2023 Gardening

Rate this topic

32 mins ago, Steel Pulse said:

Really. Never had any issues with birds doing that in all my years with fruit trees. 

Last year I had a  bunch of buds then they flowered and when they were the size of marbles they all disappeared. 

There were a ton of birds in the trees I figured they were plucked off by the birds.

I got 1 apple

troll #122  <*)))<

3 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

They were just past flowered stage starting to form apples,I have pictures somewhere 

I know the orchards around me get hammered by deer.  Were they bitten off?  With deer it looks like they were nipped with scissors.

Edited by Jeff270

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Fruit trees over produce fruit and it is very common to have fruit drop. Small fruit disappearing is normal. If it did not happen naturally I would go in and take off fruit leaving only 2 or maybe 3 fruit per branch. That way you get much bigger fruit.I would also go in and summer prune the tree to get more sun in on the fruit too.  If you leave it all on you will get much smaller fruit. It’s much easier to take care of less fruit with spraying. If you not spraying or have a spray schedule your problem not going to get much edible fruit. Apples especially have so many pest that attack them it’s pretty much impossible without a good spray schedule. I gave up. I have a few trees left but I don’t spray them anymore. I do prune them which is a must with fruit trees but I don’t spray and hardly ever get any decent apples any more. 

https://www.thespruce.com/june-fruit-drop-1403308

what's the secret word for tonight

3 mins ago, Steel Pulse said:

Fruit trees over produce fruit and it is very common to have fruit drop. Small fruit disappearing is normal. If it did not happen naturally I would go in and take off fruit leaving only 2 or maybe 3 fruit per branch. That way you get much bigger fruit.I would also go in and summer prune the tree to get more sun in on the fruit too.  If you leave it all on you will get much smaller fruit. It’s much easier to take care of less fruit with spraying. If you not spraying or have a spray schedule your problem not going to get much edible fruit. Apples especially have so many pest that attack them it’s pretty much impossible without a good spray schedule. I gave up. I have a few trees left but I don’t spray them anymore. I do prune them which is a must with fruit trees but I don’t spray and hardly ever get any decent apples any more. 

https://www.thespruce.com/june-fruit-drop-1403308

Good read, thanks 

troll #122  <*)))<

4 mins ago, PaulS said:

Stupid question - but I don't know so....

Do I need to put on my grow light if I'm just putting my tom. seeds in now or can I wait until they start sprouting?  I will turn the heat mat on since they are in the basement. 

Not a pro.

I started my seeds with light on.

troll #122  <*)))<

• 3 weeks later...

Took seeds last year from a delicious Compari tomato last spring....well I started them a few weeks ago.  They all sprouted but they're all over 2 ft. tall now...  I can't transplant them , there's still a nightly frost threat here on the North Shore.  Wow, I had no idea they grew so tall, so fast.............

Edited by unskunk

21 mins ago, unskunk said:

Took seeds last year from a delicious Compari tomato last spring....well I started them a few weeks ago.  They all sprouted but they're all over 2 ft. tall now...  I can't transplant them , there's still a nightly frost threat here on the North Shore.  Wow, I had no idea they grew so tall, so fast.............

Wow 2' in a few weeks, 

Whats your secrets? 

troll #122  <*)))<

2 hours ago, unskunk said:

You started them too soon.  I did that a few years ago.  You may want to consider starting some over again because these are too leggy.

Rule of thumb is start your seeds 5-7 weeks planting them in the garden.   I'm starting all my tomatoes tomorrow.

The Sultan of Sluggo

3 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Wow 2' in a few weeks, 

Whats your secrets? 

just Miracle Grow Seed Starter, constant spraying with water, all under just a 60w incandescent light bulb for about 16 hrs. a day.

room temp was about 76 degs............

I start all my tomatoes this way and I'm telling you, I've NEVER had any of the plants this tall.......

Edited by unskunk