2023 Gardening

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

I replanted both squash and cucumbers.  All sprouted. Something wiped out the cukes as soon as they broke soil, just like last time. The squash survived, and should be ok.

I haven’t had good luck with cucumbers the last two years. This year looks similar. The plants either died or are still just 6-8” tall. 

We have been covering our potted tomato plants with plastic over their cages to protect during downpours. Seems to have worked but now they are growing above the cages, so building a gantry tall enough to get them safely through their growing season. Also been hiding front entry planters under the overhang and the lemon trees under potting table.

IMG_8030.JPG

The blueberry harvest has started. Going to be an epic year. The branches are laying in the ground so ladened. Never had that happen before. First variety pretty much done. Several more to go. They are loving all this rain. Cukes are around 2” long, tomatoes looking good. Damn rabbit is eating my string bean foliage. Snap peas looking good. Broccoli has been harvested. Potatoes looking good. Everything looking great. 

Edited by Steel Pulse

what's the secret word for tonight

12 hours ago, Steel Pulse said:

The blueberry harvest has started. Going to be an epic year. The branches are laying in the ground so ladened. Never had that happen before. First variety pretty much done. Several more to go. They are loving all this rain. Cukes are around 2” long, tomatoes looking good. Damn rabbit is eating my string bean foliage. Snap peas looking good. Broccoli has been harvested. Potatoes looking good. Everything looking great. 

Rabbits are everywhere this year.I had to put a low wire fence around my dads beds.

30 mins ago, gregwa said:

Rabbits are everywhere this year.I had to put a low wire fence around my dads beds.

and because of it, both a fisher cat and a fox are roaming the streets in Danvers.........

I've seen them...............

2 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

Torrential downpours on and off overnight and this morning.

There predicting another 2or 3 inches possible this afternoon.

The totals are starting to look like snow amounts.

This rain is getting ridiculous 

I just replanted my cucumbers for the third time.:banghd:   I'm not a cuke fanatic, but I just refuse to accept defeat.

This time I replanted some in the soil, and as a a back up, we started another dozen in solo cups in the grow tent.  I don't know what insects are devouring them, but whatever they are, they're clearly immune to my bug spray.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Bob, one pest I wasn't aware of until a cpl years ago are Sparrows. They absolutely decimate seedling sugarsnap peas, and I recently saw them digging around my newly planted 2nd crop of beans(most of which mysteriously failed to sprout, and I lost everything but two lousy bean plants from 1st planting... hmmm)

Unfortunately I'm set up in a farm field adjacent to a dairy barn, and the local population of Sparrows is astronomical.

We had success keeping the birds off the peas by tenting with a row cover until the plants were about 8" high. After we removed it, the birds would land and eat the lower leaves, but at 8" the growing tip was now out of reach

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

1 hour ago, rst3 said:

Bob, one pest I wasn't aware of until a cpl years ago are Sparrows. They absolutely decimate seedling sugarsnap peas, and I recently saw them digging around my newly planted 2nd crop of beans(most of which mysteriously failed to sprout, and I lost everything but two lousy bean plants from 1st planting... hmmm)

Unfortunately I'm set up in a farm field adjacent to a dairy barn, and the local population of Sparrows is astronomical.

We had success keeping the birds off the peas by tenting with a row cover until the plants were about 8" high. After we removed it, the birds would land and eat the lower leaves, but at 8" the growing tip was now out of reach

rst3,

Thanks, but it's definitely not sparrows.   I grow my cukes in a 30x30x30" square trellised container.  I cover it with a 30x30" piece of 3/4"x3/4" vinyl coated oyster mesh. A snake would have a tough time squeezing through.   

So it's gotta be some sort of insects.

The Sultan of Sluggo

On 7/3/2023 at 8:20 PM, Steel Pulse said:

Sounds like you have a great garden. Do you put a lot of fertilizer or compost in? How do you protect your blueberries from all the critters that like to eat them? 

My garden is doing decent. It's just starting to take off after a slow start with the cold, wet spring.