mikeadams

VS X2 Upgrade Kit/Parts Coming - True or ?

Rate this topic

130 posts in this topic

Lots of members here are also on Bill's site, was there any announcement or is it tight lipped for now...

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, surfrat59 said:

Lots of members here are also on Bill's site, was there any announcement or is it tight lipped for now...

Na, he did like a live Q&A on Instagram and at the end someone asked how he felt about the VSX2 and said something about eventually going to your service center. He also said the same thing about VSCraig making an announcement on his site again soon. One thing I didn't like in the clip he went on to talk about the days of the original VS and all  its problems....I'd say developing a brand new reel from a small start up company years ago is NOT good justification to be ok with a faulty 900$ product from a now 30 year old company with financial backing from pure fishing and supposedly tested by pros (including him). 

Edited by jk20a3

On 1/11/2023 at 7:24 AM, Bow3022 said:

Anyone here on the Surf Rats Ball forum? Keep an eye out for the info craigs gonna release? 

There has been no update in the surf rat ball as of this morning.  I’ve also heard it will be months (March/April) before new rotors are in.  There’s a big show on LI in which VS has a large presence. I’m sure they will wait until afterwards to say anything.  Disappointed in Craig for not even mentioning “hey guys we’re on it kind of thing” but I’m sure his hands are tied through pure fishing. Instead he has the VS pros try and make it not a big deal (Bill and Pete).  At the end of the day I don’t see this as an issue.  These reels have been through hell and back through testing…. Just funny how this has blown up because of no communication from VS.  

It will be interesting to see what the upgraded rotor will look like.  

- Will it be made a bit beefier to stop the flex issue?

- How much weight will a beefier rotor add?

- Will the anodizing color match?  (This will be important mostly for the 500 Gold Limited owners).

I'm sure VS will be asked some questions at the upcoming show, hopefully they have an answer other then

No big deal, we are working on it!

Depending on how they design it, the weight could be minimal. They could make the part of the rotor thicker, or possibly brace it or something. 

But on the other hand, will the rotor redesign help with the rigidity of the rotor or worsen it? Depending on the geometry of the line roller this could go either way.

I never saw the flexing as some crazy issue. If you are purposely looking to flex it sure, it will flex. But when pulling like out I don’t see that as an issue. There might be some but it’s minimal from what I see. 

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Bow3022 said:

Depending on how they design it, the weight could be minimal. They could make the part of the rotor thicker, or possibly brace it or something. 

But on the other hand, will the rotor redesign help with the rigidity of the rotor or worsen it? Depending on the geometry of the line roller this could go either way.

I never saw the flexing as some crazy issue. If you are purposely looking to flex it sure, it will flex. But when pulling like out I don’t see that as an issue. There might be some but it’s minimal from what I see. 

The rotor should never contact the spool when used at advertised drag. If they don’t contact, I am not sure if the aluminum will ever fatigue and fail. 

The position of the line roller will likely be changed and could change the balance of the rotor, which will also require modifications. 

808C75E0-D5E9-4130-A169-2CD68F7F7C59.jpeg

1F571D75-D8D6-4845-B3D0-2C72215979D8.jpeg

Edited by ged

39 mins ago, recoil said:

It will be interesting to see what the upgraded rotor will look like.  

- Will it be made a bit beefier to stop the flex issue?

- How much weight will a beefier rotor add?

- Will the anodizing color match?  (This will be important mostly for the 500 Gold Limited owners).

I'm sure VS will be asked some questions at the upcoming show, hopefully they have an answer other then

No big deal, we are working on it!

Just copy Zeebaas rotor completely lol….

12 mins ago, StriperMurph said:

Just copy Zeebaas rotor completely lol….

They would have been better off. 

The line roller on the VSX2 is left of the center of the fastener on the rotor. The ZB is right of the fastener on the rotor. (VR & Meir Visser Pier Master are as well)

I still don’t understand how this wasn’t discovered in field testing. 

On 1/11/2023 at 8:48 PM, chocodove said:

It’s going to be great when I have to send in my 3 vsx2’s in April when whatever parts are finally available and then get them back in December. :o

Who buys three new ones off the assembly line for a brand new product... oh wait.. you! :-)

2 hours ago, StriperMurph said:

There has been no update in the surf rat ball as of this morning.  I’ve also heard it will be months (March/April) before new rotors are in.  There’s a big show on LI in which VS has a large presence. I’m sure they will wait until afterwards to say anything.  Disappointed in Craig for not even mentioning “hey guys we’re on it kind of thing” but I’m sure his hands are tied through pure fishing. Instead he has the VS pros try and make it not a big deal (Bill and Pete).  At the end of the day I don’t see this as an issue.  These reels have been through hell and back through testing…. Just funny how this has blown up because of no communication from VS.  

Your last sentence couldn't be more true. The poor communication is a bit concerning.  

16 mins ago, Goldy said:

Who buys three new ones off the assembly line for a brand new product... oh wait.. you! :-)

It's true, what can I say. 

3 hours ago, StriperMurph said:

Thanks a million for updating everyone dude :howdy: and totally agree that a lack of communication has just made the situation worse. 

10 hours ago, ged said:

The rotor should never contact the spool when used at advertised drag. If they don’t contact, I am not sure if the aluminum will ever fatigue and fail. 

The position of the line roller will likely be changed and could change the balance of the rotor, which will also require modifications. 

808C75E0-D5E9-4130-A169-2CD68F7F7C59.jpeg

1F571D75-D8D6-4845-B3D0-2C72215979D8.jpeg

Pictures added

Posted (edited)

Some guy on one of the VS FB groups posted this am that he talked to Craig and claimed that there will be an announcement at the striper day show this weekend. Obviously take that with a grain of salt but VS will be there and I can 100% see people constantly bringing up the rub issue all day if they don’t say something. 

Edited by jk20a3