I regained stability, and I would follow the same process.  I stayed on a SW heading to ride the waves while inching close to shore.  I chose not to head in straight to shore to avoid taking the waves directly on my port side.    In the meantime, boats are hauling a$$ back to their marinas with no concern for me creating cross wakes to contend with.  I was fully expecting to roll and work on my re-entry skills but somehow made it back.  I had spectators on the sod banks watching my return.  They were keeping an eye on me in case of an emergency.   To this day I do not trust the forecasts or apps much anymore and will continue to fish closer to shore.   I do trust my boat though.  It stayed steady or stable.  

I will share one thing that Shipwreck from here posted many years ago.  To paraphrase, when you hear the line on your rod start to sing, it's time to head back.    

4 hours ago, adams54 said:

I bet the outriggers get in the way of line in the water, fighting a hooked fish, etc. 

Then there’s the time consideration. You probably have to disassemble outriggers to put a kayak in or on your vehicle. And put them on at location and back off when you leave.

Time of prep & packing to leave, as well as equipment costs, these are the main reasons I haven’t gone further with kayak fishing. 

3 mins ago, EricDice said:

I bet the outriggers get in the way of line in the water, fighting a hooked fish, etc. 

Then there’s the time consideration. You probably have to disassemble outriggers to put a kayak in or on your vehicle. And put them on at location and back off when you leave.

Time of prep & packing to leave, as well as equipment costs, these are the main reasons I haven’t gone further with kayak fishing. 

Good points Eric. This might be more accurate then the "training wheels" theory by fishless. 

Just saw a report of a kayaker they just found dead in Texas.  Wearing khakis, a sweat shirt I believe and sneakers.  No mention of a PFD.  I believe part of the issue here is that the kayak community has pushed the envelope on what these boats were intended for.  I know the guys that started the trend as I used to fish with them in Long Island Sound, back in the day.  I always have hated fishing out of a kayak because your sitting down.  I used it as a tool to get to places and then would fish from shore. You have kayaks in the MTK rip, middle of Raritan Bay on a brisk Spring day. It's not if something bad is going to happen, but when..

2 hours ago, 27conch said:

Just saw a report of a kayaker they just found dead in Texas.  Wearing khakis, a sweat shirt I believe and sneakers.  No mention of a PFD.  I believe part of the issue here is that the kayak community has pushed the envelope on what these boats were intended for.  I know the guys that started the trend as I used to fish with them in Long Island Sound, back in the day.  I always have hated fishing out of a kayak because your sitting down.  I used it as a tool to get to places and then would fish from shore. You have kayaks in the MTK rip, middle of Raritan Bay on a brisk Spring day. It's not if something bad is going to happen, but when..

No arguments here. Testing your own ability to self rescue should be a self imposed prerequisite to hitting big water & cold water.  

Spontaneity & convenience be damned. 

21 hours ago, adams54 said:

Good points Eric. This might be more accurate then the "training wheels" theory by fishless. 

Generally speaking, the pontoons would be mounted to the back.  If trolling your lines will be up and out beyond the pontoons.  When I hook up I'm spinning the kayak around so now I am facing the fish I am fighting, and the pontoons are not in the way.  If I am casting either blindly or into surface activity, I'm doing it casting in a forward direction so again the pontoons are not in the way.  However, if I did find myself in an awkward position where the fish swung back behind me and I did not adjust the kayaks position to continue the fight then I would not be afraid to swing it up and over the pontoon itself.  Just my 2 cents.  

Hobie.jpg

7 mins ago, fishless said:

Generally speaking, the pontoons would be mounted to the back.  If trolling your lines will be up and out beyond the pontoons.  When I hook up I'm spinning the kayak around so now I am facing the fish I am fighting, and the pontoons are not in the way.  If I am casting either blindly or into surface activity, I'm doing it casting in a forward direction so again the pontoons are not in the way.  However, if I did find myself in an awkward position where the fish swung back behind me and I did not adjust the kayaks position to continue the fight then I would not be afraid to swing it up and over the pontoon itself.  Just my 2 cents.  

Hobie.jpg

Another point for your training wheels theory. Another serious question...how do you like fishing seated in a yak? Is it bad for the back?

12 mins ago, adams54 said:

Another point for your training wheels theory. Another serious question...how do you like fishing seated in a yak? Is it bad for the back?

For sure I'm not supporting the training wheels theory as being sound.  It's about as foolish a reason as there is yet I've heard ppl openly discuss it.  As for comfort, while this is not my setup my seat is similar, and it is very comfortable.  

Whereas having pontoons would undoubtedly improve your kayak stability eventually they would get in the way of your fishing. I prefer trolling with my rod in rod holder in front of me not in the back. It is is much easier to notice subtle hits and react to it than when having rod behind you. I prefer my trolling rod tip to be closer to water surface compared to rod in "rocket launcher" type rod holder in the back. As much as you try to maneuver not to get your line in those outriggers holding pontoons  it will inevitably happen while reeling in the fish. And when you get tangled with outrigger being out of reach you will have to go back to the beach to free your lure. In prefect weather conditions maybe it would occur fewer times but than you don't need pontoons either. When windy with strong currents and rough sees being out mile or so having line wrapped around pontoons would not be any fun at all.

Posted (edited)

On 1/25/2023 at 0:18 PM, adams54 said:

No issues with my back after several hours seated in a yak.  Pretty comfortable.

As for the video, the guy did almost every possible thing wrong. He was lucky he survived.  I'm doing a kayak fishing seminar at Surf Day; safety is going be the first thing I'll be talking about.

Edited by GeoffT

28 mins ago, GeoffT said:

No issues with my back after several hours seated in a yak.  Pretty comfortable.

As for the video, the guy did almost every possible thing wrong. He was lucky he survived.  I'm doing a kayak fishing seminar at Surf Day; safety is going be the first thing I'll be talking about.

Nice, I'll catch you afterward.  

8 hours ago, GeoffT said:

Oh great...when is your book coming out?