2023 Gardening

Rate this topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a robin nesting right in the middle of my tomatoes.:banghd:.   I have a large shrub growing in the middle of my tomato garden, it's been there for 30 years, so I trim it and learn to live with it.

Well Mr and Mrs Robin built a nest,  a few feet  and eye level from some of my best tomatoes.  So far, she tolerates me, sitting on her nest while I was a mere few feet away pruning my plants.    I hope she doesn't become an issue.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Robins are usually pretty tolerant.  We had a nesting pair year after year on a porch shelf about 2 feet from the front door, never seemed to be too bothered by the comings and goings.  2 years ago a red tailed hawk swooped in halfway through nesting season and massacred one parent and all the young.  Haven't had a nest there since.  

- Kev

44 mins ago, WorcBoy said:

is it too late to throw a couple pumpkin plants in? I'm toying with putting a few on the edge of the yard and letting them creep in the woods. 

thx

Are you gardening in your new bike shorts?:gay:

The Sultan of Sluggo

Second year in a row all my cucumbers fail to germinate?  Soil is a mix of Black Kow manure and Happy Frog soil.  Watered, and covered with a screen. After 2 weeks all I found was rotten or dried up seeds.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Started treatment/spraying for blight on tomatoes. Conditions have been favorable for blight to get going earlier than normal this year and just had the 1st spots show on my Brandywine, which is a great tomato but sensitive to disease. 

Spent some time buttoning up a few loose and vulnerable areas of the chickenwire fence. A whistlepig or rabbit squeezed in somewhere then went to town on the corn.

Garderning is a war.

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

22 hours ago, bob_G said:

Second year in a row all my cucumbers fail to germinate?  Soil is a mix of Black Kow manure and Happy Frog soil.  Watered, and covered with a screen. After 2 weeks all I found was rotten or dried up seeds.

19 mins ago, Bucko said:

Cucumbers didn't germinate in the garden for me this year also. Have some in a pot and plan on getting them in the garden in a bit.

I've had problems in the past when germinating cucumbers in cool wet soil. Weather the past couple weeks has been a little cool but also mostly cloudy. Need that sun on the dirt to help warm soil temps to 70+ for good germination

Bob, do you plan on replanting? It's still early enough with cukes, and I'm about to do another batch myself this weekend, as I like to stagger a couple plantings to keep the output going longer. Plus I can only eat so many cucumbers..... and when I do them all at once I end up with way too many coming off the vines at the same time. 

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea