mikeadams

VS X2 Upgrade Kit/Parts Coming - True or ?

Rate this topic

130 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ged said:

Which should be a very good thing for people that want to buy parts directly. 

Well, I did not know that. Thanks for the info Ged. 

From SWE:

I am writing to make you aware of an upcoming action involving the Van Staal X2 Spin Reel you purchased from us. 

Van Staal has a well-earned reputation for durability and reliability developed over the past thirty years. The VSX2 model you purchased can, under very specific circumstances, create a situation where the line comes in contact with the reel. You might not have fished yours yet, or you might have fished it but not noticed, but we wanted you to be aware. The conditions required are a heavy load (fish on), a full spool (fish close to your feet), and the spool at the bottom of its oscillation. At that point, the line may contact part of the rotor assembly and could potentially fray or separate. During the two-year testing process for this reel, none of the reels experienced line fraying or separation. Testing was conducted by experienced and serious surf and inshore anglers. 

While Van Staal has yet to publish a written statement they are taking corrective action, it has been clearly verbalized to Saltwater Edge that 

"Anyone concerned about the line being able to contact the rotor will have those replaced at no charge thru service and warranty centers"

Saltwater Edge wanted to communicate with you, recognizing that you may not have "heard" this announcement. Please contact us at 401 842-0062 if you need clarification or have any questions. 

Saltwater Edge is an Authorized Van Staal Warranty Repair Center, so we can handle your replacement if you desire. The replacement process is expected to start in late March. We will reach out again at that time.

Thanks again for your continued support,

Thanks to everyone providing updates. A question I have though: it sounds like VS will take care of providing the necessary update for people who have already bought the VSX2. However, presumably they are also going to start producing VSX2s with the problem fixed out of the box? Does anyone know when this is set to happen?

6 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Van staal should have put out a thing like that months ago . Tis tis 

Apparently SWE had to do it for them. 

Just another reason they are my favorite shop. 

4 hours ago, chocodove said:

Apparently SWE had to do it for them. 

Just another reason they are my favorite shop. 

I got that email too and thought the same. I'm surrounded by "popular" shops but SWE always seems to actually care about the sport/customer. 

15 hours ago, chocodove said:

From SWE:

I am writing to make you aware of an upcoming action involving the Van Staal X2 Spin Reel you purchased from us. 

Van Staal has a well-earned reputation for durability and reliability developed over the past thirty years. The VSX2 model you purchased can, under very specific circumstances, create a situation where the line comes in contact with the reel. You might not have fished yours yet, or you might have fished it but not noticed, but we wanted you to be aware. The conditions required are a heavy load (fish on), a full spool (fish close to your feet), and the spool at the bottom of its oscillation. At that point, the line may contact part of the rotor assembly and could potentially fray or separate. During the two-year testing process for this reel, none of the reels experienced line fraying or separation. Testing was conducted by experienced and serious surf and inshore anglers. 

While Van Staal has yet to publish a written statement they are taking corrective action, it has been clearly verbalized to Saltwater Edge that 

"Anyone concerned about the line being able to contact the rotor will have those replaced at no charge thru service and warranty centers"

Saltwater Edge wanted to communicate with you, recognizing that you may not have "heard" this announcement. Please contact us at 401 842-0062 if you need clarification or have any questions. 

Saltwater Edge is an Authorized Van Staal Warranty Repair Center, so we can handle your replacement if you desire. The replacement process is expected to start in late March. We will reach out again at that time.

Thanks again for your continued support,

@chocodove thanks a million for posting this note from Saltwater Edge. They are sure correct that people have not “heard” this announcement. As far as I know, Van Staal has not put anything official out yet.

I am also wondering what they are going to do about all those defective reels that are out there and haven’t been sold yet. Are they going to keep selling them? And when they start producing reels with the corrected parts how are they going to identify them?

Lots of questions and still waiting for official communications from Van Staal…

19 hours ago, surfrat59 said:

Parts should be available starting late March....of 2024 probably !

Production of new parts has been “van-stalled”