2023 Gardening

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Anyone have any successful chipmunk eradication techniques? Tough to do the bucket of death with all the rain.

Why is the rain an issue?

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

8 mins ago, bob_G said:

Ok, take several 5 gallon buckets and drill holes big enough for a chipmunk.

Go to Home Depot and buy some of these traps with the high impact kill bar.

Bait the trap with some peanut butter, and toss a small handful of sunflower seeds in the bucket for smell. They can't resist sunflower.

Place the trap in the bucket, and let the carnage begin. Some days I catch them all day.

IMG_20230710_102423.jpg

IMG_20220802_113752.jpg

IMG_20230710_102445.jpg

:howdy:

troll #122  <*)))<

1 min ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Seeds getting soaked and falling into the bottom.  

I just float a handful on the surface, never had an issue with them sinking to the bottom.  Even after the victims do there best Mike Nelson imitation, the seeds are still floating 

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

3 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

I just float a handful on the surface, never had an issue with them sinking to the bottom.  Even after the victims do there best Mike Nelson imitation, the seeds are still floating 

Downpours ruined my setup and sank mine.

I'm going to change tactics 

troll #122  <*)))<

18 mins ago, bob_G said:

Ok, take several 5 gallon buckets and drill holes big enough for a chipmunk.

Go to Home Depot and buy some of these traps with the high impact kill bar.

Bait the trap with some peanut butter, and toss a small handful of sunflower seeds in the bucket for smell. They can't resist sunflower.

Place the trap in the bucket, and let the carnage begin. Some days I catch them all day.

IMG_20230710_102423.jpg

IMG_20220802_113752.jpg

IMG_20230710_102445.jpg

Bob, do you cover the bucket?  

Edited by Jeff270

3 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

Bob, do you cover the bucket?  

No real need to unless you want to keep it dry. The only reason I went the bucket route was I was catching birds.:(    plus I didn't want to mess with squirrels, skunks and racoons.  Only chipmunks.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Just now, bob_G said:

No real need to unless you want to keep it dry. The only reason I went the bucket route was I was catching birds.:(    plus I didn't want to mess with squirrels, skunks and racoons.  Only chipmunks.

That was why I asked!   We were catching birds which did not go over well. Have you had any issues with the birds go into the bucket?

5 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

That was why I asked!   We were catching birds which did not go over well. Have you had any issues with the birds go into the bucket?

Me too, I was catching catbirds, and I really like catbirds.  

This is my third year doing this, and all I catch is chipmunks and the occasional field mouse.  No more birds.

The Sultan of Sluggo

After two failures, I reseeded my cucumbers a third time.  100% germination, both outside and in the grow tent.

I'll never understand why the first two plantings failed? Maybe the soil outside was too cold?

The Sultan of Sluggo

On 7/10/2023 at 9:11 AM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I tried a can with a coat hanger drilled thru drilled thru the top of a bucket. So it spins. I smeared peanut butter on it. 

First day peanut butter gone nothing in the bucket..

My kids had a dog that liked peanut butter. Once he licked the roller clean, chipmunks wouldnt go near it. 

I am going to get a plastic flip top from amazon and try that.

Garden Weather Forecast

After a brief break of 2 dry and less humid days, tropical humidity and chances for more flooding rains will return this weekend. 

20230711_201625.jpg.03f39a11275ce6b89d3efe8303802756.jpg

Next two weeks:

Overall wet and stormy pattern is locked in and not going anywhere. Pattern is forecast to remain in place throughout the next two weeks.

Q: Mother of God.. when will it end??

A: No idea. No signs indicating a pattern switch anytime soon. 

Modeling shows persistent "trough-iness" over New England for the next two weeks. Not going to get any drier if you're always sitting under a trough. 

ezgif-5-e95d4985ab.gif.cbf0bd38cc56e370774389f6cf0ae44b.gif

> No big "Bermuda High" in sight. 

This past Sunday, areas of Vermont saw some of their worst flooding in a hundred years. Water heights in some rivers approached the levels of Irene(2011) and the flood of 1927.

20230711_020958.jpg.669ed3e1708117be9d2f0b2b6874e67d.jpg

11flooding-blog-carousel-WillistonVT-542p-qcfh-square640.jpg.bc0c95b0fe285ca20961641763696d3b.jpg

10flooding-blog-UVT-reader-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg.c22e2801306ca61f97d512bfc3c3ea12.jpg

On top of already saturated soils, a wide area saw 6+" of new rainfall 

20230711_182236.jpg.f09beeebfe9908f98aecaf58a6e9cf09.jpg

Edited by rst3

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

After a quick stretch of heat and sun.. and no rain... all plants responded with vigorous growth.

Especially the cantaloupe, which is in its maximum vegetative growth phase.  

I dont measure, but the vines now have to be running 2-3 inches per day. 

The melons are currently peach-sized, up from golf balls a few days ago.

Vining supergrowth will more or less end in a week or so, as the plants direct most energy to develop the fruits. 

Unfortunately more water on the way.

Line of Tstorms inbound tonight, with tropical deluges on deck for Fri and Sun

Should pick up another cpl inches of rain this weekend if the models are even close to accurate.

Q: How much rain has fallen this gardening season?

Inland areas received 2-3 months of rain in the past 30 days

20230713_223310.jpg

Edited by rst3

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea