Dave588

Environment

Rate this topic

312 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

3 mins ago, Dave588 said:

Thats a cop out. 

That's exactly what it is.

I feel no shame. Have a good day (seriously, I don't mean that in a snarky way)

Edited by mikez2

Posted (edited)

4 mins ago, Dave588 said:

If theres accumulation, Push snow off road and slow down. 

Good advice, but you didn't answer the question:

Simple question:

What makes for safer road conditions after a snow/ice event?     

A:   Roads treated with salt

B.   Untreated roads.

Edited by Jeff270

2 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

You didn't answer the question:

Simple question:

What makes for safer road conditions after a snow/ice event?     

A:   Roads treated with salt

B.   Untreated roads.

In my honest opinion, untreated roads. Salt action mixed up by your tires usually doesnt make mix any better. There wasnt any ice on mass pike this morning. 

1 min ago, Dave588 said:

In my honest opinion, untreated roads. Salt action mixed up by your tires usually doesnt make mix any better. There wasnt any ice on mass pike this morning. 

IF that were true (BIG if),   why would virtually every municipality spend $$$$$$ to buy and spread salt every year?  Why not save those bucks for something else?

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

BTW, I'm still confused how California (the most polluted state) is causing "rolling roadblocks" on the mass pike?

Or Louisiana, depending on which list of most polluted states you look at.

1 min ago, zak-striper said:

MA is not perfect in this regard.  That said, they have done a pretty decent job cleaning up many of the rivers.  When I was a kid, you didn't even imagine swimming in the Charles or the some of the other rivers.  Compare that to today and there has been some remarkable progress.  

5 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

IF that were true (BIG if),   why would virtually every municipality spend $$$$$$ to buy and spread salt every year?  Why not save those bucks for something else?

1 hour ago, b-ware said:

The judicious use of road salt (and other chemicals that no one seems to know about) is OK in most winter conditions.  Today is not one of them  Applying de-icing materials on snow more than a quarter of an inch deep is ineffective and inefficient.  A 50/50 mixture of sand and salt would prove to be a better solution to todays storm, but, comes spring time road sand has to be swept up and disposed of, so hgeavy iue of road salt makes more sense for the DOT budget.

25 mins ago, rst3 said:

Commute Rpt.

/ Lexington: Ramp from 128NB to Rt2A closed for rollover crash at Exit 46

/ Andover: 3-car crash 93NB at Exit 38 Dascomb Rd

/ Lawrence: Crash. Left lane blocked 495SB at Exit 100

Its already been stated that certain conditions require certain actions. Not one action for every condition.

The salt this morning didnt help with any of these accidents or traction problems

3 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Yeah I grabbed the first list Google gave me.

I suspect California get the high rank for air pollution. 

I can easily believe many of the southern states are far worse in water pollution. 

Just now, Dave588 said:

Its already been stated that certain conditions require certain actions. Not one action for every condition.

The salt this morning didnt help with any of these accidents or traction problems

No it didn't help with the accidents cited.  But how many did it prevent?

And again I will ask:

If untreated roads are safer (your claim),   why would virtually every municipality spend $$$$$$ to buy and spread salt every year?  Why not save those bucks for something else?

Posted (edited)

13 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

MA is not perfect in this regard.  That said, they have done a pretty decent job cleaning up many of the rivers.  When I was a kid, you didn't even imagine swimming in the Charles or the some of the other rivers.  Compare that to today and there has been some remarkable progress.  

Oh yeah, MA has been cleaned up considerably during my life time. When I was a kid we wouldn't even consider swimming in the CT river. It's been cleaned up considerably thanks to the clean water act. Over the last 20 years I've swam a few times in the CT river, north of the Holyoke Dam, when I was hanging out with friends who had boats docked at marinas in South Hadley or Hadley. 

Also, when I was a little kid, there was a permanent haze hanging over the CT river valley from Spfld to Hartford. That's been gone for over 30 years now thanks to the clear air act. 

Boston harbor was one of the worse harbors in the country until they cleaned it up with that (no longer) new treatment facility at Deer Island and while running the outputs considerably farther out to sea. I still wouldn't swim in the Charles but I've kayaked it more than once since I moved to greater Boston.

Edited by zak-striper

4 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

And again I will ask:

If untreated roads are safer (your claim),   why would virtually every municipality spend $$$$$$ to buy and spread salt every year?  Why not save those bucks for something else?

thats what i am saying to do. Get a weather station and do a better job. Or put a weather station in every truck and focus on problem areas.

Posted (edited)

12 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

I've known plenty of people over the years, friends or co-workers, who totaled their cars thanks to black ice when snow/sleet melted, then froze overnight. I've seen plenty of cars spin out of control on icy, snowy highways as well during storms before the sand/salt trucks came out. Especially on the pike, in the stretch between Palmer and Shrewsbury, which has a higher elevation than Boston or the CT river valley, causing that section of the pike to ice up.

Edited by zak-striper

Re: Massachusetts Water Pollution 

Things were so bad when I was a kid, the following ditty was in regular rotation:

"Close your legs, I can smell Boston Harbor"

I doubt kids today would be able to use that one. 

25 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

And again I will ask:

18 mins ago, Dave588 said:

thats what i am saying to do. Get a weather station and do a better job. Or put a weather station in every truck and focus on problem areas.

You lost me, sorry.  I thought you were calling for the curtailment of using salt on roads.  

For clarity, what are you saying?

13 mins ago, rst3 said:

Re: Massachusetts Water Pollution 

Things were so bad when I was a kid, the following ditty was in regular rotation:

"Close your legs, I can smell Boston Harbor"

I doubt kids today would be able to use that one. 

♪ ♫ ♬

"'Cuz I love that dirty water, Boston you're my home" :)