planter

Minimum rod and reel for heavy jigs in CC

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

My current set up is an 11' Shimano Tiralejo rod that has been re-configured from spinning to conventional by Bruce at Canal B&T.  He replaced and relocated the guides and redid the butt section with a new reel seat and trigger grip.  I use a Daiwa Saltist LW 30 HA reel loaded with 50# Suffix braid and a 40# fleuro leader.  3 to 5 oz. bucktails, eel skins, and Ca-Neels are my weapons of choice along with 4 and 5 oz. Zelly Jigs on occasion.  I have landed bass in excess of 40 lbs. (not inches, pounds) with this set up.

I also use it to throw 2.5 to 3.5 oz. plugs now and then ..........................

Well I think I’m getting older but not smarter. I went into the basement and found Penn, Star, Tsunamis all rated to handle up to four ounces.

I think I getting to the point where I don’t even know what rods and reels I have on the rack. I’ll take a couple of those rods to the B&T and match them to the reels I’m thinking about. The 5000BG and the 6000 Saragosa feel to small for the rod but it’s a big leap in size to find the right reel for the job.

Reels seem to be getting smaller with time. Is that because the reels have gotten stronger or is it because so many of us use braid? I’m pretty confident that the 5000BG with 40lb PP will put just about any fish I catch in the box. 
I gotta keep better track of my fishing junk right after I find a heavier set up for footballs and the like. It wouldn’t handle the seal I foul hooked last year. I would like to land one or at least go for a Nantucket sleigh ride in the yak. Maybe I shouldn’t try that!

On 1/24/2023 at 4:31 PM, planter said:

Well I think I’m getting older but not smarter. I went into the basement and found Penn, Star, Tsunamis all rated to handle up to four ounces.

I think I getting to the point where I don’t even know what rods and reels I have on the rack. I’ll take a couple of those rods to the B&T and match them to the reels I’m thinking about. The 5000BG and the 6000 Saragosa feel to small for the rod but it’s a big leap in size to find the right reel for the job.

Reels seem to be getting smaller with time. Is that because the reels have gotten stronger or is it because so many of us use braid? I’m pretty confident that the 5000BG with 40lb PP will put just about any fish I catch in the box. 
I gotta keep better track of my fishing junk right after I find a heavier set up for footballs and the like. It wouldn’t handle the seal I foul hooked last year. I would like to land one or at least go for a Nantucket sleigh ride in the yak. Maybe I shouldn’t try that!

generally speaking, the main purpose for a bigger reel for jigging the canal is the faster ( more inch per turn) retrieve speed. If that feature is not important for you and you are an experience angler that know how to use the rod to fight and power in the fish then the smaller reel would work. 

Generally speaking, I like to use a 14k size Shimano reel because it is rated for about 50” per turn. This is my choice when general jigging. 

when I am jigging close (less then 150’ cast) and when the fish are slot size or smaller, I would use my 8’ rod with a 5k reel. Or  9’ rod with a 6k reel. 

Bottom line is take what you have and go have some fun. 

8 hours ago, Running Ape said:

7’6” musky rod with daiwa 200 size conventional reel 6:1 gears? Light and easy, I use it for cod too with 14 ounce jigs. 

I know a couple of spots where that would be perfect. The productive zone is about 30-40 yards from the rocks. But you only need a 2-3 oz jig. I used to fish it with a 10' Arra 1205 and a 525 Mag. You can place the cast better with conventional.