planter

Minimum rod and reel for heavy jigs in CC

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

My newest reels are 4000/4500 BGs and Stradic 5000 and i have a 7000hsn and another Abu who's name escapes me at the moment. Those conventional reels work great with heavier jigs but this week I'm imore interested in a lower end spinning reel ($250) plus or minus and a stick in the range of $200.00 as well. A spinning reel for heavier jigs. I still want to be able to change line spools and put the  reel on another stick for boat work.  What would you put together in that price range for heavy jigs. Would you say a BG 5000 will fit that assignment. Frankly snagging pogies puts some stress on the R&R that I snag with but work fine on bass to 25~30 lbs and 40 inches. 

I have been asking a lot of questions because i have Mad Money that's burning a hole in my pocket and if you don't move fast, pennies from heaven or an unexpected sucks into the deep whirling pit called having a home. It $$ goes quickly right into scary big gas bills or a trip to the market only to come home with 2 bags of groceries and a receipt for $80. I'm reslly not suffering at all but i know people who are. 

Note. Any more than that $$

snd I have to do.myself..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, planter said:

My newest reels are 4000/4500 BGs and Stradic 5000 and i have a 7000hsn and another Abu who's name escapes me at the moment. Those conventional reels work great with heavier jigs but this week I'm imore interested in a lower end spinning reel ($250) plus or minus and a stick in the range of $200.00 as well. A spinning reel for heavier jigs. I still want to be able to change line spools and put the  reel on another stick for boat work.  What would you put together in that price range for heavy jigs. Would you say a BG 5000 will fit that assignment. Frankly snagging pogies puts some stress on the R&R that I snag with but work fine on bass to 25~30 lbs and 40 inches. 

I have been asking a lot of questions because i have Mad Money that's burning a hole in my pocket and if you don't move fast, pennies from heaven or an unexpected sucks into the deep whirling pit called having a home. It $$ goes quickly right into scary big gas bills or a trip to the market only to come home with 2 bags of groceries and a receipt for $80. I'm reslly not suffering at all but i know people who are. 

Note. Any more than that $$

snd I have to do.myself..

Are you looking for a spinning rod and reel for heavy jigs in the Canal?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saragosa 6000 is a fine reel for most at the canal. 
 

St Croix Mojo and TFO and entry level rods for jigging

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heavy jigs weighing heavy jigs weighing  or five or four or 5 ounces but i might want to throw big plugs as well. I really plan on getting an extra spool even at the exorbitant price so I can put something better suited for plugs on the reel.

I really plan on getting an extra spool even at the exorbitant price so I can put something better suited for plugs on the line. I've got a 9ft star spinning rod that will probably work just fine and i have a couple decent conventional 10ft rods for heavier Jigs and conventional reels and such for the canal. That alone is just a bit of my jigging problems. Im still stunned at the amount of lead donated to the ditch. I figure about 60lbs HAHa ouch. spinning reels are flexible enough to use different rods. Conventional reels not so much..

conventional reels not so much.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, planter said:

. A spinning reel for heavier jigs.

My jigging reel for the canal is a Shimano Saragosa 8K. It's about $260 -$280 depending on where you get it. It's a solid jigging reel. It casts far enough for the canal. It has a fantastic drag. It's also a workhouse that can handle a few seasons of throwing 3 oz - 6oz jigs. And you can easily use it on a boat rod for bigger fish.

Edited by zak-striper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ged said:


 

St Croix Mojo and TFO and entry level rods for jigging

They certainly are not. :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bob_G said:

They certainly are not. :laugh:

Yup, I wouldn't want to throw anything heavier than 4 on the Mojo that's rated 2-6.

But I rarely threw anything heavier than 4 oz, and I never threw 6 oz ever. Living close by, there were always other nights if the current was really ripping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bob_G said:

They certainly are not. :laugh:

I guess it depend on how you define “heavier”. I don’t carry a single jig that weighs over 4oz, and I catch more on 2oz than 4. 

TFO has a 2-6oz and 3-8oz.  
The Mojo had 2-6 and 3-8oz as well. 

 

I personally use a XRA 2-6oz I built. My choice is a little more $. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, ged said:

I guess it depend on how you define “heavier”. I don’t carry a single jig that weighs over 4oz, and I catch more on 2oz than 4. 

TFO has a 2-6oz and 3-8oz.  
The Mojo had 2-6 and 3-8oz as well. 

 

I personally use a XRA 2-6oz I built. My choice is a little more $. 

 

 

 

That tfo 3-8oz rod was a great rod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the answer is the heaviest St Croix Triumph (10'6") and the heaviest Saltist. This was (still is...) my setup and I think things have changed a lot but this is probably still the cheapest real jigging setup you can get. By real jigging I mean any weight sluggo + 9 inch shad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, gray gables said:

That tfo 3-8oz rod was a great rod. 

I always wanted one but they stopped making them by the time I finally decided to buy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gosa 6K should work, spend the extra $20 and get an 8K though. Can probably find one in BST for 250 or less. 

Rod- used tiralejo, TFO 3-8, Mojo, all work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I always wanted one but they stopped making them by the time I finally decided to buy

My current jigging rod is the ODM DNA 11' 3-8oz, in about the same price range as the 3-8oz TFO. The DNA is softer than the TFO so it's easier on your body when you're jigging the canal for hours. I really like the DNA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zak-striper said:

My current jigging rod is the ODM DNA 11' 3-8oz, in about the same price range as the 3-8oz TFO. The DNA is softer than the TFO so it's easier on your body when you're jigging the canal for hours. I really like the DNA.

Good to know, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.