2023 Gardening

Rate this topic

Tornado touched down a couple of days ago a few miles away (all we got here were strong winds for about 5 minutes and heavy rain - no damage to my veggies). Trashed a pile of new homes - bye-bye roofs . On another note I am selectively pulling my garlic - Music - great yield - the smaller stuff matures first and as the bigger ones come on I get the occasional "tennis ball". Was pulling plants out of the biggest bulb bed (I plant in "seed" size groups) and discovered a healthy colony of garden bees under the straw. Two stings - I do not react well and the anti histamines make me dopey so I am borrowing a bee suit tomorrow to pull the rest of the bed and remove all the straw except for a small home for the bees (still have tons of stuff that needs pollinating). Tomatoes still green but looking good. Trying a couple of blight resistant types developed at the University of North Carolina - will report back. The scientist is Randy Gardner - don't you love the last name?

Puck - Ditch Troll #42 and Mouse #320, the Canadians  - Eh! At the Ditch for 50yrs

Welp I'm effed.

Might be raising the white flag tonight.

After Sunday's deluge, the small central hail core of a very strong Thunderstorm appears to have hit the bullseye on my garden.

60mph winds and 1.0" quarter-sized hail. 

The nasty part of thing thing is tiny--like 3 miles wide-- plus the storm only existed at this strength for about 20min before weakening. Yet I'm pretty sure I got nailed. 

Going to be a painful commute home from work rn, knowing I'm probably going to see all my tomatoes knocked flat, and giant holes ripped through all plants' leaves. I've been hit by nickel sized hail that Swiss cheesed my leaves, but never 60mph winds and 1" hail falling at 120mph.

"Thoughts and prayers" currently being accepted for my plants...

What a total suck job for summer weather.

Screenshot_20230718_163824_RadarScope.jpg.2697763cee332b01c8104645848fd12b.jpg

KBOX-Super-ResVelocityTilt14_37PM.gif.1e5921c4d49ff64e1e0ba0031e526e0f.gif

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

41 mins ago, rst3 said:

Welp I'm effed.

Might be raising the white flag tonight.

After Sunday's deluge, the small central hail core of a very strong Thunderstorm appears to have hit the bullseye on my garden.

60mph winds and 1.0" quarter-sized hail. 

The nasty part of thing thing is tiny--like 3 miles wide-- plus the storm only existed at this strength for about 20min before weakening. Yet I'm pretty sure I got nailed. 

Going to be a painful commute home from work rn, knowing I'm probably going to see all my tomatoes knocked flat, and giant holes ripped through all plants' leaves. I've been hit by nickel sized hail that Swiss cheesed my leaves, but never 60mph winds and 1" hail falling at 120mph.

"Thoughts and prayers" currently being accepted for my plants...

What a total suck job for summer weather.

Screenshot_20230718_163824_RadarScope.jpg.2697763cee332b01c8104645848fd12b.jpg

KBOX-Super-ResVelocityTilt14_37PM.gif.1e5921c4d49ff64e1e0ba0031e526e0f.gif

nothing like that at my house in merrimack. 

On 7/18/2023 at 5:33 PM, gray gables said:

nothing like that at my house in merrimack. 

My folks house in Hudson is only 2-ish miles or so away from the garden. When I called them to see if they'd been hit with big wind or hail, my pops said nope. Just a regular Tstorm and torrential downpour. Not even any wind. 

At the garden: corn patch was blown down and the unsupported peppers were knocked over. Tomatoes in stake-reinforced cages were leaning but fine. A laundry basket was blown across the garden. 

Hail: No shredded leaf debris or holing in melon and squash leaves, so the small hail core missed. Big relief.

Luckily no corn or pepper stems actually snapped, so the plants weren't outright killed. Spent some time getting the corn back up vertical. Looks ugly but it's fine. And I've read that blown over corn will "gooseneck" some, as the upper part bends back skyward. 

All in all, guess everything is ok. Phew. Man I was sweating things driving up there. When I heard 1" hail, figured garden was a goner. For vegetables, that's like being hit by artillery or cannonfire 

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

I was down cape for several days came home to this. Left several more that probably could have been picked. 2 varieties. My best year ever for cukes. Now to start giving a lot of them away. 

IMG_2112.jpeg

Edited by Steel Pulse

what's the secret word for tonight

23 mins ago, Steel Pulse said:

I was down cape for several days came home to this. Left several more that probably could have been picked. 2 varieties. My best year ever for cukes. Now to start giving a lot of them away. 

IMG_2112.jpeg

Wow, nice Paul.  

Paul, question for you regarding Mortgage Lifter tomatoes.  We started from seed, all did great.  I grow in 10 gallon soft pots, well amended soil.  Fed weekly.

My MLs are all 6', pushing 7'! Some have a few green fruits, some of the tallest have nothing but flowers, but right at the top.

Is this common for this strain, or are they a late producer?

The Sultan of Sluggo

No. I am having same results with my tomatoes. Large tall plants and not many tomatoes and if so not close to being ripe. Not even loads of blooms. You would think I’d see good pollination with 4 bee hives 50 feet away but a head scratcher. Very strange year for me tomato wise. Last year was way better. Also last year my cukes did terrible. I see Bee’s all over my cantaloupe and watermelon blooms too. They are loaded with blooms. 

Edited by Steel Pulse

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Wow, nice Paul.  

Paul, question for you regarding Mortgage Lifter tomatoes.  We started from seed, all did great.  I grow in 10 gallon soft pots, well amended soil.  Fed weekly.

My MLs are all 6', pushing 7'! Some have a few green fruits, some of the tallest have nothing but flowers, but right at the top.

Is this common for this strain, or are they a late producer?

my Camparis are all 6 ft and over and just within the last week, started flowering like crazy

32 mins ago, Steel Pulse said:

No. I am having same results with my tomatoes. Large tall plants and not many tomatoes and if so not close to being ripe. Not even loads of blooms. You would think I’d see good pollination with 4 bee hives 50 feet away but a head scratcher. Very strange year for me tomato wise. Last year was way better. Also last year my cukes did terrible. I see Bee’s all over my cantaloupe and watermelon blooms too. They are loaded with blooms. 

Ok, thanks.  Now my stupice tomatoes are breaking records. Covered in flowers and clusters of beautiful fruit.  MLs are literally 3' away, growing like hell, and only a few flowers or fruit.   I grew MLs this year because I was so impressed with the ones you gave me last year.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Yeah disappointing so far. but hopefully they will rebound. I put in seedlings I bought. Even my cherry’s are way behind this year. 

Edited by Steel Pulse