2023 Gardening

Rate this topic

Most of my tomatoes are doing fair to OK production-wise, but all are behind where they usually are for this date as far as ripening and size. Even though I got the plants in a little earlier than normal this year and they settled in and started growing well right away. 

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

Very frustrating tomato season.   All my plants are thriving, 7'-8' tall. Some are loaded with beautiful green fruits, plants 3' away have nothing, not even flowers.   

A couple have uncontrollably blight.  But the ones I was looking forward to like Bodacious and Mortgage Lifter have fallen short.   Early girl, summer girl and celebrity are great, they never disappoint. Of course, they're  hybrids. But once again the prize goes to stupice. Loaded with clusters of delicious golf ball size fruit.

I think that intense heat we had a few weeks ago promoted plant growth, but somehow damaged the delicate flower.  My dumb theory, ymmv.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Most everyone saw rain today, but two main belts got pasted. 

Screenshot_20230808_152641_RadarScope.jpg.b8ad9e24404fc1f93522b279437328fe.jpg

The bullseye around Andover and Lawrence received 5". Other areas in those two stripes saw a general 2-3.

Got lucky at my garden and escaped with only an inch or so. Had that swath by Andover hit me with 5?? all my cantaloupe would have split and exploded, from water pressure. 

29 mins ago, rst3 said:

Most everyone saw rain today, but two main belts got pasted. 

Screenshot_20230808_152641_RadarScope.jpg.b8ad9e24404fc1f93522b279437328fe.jpg

The bullseye around Andover and Lawrence received 5". Other areas in those two stripes saw a general 2-3.

Got lucky at my garden and escaped with only an inch or so. Had that swath by Andover hit me with 5?? all my cantaloupe would have split and exploded, from water pressure. 

Not much rain up here today. 

11 mins ago, gray gables said:

Not much rain up here today. 

Not sure where in Mmack you're at, but a relatively central Mmack weather station recorded 0.67". 

Screenshot_20230808_161438_Chrome.jpg.5872e2ab99b00acb3b1e7bb74d3fb210.jpg

I like those types of rainfall.

Anything between a half to an inch. 

It's enough to soak the ground and water deep, but not enough to flood the soil and cause problems with root rot or fruit burst. 

What sux is if you get 2..3...5"..... 

Ripening crop gets wrecked and/soil doesn't dry for a cpl weeks. 

Also annoying are stretches of popup "frequent showers"--

Wets the foliage and promotes fungus.. without getting any sort of real water into the root zone. It's like nature giving your plants an "eff you" golden shower just to be an ass

Here is a recipe for your fresh tomatoes:

Millionaires bacon deluxe BLT

Sprinkle garlic and onion powder on your sandwich bread to turn it into toasted garlic bread.

Maybe add a slice of swiss or a sprinkle of parmesan cheese if you like. 

Spread some mashed sweet potato across the bread. 

Perhaps a slather of mayo next. 

Sprinkle some brown sugar on the bacon and drizzle some maple syrup across that.

Put your $$$ bacon in there and close it up. 

Make a side dish of sliced cucumber and tomatoes with your favorite salad dressing.

Coat your salad with parmesan cheese.

Perhaps a few golden raisins for garnish and extra flavor.

Desert: Homeade key lime pie or your favorite. 

Worm Hatch Inspector.

Cucumbers growing like crazy with lots of flowers and almost no cucumbers. Doing some reading it sounds like I have mostly male flowers. What causes that?

butternut squash is doing great so it seems I’m getting pollination. 
bush beans didn’t do great this year. Had to start them a few times with the cold spring. I think slugs were getting them early on. Pole beans are going nuts and just starting to produce. 
tomato’s doing well getting enough perfect fruits.