2023 Gardening

Rate this topic

First failure of the season.

Lost all our tomatoes.  Started from seed as we always do.  Dommed seedling tray, on a heating pad, no external light source. Everything was fine on Wed, didn't check for 48 hours due to time constraints. Checked this AM, they all bolted, got super leggy, and not worth saving.    Will replant tonight.:banghd:

The Sultan of Sluggo

I also do fair amount of container gardening with flowers,herbs and some veggies. I thought the potting soil was expensive last year. I went to Lowe’s and Home Depot and a big bag of miracle grow is $18. I think I usually use about 6 or so bags a year. I’m definitely going to cut back this year  

Last year the deer were unstoppable despite continued spraying with a few different deer repellant sprays and buying some ultrasonic sound devices. They even walked on my deck and ate all my flowers. This stuff is also expensive. There’s already been a lot of deer in the yard morning evening and night. 
at least I have a small garden that is fenced in where I grow my veggies. 

On 4/16/2023 at 8:06 AM, JimKu said:

I also do fair amount of container gardening with flowers,herbs and some veggies. I thought the potting soil was expensive last year. I went to Lowe’s and Home Depot and a big bag of miracle grow is $18. I think I usually use about 6 or so bags a year. I’m definitely going to cut back this year  

Last year the deer were unstoppable despite continued spraying with a few different deer repellant sprays and buying some ultrasonic sound devices. They even walked on my deck and ate all my flowers. This stuff is also expensive. There’s already been a lot of deer in the yard morning evening and night. 
at least I have a small garden that is fenced in where I grow my veggies. 

Home made potting mix will save you a ton of money, especially if you’re using a ton of it. 

3 parts compost

3 parts peat moss

1.5 parts perlite

1 part water

I use a five gallon bucket to measure and mix in a 7 cubic foot gorilla cart. Rehydrate the peat moss with the water, then mix in the perlite, then mix in the compost. What you end up with perfectly fills a 32 gallon brute trash can. 

I buy the compost by the yard, but you might get lucky and be able to get it for free at your local dump. Home Depot sells the big 2 cubic foot bags of perlite for about $18. Peat moss has doubled in price since Covid, but a 3 cubic foot bag of it is $23. 

So with today’s prices, if you get the compost for free, you’re looking at roughly $41 for 64 gallons of potting mix, which is the equivalent of 4 big 64 quart bags of potting mix. Add in a few bucks extra if you have to pay for the compost (I pay $32 for a yard, which is a ton if you’re just making potting mix). The other benefit to this mix is that it allows you the ability to fertilize with organic, or your choice of fertilizer. 

The prices are insane, but this definitely saves money. A year or so ago, it would have cost about $30 for the same amount, but the peat moss prices killed that.

8 hours ago, JTR said:

Home made potting mix will save you a ton of money, especially if you’re using a ton of it. 

3 parts compost

3 parts peat moss

1.5 parts perlite

1 part water

I use a five gallon bucket to measure and mix in a 7 cubic foot gorilla cart. Rehydrate the peat moss with the water, then mix in the perlite, then mix in the compost. What you end up with perfectly fills a 32 gallon brute trash can. 

I buy the compost by the yard, but you might get lucky and be able to get it for free at your local dump. Home Depot sells the big 2 cubic foot bags of perlite for about $18. Peat moss has doubled in price since Covid, but a 3 cubic foot bag of it is $23. 

So with today’s prices, if you get the compost for free, you’re looking at roughly $41 for 64 gallons of potting mix, which is the equivalent of 4 big 64 quart bags of potting mix. Add in a few bucks extra if you have to pay for the compost (I pay $32 for a yard, which is a ton if you’re just making potting mix). The other benefit to this mix is that it allows you the ability to fertilize with organic, or your choice of fertilizer. 

The prices are insane, but this definitely saves money. A year or so ago, it would have cost about $30 for the same amount, but the peat moss prices killed that.

I do the same, we have our own compost bins and I can get bags of composted cow manure from a local dairy farm for pretty cheap I need to add extra.   

On 4/18/2023 at 0:45 AM, JTR said:

3 parts compost

3 parts peat moss

1.5 parts perlite

1 part water

Thanks for the tip. 

6 mins ago, TLap21 said:

Looks good, Bob! 

I started some in Solo cups this year to see if there’s any difference. They seem to be doing ok to me. This is a San Marzano. 

cbc57629-3daa-48a7-afb2-e5a5f6b0e1af.jpeg

I saw that done In

a video but my solo cups were not fluted like that.,

Results looked great 

troll #122  <*)))<

10 hours ago, TLap21 said:

Was it on YouTube? If so, it’s probably the same video that convinced me to give it a try. He made it sound good! Especially like the supposed stronger root system. 

We shall see. 

Yes it was,I was all set to do it.

He showed the difference between starting seeds in flats .

His key is the double solo cups.

troll #122  <*)))<

On 2/24/2023 at 6:09 PM, Maine Guide said:

Question for you all. Did a search. It did not come up. 

I’m building a fourth raised bed. 

The other three were from rough cut hemlock. 2 X 10”. 20” high. 

Don’t have that supplier anymore. 

Is modern day pressure treated lumber safe for raised bed gardens?

I know the old stuff had CCA. Much of what I read on line says the modern stuff is OK. 

Next year I'm going to be making raised beds using cedar and yellow pine with recycled  galvanized liners. You're in the cedar capital of the world, why not use cedar? I'm sure there are plenty of small sawmills there that you could order what you need for next a decent price.

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."
Jacques Cousteau

A lot of cannabis growers use the two cups method. One clear solo cup placed inside a red solo cup.

The theory being, delicate roots are impacted by bright artificial lights.  Therefore you place the soil and seed in a clear solo cup, then place the clear cup inside a corresponding size red solo cup. The red solo cup protects the delicate root from light. The advantage is, you can monitor the root system of your cannabis (or tomato) plant by removing the clear cup briefly then placing it back in the red cup.

However you still need to place holes in both cups.

The Sultan of Sluggo

I have been refining my pot culture for vegetables and flowers over the years and the biggest challenge with most commercial potting mixes these days is they have a lot of wood and bark compost in them that is low in minerals and eats up all the nitrogen as the compost breaks down.

My solutions is to mix in one tablespoon of Osmocote essentials with minerals per gallon of soil and about a tablespoon of green sand per five gallons of soil.  The Osmocote releases the nitrogen and minerals as you water, so the nitrogen consuming bacteria in the compost does not eat it all up before the plants can use it.  My results have been excellent since I started this regime and the Osmocote lasts about three months even with frequent watering once the plants get large and start sucking up a lot of water in the hot weather.

Like already mentioned you need drainage holes and some commercial soils are better than others.  Some of the new age potting soils are mostly bark compost and they pretty much suck for gardening.

By the way those plastic victor traps work great.  I use them to keep the critters out of my tractors and sheds.  I have an occasion problem with squirrels digging in my pots and garden and I use a Squirrelinator trap to catch dozens of them.  Once you take out a few dozen you don't have any problems with squirrels for about two years.  When you use the trap pre-bait a flat area with sunflower oil seed for about a month and once you get a herd of squirrels feeding on the bait place the trap on top of the bait and add more seed as needed.  You will often get a number of squirrels in the trap within hours. Once I drown the squirrels I hang them on trees and bushes around my yard for the local hawks, owls, and foxes. 

Edited by Long Wader

"May your travels always take you to where the water meets the shore"