2023 Gardening

Rate this topic

Some spots dropped below freezing last night without frost formation, because the air was so dry and dewpoints were in the teens and low 20s. 

Here's a map of temps that had dipped below 36, an hour before sunrise.

20230518_151228.jpg.2921f720852c34734a87d1616f8e1ddb.jpg

With this year's New England peach crop totally destroyed by the 2 day super deep freeze we had in February, farmers were really under the gun last night to preserve their flowering strawberries and blueberries. I know of one farm that kept the water spraying on the strawberries for 9 hours last night. Initial indications are that the crop there might have been saved.

The temps last night were near all time record cold for the date. Really stinks how a single sharp blast of anomalous cold can ruin an entire growing season.

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

On 5/18/2023 at 4:16 PM, Steel Pulse said:

Had 31 in Lakeville. Only a few things out. I wait till first week in June to plant most of my stuff. Soil is too cold before then to really promote any growing most years. Not worth the gamble IMO. 

Thats what we do as well.  Prior to Memorial Day, it seems like anything that out there just sits and does nothing.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

• 2 weeks later...

Several of my tomatoes have blight! Right now it seems to be confined to the Celebrities, which is odd because these are a super disease resistant strain. I had no blight last year.  Break out the copper fungicide.

The Sultan of Sluggo

16 hours ago, bob_G said:

Several of my tomatoes have blight! Right now it seems to be confined to the Celebrities, which is odd because these are a super disease resistant strain. I had no blight last year.  Break out the copper fungicide.

what, exactly, is blight and how does it affect the plants?

14 hours ago, unskunk said:

what, exactly, is blight and how does it affect the plants?

Early blight is a fungus and very common in tomatoes. It usually affects the lowest and oldest leaves first, then works up the plant. Leaves develop necrotic patches then yellow and die.

a_solani.jpg.be7d42b73a9a6a70adf2986bf0abbe67.jpg

early_blight_plantsx1200.jpg.100f2e29e0d3dfd38c32109456cab861.jpg

Damage usually shows in late July-ish, but the infection itself starts weeks earlier.

Apparently.. the actual start date of blight season is closely linked to accumulated hours the plant is exposed to wetness. From dew, rain, or humidity values >90%. In a wet or humid year, blight gets going faster and can be nasty come August.

Cornell has a "Tomcast" calculator that you plug in your location, and it spits out a value that equates to estimated total wet time. This value can be used to determine when to start fungicides for blight, if you're not one to use them from the start. I usually start spraying around July 1st or so.

Edited by rst3

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

3 hours ago, rst3 said:

Early blight is a fungus and very common in tomatoes. It usually affects the lowest and oldest leaves first, then works up the plant. Leaves develop necrotic patches then yellow and die.

a_solani.jpg.be7d42b73a9a6a70adf2986bf0abbe67.jpg

early_blight_plantsx1200.jpg.100f2e29e0d3dfd38c32109456cab861.jpg

Damage usually shows in late July-ish, but the infection itself starts weeks earlier.

Apparently.. the actual start date of blight season is closely linked to accumulated hours the plant is exposed to wetness. From dew, rain, or humidity values >90%. In a wet or humid year, blight gets going faster and can be nasty come August.

Cornell has a "Tomcast" calculator that you plug in your location, and it spits out a value that equates to estimated total wet time. This value can be used to determine when to start fungicides for blight, if you're not one to use them from the start. I usually start spraying around July 1st or so.

thank you.........

I have a feeling it’s going to be a real dry summah again so I went and picked up a couple bales of straw and mulched the whole garden pretty much. You can turn it into the soil  at seasons end.   Still have not put in my watermelons and cantaloupes yet which will go under the plastic which is heating up the soil. Got to get my netting on the blueberries pronto as the catbirds and  robins are already scoping it out as I may have my best season in 25 years  for blueberries as they are loaded. I’m also pretty excited as I have a pair of bluebirds in that box too. Only third time in many years. 

IMG_1761.jpeg

Edited by Steel Pulse

what's the secret word for tonight

In NJ we need some precip, and lots of it.

Finally, have a spring instead of winter right into summer, excpet for the gardening and lawn side of life, its as good as it gets weather wise. Every night in the 50's and every day in the 70's, sweaqtshirts and shorts in the AM, short sleeves and shorts thereafter Nirvana!

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

5 hours ago, Steel Pulse said:

I have a feeling it’s going to be a real dry summah again so I went and picked up a couple bales of straw and mulched the whole garden pretty much. You can turn it into the soil  at seasons end.   Still have not put in my watermelons and cantaloupes yet which will go under the plastic which is heating up the soil. Got to get my netting on the blueberries pronto as the catbirds and  robins are already scoping it out as I may have my best season in 25 years  for blueberries as they are loaded. I’m also pretty excited as I have a pair of bluebirds in that box too. Only third time in many years. 

IMG_1761.jpeg

Bluebirds are awesome birds to have 

troll #122  <*)))<