Dave588

Environment

Rate this topic

312 posts in this topic

1 min ago, Jeff270 said:

You lost me, sorry.  I thought you were calling for the curtailment of using salt on roads.  

For clarity, what are you saying?

Seriously? On third page of thread? 

34 mins ago, Dave588 said:

Its already been stated that certain conditions require certain actions. Not one action for every condition.

The salt this morning didnt help with any of these accidents or traction problems

22 mins ago, zak-striper said:

I've known plenty of people over the years, friends or co-workers, who totaled their cars thanks to black ice when snow/sleet melted, then froze overnight. I've seen plenty of cars spin out of control on icy, snowy highways as well during storms before the sand/salt trucks came out. Especially on the pike, in the stretch between Palmer and Shrewsbury, which has a higher elevation than Boston or the CT river valley, causing that section of the pike to ice up.

Suppose this aforementioned refreeze was caused by the salt application and its black ice in one of lesser treated areas.

Just salting all the time in every condition is not good for environment or effective.

I hate road salt and pre treat chemicals because they destroy our vehicles. I hate car accidents and death even more so I am fine treating the roads during storms. A storm like today is the most dangerous where there is light accumulation/sleet and ice. You need salt for that. I’d rather drive in a foot of snow than a 1/4”. 
Is there really much environmental impact of salt other than killing the first couple feet of grass on our lawns? I fish a few lakes that are only feet from the road and there is no shortage of fish or weeds in those areas. 

3 mins ago, z-man said:

I hate road salt and pre treat chemicals because they destroy our vehicles. I hate car accidents and death even more so I am fine treating the roads during storms. A storm like today is the most dangerous where there is light accumulation/sleet and ice. You need salt for that. I’d rather drive in a foot of snow than a 1/4”. 
Is there really much environmental impact of salt other than killing the first couple feet of grass on our lawns? I fish a few lakes that are only feet from the road and there is no shortage of fish or weeds in those areas. 

My dashboard said 34 degrees. My radial tires werent slipping and i didnt use 4wd.

there wasnt any ice in the area discussed this morning. and road treatment didnt stop accidents on wet roads. 

Its new england, a little puritan frugality would make it better for everyone.

i havent heard anybody say theres more fish today than when they were a kid.

1 hour ago, Dave588 said:

My dashboard said 34 degrees. My radial tires werent slipping and i didnt use 4wd.

there wasnt any ice in the area discussed this morning. and road treatment didnt stop accidents on wet roads. 

There's more fish today than when I was a kid. Specifically, in the formally dead water bodies than have come back to life since green regulation was forced down our throats. 

I fish the Nashua river often. My kid also swims in it (I can't get used to that). When I was a kid no one fished the river anywhere and sure as **** nobody swam in it.

I fish the Merrimack often as well. Same story; when I was a kid you just plain didn't go near the river. Period. 

Boston Harbor? Same. Imagine fishing the reserve channel or around the Charles in the 60s? Pewwww!

9 mins ago, mikez2 said:

There's more fish today than when I was a kid. Specifically, in the formally dead water bodies than have come back to life since green regulation was forced down our throats. 

I fish the Nashua river often. My kid also swims in it (I can't get used to that). When I was a kid no one fished the river anywhere and sure as **** nobody swam in it.

I fish the Merrimack often as well. Same story; when I was a kid you just plain didn't go near the river. Period. 

Boston Harbor? Same. Imagine fishing the reserve channel or around the Charles in the 60s? Pewwww!

Back in the late 60's/early 70s, the Charles actually caught on fire.  Progress has been made!

What do you think is worse for the environment? A little salt a few months a year or the oils leaching from the asphalt roads, oil, grease and antifreeze leaking from cars, brake dust and rubber. We better get rid of all our roads  because they’re killing the environment and go back to dirt roads and horses. 

I got up early this morning, snowing here in Bourne. Slushy roads, temp hovering around freezing. Got some DD coffee, drove all around.  No problems. AWD never engaged. Just used some good old fashioned Yankee common sense and all was fine.

As for more fish? Maybe if you're talking about carp. :laugh:.  But native brookies, uh, uh. All those little streams and creeks that had native brookies when I was a kid have nothing. I'll qualify that. With the exception of the Swift in Belchertown. They seem to be thriving there. Of course, we're talking about perhaps the cleanest water in the state.  This speaks to why they thrive there.

A lot more fish in Boston Harbor, the Charles, the Sudbury, the Assabet, and many other bodies of water now than when I was a kid.

I have no trouble at all finding native brook trout.  No, it is not easy, walking is required, brush busting is required and a lot more skill is required than throwing a piece of powerbait into the pond.

21 mins ago, z-man said:

What do you think is worse for the environment? A little salt a few months a year or the oils leaching from the asphalt roads, oil, grease and antifreeze leaking from cars, brake dust and rubber. We better get rid of all our roads  because they’re killing the environment and go back to dirt roads and horses. 

Or common sense would tell you to lessen the antifreeze, oil and battery disposal with convenient alternatives?

2 mins ago, Dave588 said:

Or common sense would tell you to lessen the antifreeze, oil and battery disposal with convenient alternatives?

What are the "convenient alternatives" you refer too?

32 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

What are the "convenient alternatives" you refer too?

First is educating public. We force retailers and some dpw's at some expense to collect used fluids and batteries rather than chance their eventual disposal.

Tracking snowplows was refused by drivers but eventually, new vehicles will update public road hazard apps for actual road conditions.

Road conditions would be corrected by sweeping material off road, and hopefully better chemicals such as beet juice. We wouldnt be in situation where some people see an improvement if we dont try to improve process. 

What? I’m talking about leaks out of all the vehicles driving on our roads. Not disposal of used products. 

I’ve still yet to hear any true environmental impacts of this evil salt. The same evil salt that occurs naturally all over the planet. 

Posted (edited)

12 mins ago, z-man said:

I’ve still yet to hear any true environmental impacts of this evil salt. The same evil salt that occurs naturally all over the planet. 

No its not that simple. Adding sodium chloride to ocean combines with calcium carbonate which is needed by shellfish and leads to black shell disease.

Edited by Dave588