2023 Gardening

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, JEFFSOD said:

Anyone else seeing spots on their tomatoes with all this humid and wet weather? Looks like Septoria

Yes. Early blight has raised its ugly head in our community garden.

Because of near daily downpours, been getting relentless splashback from the soil...transmitting blight spores in the soil onto the tomatoes.

I can't mulch or use a fabric barrier yet to hinder splashback because the soil is so saturated from the rains. Trying to get it to dry out some before I put down a covering.

Been treating with fungicide every five days during this stretch, hoping to minimize spore germination on the plants. 

Big difference in rainfall between regions in Southern New England.

20230629_190514.jpg.850d130a1973e172743f6b6a1189ef69.jpg

I'm just over the NH border in the Merrimack Valley, and it's been a daily monsoon these past two weeks. Add in cooler than average temperatures and higher than average cloudcover, and it's the perfect recipe for blight.

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

On 6/30/2023 at 9:10 AM, JEFFSOD said:

RST Thanks for confirming. 5 Day intervals seems more aggressive than what the label on the fungicide's recommend but makes sense with this weather pattern. I will adjust my spray schedule a bit earlier. I used Dacnonil this time.

Use the same stuff. Works pretty well. I normally spray once a week, but I've read a fair portion of the fungicide is washed off after 1 and esp 2 inches of rain (even after it's dried onto the plant rainfast, which takes about 6hrs in sun, low humidity and warmth).

My garden got repeated extremely heavy tropical downpours of 1-2" in last two weeks, which is why I dropped it to 5 days for time being. Looking ahead at forecast shows another stretch of weather instability and daily Tstorms, so I'll stay at every 5 or 6 days for now

Been raining 8 hours straight today. Endless heavy downpours.

Accumulation total since midnight. That colored swipe is where hvy rain trained over same area for 8 hours. 

Screenshot_20230702_154630_RadarScope.jpg.1ab859c5141411be646f73d45b6f36f9.jpg

Another 2" on the rain guage, and we're getting to the point where total crop loss is becoming a realistic possibility this week, with more very heavy tropical downpours in the forecast.

The farm field I'm in already has deep areas of standing water, and the soil has become anaerobic mud. 

If we lose crops (or the entire garden) to extreme rains, that would be the second time in three years. Separated by last year..which featured a strong drought.

Meanwhile, SE Mass is below normal for precipitation.

6 hours ago, rst3 said:

Been raining 8 hours straight today. Endless heavy downpours.

Accumulation total since midnight. That colored swipe is where hvy rain trained over same area for 8 hours. 

Screenshot_20230702_154630_RadarScope.jpg.1ab859c5141411be646f73d45b6f36f9.jpg

Another 2" on the rain guage, and we're getting to the point where total crop loss is becoming a realistic possibility this week, with more very heavy tropical downpours in the forecast.

The farm field I'm in already has deep areas of standing water, and the soil has become anaerobic mud. 

If we lose crops (or the entire garden) to extreme rains, that would be the second time in three years. Separated by last year..which featured a strong drought.

Meanwhile, SE Mass is below normal for precipitation.

I’m in SE MA and it’s rained almost everyday day for the last couple weeks. It hasn’t been as heavy as what you are getting but I haven’t needed to water my garden in a while. 

Took a closer look at SE Mass and seems like you guys are now back to normal or even slightly above(+1") for precip over past month. 

To the north: getting hammered again overnight. Endless slow moving tropical downpours. Stalled front draped over central mass just firing the rains nonstop. 

Screenshot_20230703_020236_RadarScope.jpg.8c4a7714403f482a95e19e33f5771a50.jpg

Pulling the row cover off my cantaloupe a little early. Normally wd keep it on another 3-5days to protect against cucumber beetles, til it's a jungle in there and the female flowers pop. But the much greater threat is now root rot over bacterial wilt spread by cucumber beetles. Need to get more air circulation and soil moisture evap in there pronto, or all the melon vines will chit the bed, collapse, and die in next wk or two.

Weatherwise, one of the worst summers I can remember in my garden.

A weather station near my garden recorded rain 18 out of the past 24hours. It's raining so hard now I can't even sleep, because it's so loud. 

Edited by rst3

Total garden rain last 24hrs: 3.5".

Which is a month's worth in one day.

Really don't want to see the state of my field rn. Expecting a lake. 

More storms forecast today and tomorrow, though "allegedly".. the strongest atmospheric forcing will be from the Pike, south.. instead of the reverse, which has been the case for weeks. 

I'll believe it when I see the radar...

Just need need one night no rain to try and get another fungicide treatment on after work..to have it dry before getting washed off in another deluge.

Not that fungicide matters any if the roots begin to go. Once that happens it's game over for garden, as there's no coming back from root rot 

My beach plums and Blue berries love all of this rain with a expected bumper crops if the birds leave me along once they begin to ripen Peace and Prayers 

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

1 hour ago, rst3 said:

Total garden rain last 24hrs: 3.5".

Which is a month's worth in one day.

Really don't want to see the state of my field rn. Expecting a lake. 

More storms forecast today and tomorrow, though "allegedly".. the strongest atmospheric forcing will be from the Pike, south.. instead of the reverse, which has been the case for weeks. 

I'll believe it when I see the radar...

Just need need one night no rain to try and get another fungicide treatment on after work..to have it dry before getting washed off in another deluge.

Not that fungicide matters any if the roots begin to go. Once that happens it's game over for garden, as there's no coming back from root rot 

Whereabouts do you live? I’m in Merrimack NH. 

3 hours ago, gray gables said:

Whereabouts do you live? I’m in Merrimack NH. 

I live in Lowell, garden on Litchfield/Hudson line

The core of that narrow but very heavy swath of rain was just east of Merrimack I think. 

Screenshot_20230703_121757_RadarScope.jpg.e34a1ef5ba1f43d4a4a7a5d1e0de3153.jpg

Edited by rst3