Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lostinthewash

Psa to all kayakers

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Death always awaits, but so do the rewards!

Launching bright and early tomorrow with a buddy.

5 mins ago, JimK said:

Isn't this already being discussed in the kayak forum?

Yep. Maybe i can save it with the unicorn going out to sea… by a shark. Clown show really - whole thing.

Posted (edited)

36 mins ago, phishallways said:

Yep. Maybe i can save it with the unicorn going out to sea… by a shark. Clown show really - whole thing.

Seems staged to me.. but wild if it's for real... At least he's smarter than the kayak dude.. he's wearing a PFD. Hilarious really.

Edited by JimK

Yup, wearing waders in a sit top yak with no pfd in big swells and 40 mph winds. What could possibly go wrong ?

3 hours ago, bdowning said:

Yup, wearing waders in a sit top yak with no pfd in big swells and 40 mph winds. What could possibly go wrong ?

I venture to guess thousands of people die every year from not knowing better and many of them are not stupid even though their actions would suggest otherwise. It’s the reason why I don’t trust even my most intelligent kids to be in slightly dangerous situations (often of their own making) - minus the times when I’m with them & it’s still a calculated risk of being damn sure I can reasonably save them.

Some people just don’t outgrow that.

This guy… 

He didn’t know enough to not go out. I believe that because I doubt he could have realized in advance that he would more than likely be dead versus returning home safe. The odds that he was spotted capsizing from land and that help arrived in time… I bet it’s less than a coin flip. Probably much less.

But I do think this is a valuable lesson that he chose to share. 

I'll give him credit for swallowing his pride and posting the video. Most people would be too embarrassed to make something like that public. As we all know all the keyboard facebook and Instagram heros are all 10ft tall, blessed by the fishing gods and are direct descendants of Neptune himself. I bet it will have some impact and save a life or 2.  

26 mins ago, adams54 said:

I'll give him credit for swallowing his pride and posting the video. Most people would be too embarrassed to make something like that public. As we all know all the keyboard facebook and Instagram heros are all 10ft tall, blessed by the fishing gods and are direct descendants of Neptune himself. I bet it will have some impact and save a life or 2.  

I was just about to say the same.  Foolish in his decisions but humble enough to share his mistakes.  

@adams54 and @fishless -agreed!

I also took away a lesson from this that….

putting aside the ridiculous decisions he made, even if you go out alone in prime conditions wearing a PFD & slightly more suitable survival gear, you’re still in a really risky situation once you’re in in cold water.

Posted (edited)

You can't correct stupid.  That entire video from start to finish, needs no comment.  It also won't stop others from being stupid.

Edited by 27conch
spelling

18 mins ago, 27conch said:

You can't correct stuid.  That entire video from start to finish, needs no coment.  It also won't stop others from being stuid.

It really should scare the bejesus out of people. That’s an underrated pure luck moment. He was as good as dead had he not been seen. 

But it won't Eric.  This guy did just about everything wrong.  Just based on the wind forecast, he never should have been there in the first place in a kayak.  Hard west or east in RB is always ugly. Then he is taking pictures, like we really need more striped bass pictures??

On 1/22/2023 at 4:41 PM, 27conch said:

But it won't Eric.  This guy did just about everything wrong.  Just based on the wind forecast, he never should have been there in the first place in a kayak.  Hard west or east in RB is always ugly. Then he is taking pictures, like we really need more striped bass pictures??

It was all cringeworthy and I’m sure you’re right that it won’t make much difference. I guess I’m hoping it does mainly to keep less rescuers exposed to risks. 

10 hours ago, EricDice said:

It was all cringeworthy and I’m sure you’re right that it won’t make much difference. I guess I’m hoping it does mainly to keep less rescuers exposed to risks. 

It might make a difference among certain age groups.