Captaingoat

Surf plugs for rivers

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, t_man7 said:

With a large pike in a bone and an orange belly to resemble a salter brook trout, I always had success fishing in the rivers here on the east coast.  Pencils as well, with an orange and a white belly.

I like Orange on anything! Sound like a cool color combo.

With a large pike in a bone and an orange belly to resemble a salter brook trout, I always had success fishing in the rivers here on the east coast.  Pencils as well, with an orange and a white belly.

The Sacramento River is in my backyard and I have done well with many plugs. My Skaredykat, Slicer, Demon Darter, Slappin Pencil, and Slim Spook XL have done well.  It all depends what part of the Sacramento and if you are fishing from shore or boat and If you are drifting or able to hold in the current.

12 mins ago, norcalkat said:

The Sacramento River is in my backyard and I have done well with many plugs. My Skaredykat, Slicer, Demon Darter, Slappin Pencil, and Slim Spook XL have done well.  It all depends what part of the Sacramento and if you are fishing from shore or boat and If you are drifting or able to hold in the current.

Right on thanks for that info. I’ll keep a eye out for those models. Your plugs are kinda hard to come buy. But hopefully I can find one and try it out!

Posted (edited)

there is plenty of other plugs that might work, I have tried some and with the river currents its a lot different.  Can some surf plugs cross into freshwater with current, why certainly.  I moved out here 2 years ago and having the river 5 min from my house has helped me dial in the freshwater with current.  Changes definitely had to be made.  I like to pay attention to every little small detail and find the best tools for a given situation.  Stripers setup on the river system a lot different.   I fish with different techniques on the lower Sac ( Delta) than I would on the upper Sac.  You can simplify it but I like to be optimal as much as possible. 

Edited by norcalkat

12 mins ago, norcalkat said:

there is plenty of other plugs that might work, I have tried some and with the river currents its a lot different.  Can some surf plugs cross into freshwater with current, why certainly.  I moved out here 2 years ago and having the river 5 min from my house has helped me dial in the freshwater with current.  Changes definitely had to be made.  I like to pay attention to every little small detail and find the best tools for a given situation.  Stripers setup on the river system a lot different.   I fish with different techniques on the lower Sac ( Delta) than I would on the upper Sac.  You can simplify it but I like to be optimal as much as possible. 

Being optimal on the Sac is definitely key. Always good to have multiple presentations. Glad to hear that these surf plugs can be effective at times on rivers .  Thanks for all the feedback on this topic from the community on here!!

9 hours ago, Captaingoat said:

Being optimal on the Sac is definitely key. Always good to have multiple presentations. Glad to hear that these surf plugs can be effective at times on rivers .  Thanks for all the feedback on this topic from the community on here!!

Ask someone who has fished the Cape Cod Canal if "Surf plugs" can be effective in rivers...... lol

On 1/18/2023 at 11:36 PM, moocks said:

Ask someone who has fished the Cape Cod Canal if "Surf plugs" can be effective in rivers...... lol

You Dont Say Frowning GIF - You Dont Say Frowning Coffee GIFs

On 1/22/2023 at 11:13 PM, moocks said:

Where you been stranger ?

Making babies! #2 coming in May! how you been old man?

10 mins ago, justintrask said:

Making babies! #2 coming in May! how you been old man?

Congratulations that will keep you out of trouble....