2023 Gardening

Rate this topic

17 mins ago, rst3 said:

I've had problems in the past when germinating cucumbers in cool wet soil. Weather the past couple weeks has been a little cool but also mostly cloudy. Need that sun on the dirt to help warm soil temps to 70+ for good germination

Bob, do you plan on replanting? It's still early enough with cukes, and I'm about to do another batch myself this weekend, as I like to stagger a couple plantings to keep the output going longer. Plus I can only eat so many cucumbers..... and when I do them all at once I end up with way too many coming off the vines at the same time. 

rst3,

I did replant, 4 days ago.  I have these huge containers, 30x30x30".  Soil is good, with the top 4" being a mix of bagged dried cow manure and Fix Farm Happy Frog. 

Then I place 1x1" lobster mesh over the top to keep out chipmunks and birds.   Hopefully this planting will work.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Planted the seeds three weeks ago, the baby tomatoes and pepper plants two weeks ago, came back from a two week vacation to find this..........

DRIP digital watering system and 4 truckloads of 2 year aged horse $hit works wonders !

May be an image of collard greens and cold frame

No photo description available.

Edited by Sudsy

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

Just finished pruning out all the suckers, leaves touching the ground, and attack cucumber vines.

Two weeks after planting I cut off more in bulk than all the plants when I bought them.

This is nuts ! 

first trimmings.jpg

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

39 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Just finished pruning out all the suckers, leaves touching the ground, and attack cucumber vines.

Two weeks after planting I cut off more in bulk than all the plants when I bought them.

This is nuts ! 

first trimmings.jpg

You ain't from round here are ya?

What state are you in?

The Sultan of Sluggo

NJ

Wait... what the hell forum am I in ?

LOL, I saw the thread on the sidebar - thought I was in Cooking Your Catch or the Tavern

How has no one here brought up earwigs yet? They’re BRUTAL this year, both in the garden and in my house. We’re at the point that we’re checking our coffee mugs for earwigs before pouring a cup. They’re chowing down on my lettuce and spinach, and I think they ate a fair number of my cucumber seedlings.

General recap so far -

1) My Romaine lettuce did great. Has lots of holes from earwigs, but otherwise good.

2) radishes did great, but I let them go too long (just didn’t have the time to harvest) and they bolted and got very woody. 

3) beets were a tremendous failure. Seedlings got picked off very early by birds, and what did survive just never grew. I’ve yet to really figure beets out. They tend to sprout, and then just never grow. They don’t die, just don’t grow- really bizarre to me.

4) Had terrible germination rates on pepper seedlings. Still managed to get about 10 sufficient plants. Some banana peppers, one bell, some jalapeño and some jig saw hot peppers. We’ll see how they do.

5) cucumbers and rampicante squash seem to be doing well this year. Last year I lost the entire crop to squash bugs. They were relentless. I planted them all in large containers this year, instead of in the raised beds, so I’m hoping the different environment helps them out.

6) tomatoes seem to be thriving, even though I got a very late start this year. I’m committed to them and hope to have a good year. Started with cal mag and weekly feedings early on, as well as sucker pruning as often as I’m out there. They’ve only been in the ground for about 2 weeks, but seem to be lush and green. Have 20 plants in the ground, and had plenty more to give to family. Barry’s Crazy from Baker creek was a great cherry for us last year, so I went heavy with that and mixed in some other slicers, beefsteaks, and a few romas for sauce.

7) my calendula is growing like weeds. Absolutely crushing it, which is nice, because my fiancée really enjoys making salves and balms from the flowers. 

8) I also got terrible germination rates from my ground cherries, which were a hit last year. I managed one seedling to get in the raised bed. However, to my surprise, they self seeded quite well from last year and I ended up with more plants than I needed. They sprouted later that I really wanted, but it seems like they’re going to do well.

9) if anyone wants an annual flower and acts like a perennial, try borage. They self seeded like crazy. I would have had a borage forest if I didn’t start pulling them like weeds. It was also very interesting to see how much bigger the self seeded plants got than the indoor starts. I think I really saw the true plant from the self seeded plants.

10) I was very late with peas and summer squashes, but have a ton going now. Hoping they still do well. 

11) a new addition to the garden this year for me was potatoes. Bought some seedling potatoes at Lowe’s on clearance at the very beginning of June and put them in very large pots. Plan to add soil as the season progresses, but they have really taken off quickly. I think my containers will be full very fast. Amazing how easy they were. 100% of them sprouted and grew quickly.

Edited by JTR

21 mins ago, PaulS said:

1st cabbage of the year. I usually only plant 6 as my wife doesn't eat too much. My beets are horrible and my lettuce and spinach didn't do that well other than the arugula.

20230624_120414.jpg

That’s a great looking cabbage. I’ve got to do that one of these years. I make a lot of homemade slaw for bbq cooks, so I could certainly put it to good use.

10 hours ago, JTR said:

How has no one here brought up earwigs yet? They’re BRUTAL this year, both in the garden and in my house. We’re at the point that we’re checking our coffee mugs for earwigs before pouring a cup. They’re chowing down on my lettuce and spinach, and I think they ate a fair number of my cucumber seedlings.

I literally have millions in my yard. Everything you lift up has hundreds under it and eggs everywhere.