Captaingoat

Surf plugs for rivers

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Hello there!

Whats your guys opinion on the best style surf plugs for rivers? Say like the Sacramento. I assume topwater like pencil or poppers are best. Anyone trying this?

Shad and pike minnow I believe. I’m shure theirs better bait Presentations like a glide bait or Swimbaits but was seeing if anyone is trying this with like a Danny , darters etc..

So of it depends on what you like to fish.  I haven't gone in a few years, but I like fishing bucktails tied sparse so I could drift them deep.  Spooning straight up and down, from a boat, with Hopkins 3/4 and 1oz Shortys was good.  3/4oz Rattle Traps and rip baits if you could find smaller fish schooled up.  My favorite was probably Culprit soft plastic swim baits in mahi. They are similar to sassy shads, but better.  Spooks were good.  

Recently the wooden/hard plastic jointed swimbaits have taken over as big fish lures.  There are also some BIG spooks that have been getting large.  

If you like fly fishing, that works well too and sometimes you can really spank the guys fishing lures.  I used to fish with 2 other guys and once in awhile the conditions were good and I would catch 3 or 4 to 1 of theirs.  It was the presentation and size of the fly that mattered at that point.

Like you mention, Pikie Minnow colors work well as do white, chart and mahi.  We used to catch 3 lb pikie minnows while fishing for stripers once in awhile. 

59 mins ago, put_em_back said:

So of it depends on what you like to fish.  I haven't gone in a few years, but I like fishing bucktails tied sparse so I could drift them deep.  Spooning straight up and down, from a boat, with Hopkins 3/4 and 1oz Shortys was good.  3/4oz Rattle Traps and rip baits if you could find smaller fish schooled up.  My favorite was probably Culprit soft plastic swim baits in mahi. They are similar to sassy shads, but better.  Spooks were good.  

Recently the wooden/hard plastic jointed swimbaits have taken over as big fish lures.  There are also some BIG spooks that have been getting large.  

If you like fly fishing, that works well too and sometimes you can really spank the guys fishing lures.  I used to fish with 2 other guys and once in awhile the conditions were good and I would catch 3 or 4 to 1 of theirs.  It was the presentation and size of the fly that mattered at that point.

Like you mention, Pikie Minnow colors work well as do white, chart and mahi.  We used to catch 3 lb pikie minnows while fishing for stripers once in awhile. 

Right on thanks for that info and reply. I’ll deftly give those a try. I still would like to try some of the bigger surface swimming plugs during low light and night. I guess I’ll give em a try and report back.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Captaingoat said:

Right on thanks for that info and reply. I’ll deftly give those a try. I still would like to try some of the bigger surface swimming plugs during low light and night. I guess I’ll give em a try and report back.

Nothing like the top water bite. Grab a pikie, a spook and pencil and have at it. You might want to try a glider like LS-69 Chuck makes. What river are you going to be fishing.

Edited by moocks

I use Gary2, 6" slim metal lip plugs in the rivers here in NJ.  Super productive lure. Out by you NorCalKat makes some fine striped bass plugs. First picture is NorCalKat.  Second is a Gary2 slim replica, in my own color scheme.  Only difference now is I have the builder make them with a single treble hook for me now.  Super productive plug for me.

NorCalKat.jpg

Gary2_slim_n.jpg

4 hours ago, 27conch said:

I use Gary2, 6" slim metal lip plugs in the rivers here in NJ.  Super productive lure. Out by you NorCalKat makes some fine striped bass plugs. First picture is NorCalKat.  Second is a Gary2 slim replica, in my own color scheme.  Only difference now is I have the builder make them with a single treble hook for me now.  Super productive plug for me.

NorCalKat.jpg

Gary2_slim_n.jpg

Those are some tasty looking plugs! I’ll keep a eye out for some . Looks like they would work perfect! Thanks

The bottom ones I fish and they are the s***.  Fit and finish is really good.  They swim great and have a really good price point.  If you want the builders contact info, send me a PM.

You also can't go wrong with a NorCalKat,but the wait time is like a year.  I am on the list..:(

8 mins ago, 27conch said:

The bottom ones I fish and they are the s***.  Fit and finish is really good.  They swim great and have a really good price point.  If you want the builders contact info, send me a PM.

You also can't go wrong with a NorCalKat,but the wait time is like a year.  I am on the list..:(

Wow thanks for that. Will be sending you a pm shorty. 

1 hour ago, 27conch said:

You should buy some from Fixter or Winch. Much better plugs and they don't have supply chain problems that take a year to overcome... 

With a large pike in a bone and an orange belly to resemble a salter brook trout, I always had success fishing in the rivers here on the east coast.  Pencils as well, with an orange and a white belly.

NorCalKat, doesn't have supply chain issues, more like supply trying to meet up with demand.

Only so many hours in a day.:)