2023 Gardening

Rate this topic

26 mins ago, TLap21 said:

Haha, that's just the first order to show up.  I am trying to downsize this year, but still have Jet Star and Brandywine tomatoes on the way, along with cherry tomatoes, zucchini, squash, lettuces, Swiss chard, and kale.  Herbs I grow year round for cooking duties.  It's a sickness!  Good luck with the purchasing willpower! :laugh:

The remaining purchasing will be mostly centered around planting supplies, maybe more planters, and whatever my wife chooses to buy seedlings of.

A lot of what I am adding should be perrenials or self seeding so its just always adding in more planting spots and finding the next item to add to the mix.  This year the enlosed garden is hopefully going to have wrap around flower beds.

I favor a functional plant over keeping up whatever the previous person choose for looks so my house has a lot of neglected beds which were let to grow over with weeds by the last owner.  The flower beds beside the house might not be eye catching but they sure made the meals flavorful!

9 mins ago, RAW said:

Maybe a dumb question/ do you put holes in the bottoms of 5 gal bucket? 

Yes, when I used plastic buckets I did. You need to in order to promote drainage. Otherwise excess water can sit on the bottom and cause root rot.

The Sultan of Sluggo

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Yes, when I used plastic buckets I did. You need to in order to promote drainage. Otherwise excess water can sit on the bottom and cause root rot.

Sorry, my tomato plants were growing thru, hard to move, 1/2” holes

18 hours ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Does anyone do vertical growing? That might not be the right term but it's when you stack your plants vertically to maximize yield over space used

I’ve got a greenstalk. I think it would be good if you had a very small space to work with, but I much prefer growing in raised beds.

I moved to a new house and there are loads of groundhogs/chipmunks/squirrels here. Any way to keep them out of the tomatoes? I am contemplating either building higher raised beds or a fence, but I think that’d only help with the groundhog and not with chipmunks/squirrels. I’ve tried a few of the sprays and they haven’t done much. 

22 mins ago, jmei said:

I moved to a new house and there are loads of groundhogs/chipmunks/squirrels here. Any way to keep them out of the tomatoes? I am contemplating either building higher raised beds or a fence, but I think that’d only help with the groundhog and not with chipmunks/squirrels. I’ve tried a few of the sprays and they haven’t done much. 

A 5 gallon bucket trap works well for chipmunks. Bunch of different ways to do it, but essentially a bucket, with a stick over the top, roughly 2.5 gallons of water in the bucket and a layer of black oil sunflower seeds on top of the water. They’ll jump in to get the seed and drown. Cruel, but effective.

I also have a bunch of groundhogs, so we built a fence around the garden with T-posts and 3’ hardware cloth. It was very effective in keeping out the groundhogs and rabbits. We have a bunch of chipmunks too, as well as a squirrel here and there and they seemed to leave the garden alone for the most part, EXCEPT for when we grew sunflowers along the fence line. The squirrels and bird destroyed them all once they went to seed.

Edited by JTR

Chipmunks are a curse.  Cute as hell, but unbelievably destructive.  Besides never ending attacks on my tomatoes, they cost me $11k this winter.

They built a huge nest inside my gas furnace over the summer. First time we turned the heat on this fall, my wife and I got carbon monoxide poisoning. Because the nest caught on fire as the furnace was running, and didn't vent out the chimney because it was blocked by the nest. While the nest burned, it burned out all the wiring and harnesses and ruined a perfectly good furnace.

2023 is going to be a bad year for chipmunks. Lots of payback coming.:mad:

The Sultan of Sluggo

These traps are big medicine on chipmunks.  Chipmunks don't stand a chance. Only problem they catch birds, and that's not cool. 

What I do is place them in a 5 gallon bucket with several 1.5" holes drilled in the bottom. Just big enough for a chipmunk. Bait with a handful of sunflower seeds. High impact kill bar baby!:devl: Adios Alvin.

IMG_20220802_113752.jpg

The Sultan of Sluggo

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Chipmunks are a curse.  Cute as hell, but unbelievably destructive.  Besides never ending attacks on my tomatoes, they cost me $11k this winter.

They built a huge nest inside my gas furnace over the summer. First time we turned the heat on this fall, my wife and I got carbon monoxide poisoning. Because the nest caught on fire as the furnace was running, and didn't vent out the chimney because it was blocked by the nest. While the nest burned, it burned out all the wiring and harnesses and ruined a perfectly good furnace.

2023 is going to be a bad year for chipmunks. Lots of payback coming.:mad: