2023 Gardening

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, capesams said:

our town does the same but the guys load it up with sand and when it rains you get a pile of white sand so i guess i need to start making my own compost and i will write that info down thank you.

Yup, my soil has sand in it too.  I don't know if they add it at the dump, or it's just naturally occuring?  The soil in my yard has a lot of sand in it as well.

That's why I add all the dried cow manure and coco coir to try and loosen it up and prevent it from compacting. Also improves water retention.

The Sultan of Sluggo

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

Yup, my soil has sand in it too.  I don't know if they add it at the dump, or it's just naturally occuring?  The soil in my yard has a lot of sand in it as well.

That's why I add all the dried cow manure and coco coir to try and loosen it up and prevent it from compacting. Also improves water retention.

sand is to allow certain drainage from the roots..........

• 4 weeks later...
27 mins ago, capesams said:

SUNFLOWERS ANYONE INTO THEM?

I put the seed in the ground and put a cut in half water bottle over them to keep them from getting eaten.  After it sprouts I unscrew the cap. 

Makes a mini tereium. 

After the get tall enough I remove the plastic water bottle. 

I grow those giant ones..

troll #122  <*)))<

1 hour ago, capesams said:

SUNFLOWERS ANYONE INTO THEM?

I love growing them, esp the mammoths.  But the last 5 years they've become impossible to grow.

If the birds and chipmunks don't dig up the seeds hours after I plant them, something eats the seedlings as soon as they break ground.

I e tried the plastic bottle thing, along with a 20oz dunkin donuts cup.  The moment I remove it, something eats it during the night. I suspect deer.  I tried growing them in 10 gallon pots, but their root balls are so big it doesn't work.

A few years ago I grew some ornamental sunflowers in a large container. Smaller, but really elegant. But if I tried planting them in the ground I have no doubt something would eat them.

Edited by bob_G

The Sultan of Sluggo

my town makes loads of compost for the residents. As much as you want. Black gold. the only issue for veggie gardens is people bring all their leaves and grass clippings which usually means they use lots of chemicals on their lawns and for that reason i do not use it in my veggie gardens.  I do however use it in my flower beds. I make my own for my veggie gardens have been for years. 

what's the secret word for tonight