Dave588

Environment

Rate this topic

312 posts in this topic

Well I've read enough. Railing against the government because the state salted the roads. Ok.

Of all the things one can criticize the state for – and there's a crapton – road salting wouldn't make my top 100. 

I skidded around and traction control activated on my commute. One car flipped exiting off 128. Salt was beyond justified this morning.  

1 min ago, rst3 said:

Well I've read enough. Railing against the government because the state salted the roads. Ok.

Of all the things one can criticize the state for – and there's a crapton – road salting wouldn't make my top 100. 

I skidded around and traction control activated on my commute. One car flipped exiting off 128. Salt was beyond justified this morning.  

Because no one slowed down and one accident.

16 mins ago, mikez2 said:

So your argument is not that the government spreads salt because they're corrupt, they just use ineffective and unsafe methods because they're too cheap to sweep the roads in spring?

That is correct for the most part, they still sweep the roads in the spring just not as much and the sweepings have to be dis[psed of in a landfill.  Out here in the western part of the state, Mass DOT has drilled many private water wells because of road salt polloution and will continue to do so.  Another aspect to having safe roads is that the majority of snow removal is done by private contractors using privately owned trucks and equipment speced out by the state DOT.  When you see a plow truck on a state road it is equipped with a computer controlled spreader, 11' power angle front plow, 10' wing plow and liquid tanks.  Depending on the GVW and spreader capacity these trucks are earning in excess of $200.00 per hour.

Just now, Dave588 said:

You cant say that your testing groundwater and road salt isnt a concern?

Yes it is a concern.

It is a very important concern and I know that it's been studied and is continually studied, both in regards to the environment and human health. 

The stuff we use now is better than the stuff we used to use. Presumably more improvements will be made in the future. 

Meanwhile the public safety factor is the driving force for treating roads. I'm strongly in favor of safe roads.

I never intended to debate different road treatments. I really only chimed in because I noticed from previous threads that road salt is a trigger for certain guys and that it seems it's not really a pro-environment stance, it's just an anti-government stance.

I don't mean to assume, I can only go by previous posts which suggest you're angry at the government. 

Ironically, in order to satisfy your desires to ban road salt, you'd need one of those dreaded green laws you dislike so much driven down our throats.

Maybe you should vote green in the future. 

Reading through this, I can't help but imagine the level of bitching we would be subject too if the state stopped sanding and salting the roads.

It would be epic.

Commute Rpt.

/ Lexington: Ramp from 128NB to Rt2A closed for rollover crash at Exit 46

/ Andover: 3-car crash 93NB at Exit 38 Dascomb Rd

/ Lawrence: Crash. Left lane blocked 495SB at Exit 100

1 min ago, mikez2 said:

Yes it is a concern.

It is a very important concern and I know that it's been studied and is continually studied, both in regards to the environment and human health. 

The stuff we use now is better than the stuff we used to use. Presumably more improvements will be made in the future. 

Meanwhile the public safety factor is the driving force for treating roads. I'm strongly in favor of safe roads.

I never intended to debate different road treatments. I really only chimed in because I noticed from previous threads that road salt is a trigger for certain guys and that it seems it's not really a pro-environment stance, it's just an anti-government stance.

I don't mean to assume, I can only go by previous posts which suggest you're angry at the government. 

Ironically, in order to satisfy your desires to ban road salt, you'd need one of those dreaded green laws you dislike so much driven down our throats.

Maybe you should vote green in the future. 

What a bunch of word salad. Why would anyone, on this forum, need to defend protecting a natural environment? Not everything is so critical for "safety", that one wouldnt consider that their traction control might engage less without salt?

1 min ago, Jeff270 said:

Reading through this, I can't help but imagine the level of bitching we would be subject too if the state stopped sanding and salting the roads.

It would be epic.

Or if the evil government tried to cram a state of the art wastewater treatment plant upgrade down our throats to address the nitrogen loads that are killing our rivers.

2 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

It would be epic.

I lived in upstate ny. The snowplow ran down road as fast as it could. Throwing snow far off road. And everybody got around just fine.

Just now, Dave588 said:

What a bunch of word salad. Why would anyone, on this forum, need to defend protecting a natural environment? Not everything is so critical for "safety", that one wouldnt consider that their traction control might engage less without salt?

Sorry for the word salad. It's a major fault that I can't say it with few words.

3 mins ago, rst3 said:

Commute Rpt.

/ Lexington: Ramp from 128NB to Rt2A closed for rollover crash at Exit 46

/ Andover: 3-car crash 93NB at Exit 38 Dascomb Rd

/ Lawrence: Crash. Left lane blocked 495SB at Exit 100

On top of salt-treated roads. Which effectively was a false sense of security.

Wet salt is slippery, too

Just now, Dave588 said:

On top of salt-treated roads. Which effectively was a false sense of security.

Wet salt is slippery, too

Simple question:

What makes for safer road conditions after a snow/ice event?     

A:   Roads treated with salt

B.   Untreated roads.

2 mins ago, Dave588 said:

I lived in upstate ny. The snowplow ran down road as fast as it could. Throwing snow far off road. And everybody got around just fine.

Ok, so your answer is the snow plows should just drive faster and throw the snow further and we'll all be just fine?

Got it.

Have a good rest of your day and I hope your evening commute goes easier. 

Just now, mikez2 said:

Ok, so your answer is the snow plows should just drive faster and throw the snow further and we'll all be just fine?

Got it.

Have a good rest of your day and I hope your evening commute goes easier. 

Thats a cop out. They covered more roads with a plow and no salt. A flashing light so you knew the plow was coming. They pushed snow off road. You drove careful because you knew it was winter

3 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

Simple question:

What makes for safer road conditions after a snow/ice event?     

A:   Roads treated with salt

B.   Untreated roads.

If theres accumulation, Push snow off road and slow down.