2023 Gardening

Rate this topic

18 mins ago, JimKu said:

Cucumbers growing like crazy with lots of flowers and almost no cucumbers. Doing some reading it sounds like I have mostly male flowers. What causes that?

The previously female flowers have self identified as male.  It’s become a lot more prevalent over the last several years, particularly with some of the newer hybrids.  

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

I have four raised bed gardens. 

In Garden three, the tomatoes are doing great, but all of the leaves are disappearing. 

Never had this before. No damage to tomatoes. 

I’ve been looking for those nasty horn worms but I don’t see any. 

IMG_1375.jpeg

Never too late to spray for blight unless the plants are truly dead. Spray - then wait to see if the plant picks up - usually does. Remove any foliage 9" or closer to the ground for ventilation. Remove any fully infected leaves. - as in no green at all. The plants may yet do a Lazurus - seen it happen often enough.

Puck - Ditch Troll #42 and Mouse #320, the Canadians  - Eh! At the Ditch for 50yrs

9 hours ago, Maine Guide said:

I have four raised bed gardens. 

In Garden three, the tomatoes are doing great, but all of the leaves are disappearing. 

Never had this before. No damage to tomatoes. 

I’ve been looking for those nasty horn worms but I don’t see any. 

IMG_1375.jpeg

Mine usually look the same on wet years like this. I don’t like adding any chemicals. I don’t do anything to them and still get plenty of tomatoes off of the plants. Water and sunlight is all my garden is getting this year, not even fertilizer and we have more tomatoes than we know what to do with. 

Early in the year we received some seedlings from an older woman that lives off of Hamilton Street here in Worcester.

Seeds her father brought over from Italy over 100 years ago have been nurtured and saved up to this day.

We got I think 5 plants, all are doing well fruit wise, but we are having a few problems with insects etc.

Planted up against a cement wall, south side of the house. Semi raised bed. Lots of city leaf compost, lots of household compost. Had a smattering of aged horse manure added late last year before winter.

Getting lots of these. I'd have more in the picture but we've had so many we're passing them around the neighborhood on a regular basis.

image.png.debc218a8f26c4e8d402330fca4c04f6.png

25 mins ago, woma said:

Early in the year we received some seedlings from an older woman that lives off of Hamilton Street here in Worcester.

Seeds her father brought over from Italy over 100 years ago have been nurtured and saved up to this day.

We got I think 5 plants, all are doing well fruit wise, but we are having a few problems with insects etc.

Planted up against a cement wall, south side of the house. Semi raised bed. Lots of city leaf compost, lots of household compost. Had a smattering of aged horse manure added late last year before winter.

Getting lots of these. I'd have more in the picture but we've had so many we're passing them around the neighborhood on a regular basis.

Remember the spags giveaways of tomatoes? 

troll #122  <*)))<

1 hour ago, woma said:

Hang onto those seeds.   Heirlooms that go back to Italy are as rare as hens teeth.

Have you tried them yet?

The Sultan of Sluggo