2023 Gardening

Rate this topic

I just received my seeds.

I was reading the packets and it mentions adequate calcium to prevent blossom end rot.

I believe I had this last year but still had a fantastic crop.

So what is used for this and is it prevention or just Wait and treat when or if there's a problem? 

troll #122  <*)))<

While blossom end rot is caused by a calcium deficiency, it's often not due to a lack of calcium.  It's usually caused by poor or inconsistent watering.  Most soil naturally contains all the calcium the plant needs. Plants such as tomatoes require water to draw the calcium from the soil, and up the stalk, through the branches, and ultimately to the blossom.   

If the supply of water is interrupted, the required calcium doesn't make it's way up the tomatoes plant, and blossom rot occurs.

To prevent this, make sure you water your plants on a regular basis.  Speaking for myself, I augment my watering by adding Calmag to my plants to make sure they get all the calcium they need.

Regarding treatment, you're far better off being proactive, and taking steps to make sure it doesn't occur in the first place.  Once it occurs, it's too late and cannot be corrected.

Edited by bob_G

The Sultan of Sluggo

4 mins ago, bob_G said:

While blossom end rot is caused by a calcium deficiency, it's often not due to a lack of calcium.  It's usually caused by poor or inconsistent watering.  Most soil naturally contains all the calcium the plant needs. Plants such as tomatoes require water to draw the calcium from the soil, and up the stalk, through the branches, and ultimately to the blossom.   

If the supply of water is interrupted, the required calcium doesn't make it's way up the tomatoes plant, and blossom rot occurs.

To prevent this, make sure you water your plants on a regular basis.  Speaking for myself, I augment my watering by adding Calmag to my plants to make sure they get all the calcium they need.

This is very interesting. Thank you Bob.

I will read about this Calmag. 

My water that I use it treated for hardness &radon.  I wonder if this had any effect on my buds?

I did water daily and had a great crop. I had the blossom end rot towards the end of the season..

How often do you apply this product? 

troll #122  <*)))<

2 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

This is very interesting. Thank you Bob.

I will read about this Calmag. 

My water that I use it treated for hardness &radon.  I wonder if this had any effect on my buds?

I did water daily and had a great crop. I had the blossom end rot towards the end of the season..

How often do you apply this product? 

I water my tomatoes daily.  I feed them once weekly. I add Calmag every other feeding.

The Sultan of Sluggo

I grow all .my veggies in 5 gal buckets so you all ways be putting fertilizer in the soil, I have put Tums for calcium,  Epson  salt for magnesium plus miracle grow,  Neptune liquid and tomato fertilizer every 2 weeks a d water every day, when really  hot 2 times a day, I go on YouTube to see what other people are doing in containers 

LIFE MEMBER OF THE , BRUINS, SOX, PATS, B-WARE HATERS CLUB... LIFE MEMBER OF THE CANADIENS, YANKEES, GIANTS...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

2 hours ago, riverside_eng said:

Do you use Calmag every other watering for all items in your garden or just the tomatoes?

I water my garden daily, but feed it once weekly. I use Calmag every other feeding. So it's every two weeks.  I also add it to my squash. Like tomatoes, they're heavy feeders and require lots of water, and also suffer from blossom end rot. The calmag helps them as well.

The Sultan of Sluggo

7 hours ago, bob_G said:

I water my garden daily, but feed it once weekly. I use Calmag every other feeding. So it's every two weeks.  I also add it to my squash. Like tomatoes, they're heavy feeders and require lots of water, and also suffer from blossom end rot. The calmag helps them as well.

Ah yes, I think lack of watering was a big thing that did my tomatoes in last year. (No surprise given lack of rain and falling behind due to sick household in August)

• 4 weeks later...

My seed order arrived today and so did another 12 double thick 1020 seeding trays (already have the inserts) plus I have a bale of Pro Mix HP in the garage so the seed racks (X-UP) get put up in the south windows and the hot peppers will be on their heating mats in a couple of days to be followed by the tomatoes and the onions. Other misc seeds after that. YAY!!

At the age of nearly 74 I would never wish time away but I do look forward to my garden. (I also allow myself a cold brew or two when I am done the garden chores).

Regards

Puck

Puck - Ditch Troll #42 and Mouse #320, the Canadians  - Eh! At the Ditch for 50yrs

34 mins ago, speedwell said:

My seed order arrived today and so did another 12 double thick 1020 seeding trays (already have the inserts) plus I have a bale of Pro Mix HP in the garage so the seed racks (X-UP) get put up in the south windows and the hot peppers will be on their heating mats in a couple of days to be followed by the tomatoes and the onions. Other misc seeds after that. YAY!!

At the age of nearly 74 I would never wish time away but I do look forward to my garden. (I also allow myself a cold brew or two when I am done the garden chores).

Regards

Puck

I'm in the same boat. Love gardening.

We bought another seed tray at the hydroponic store the other day. Has a high dome, and a removable tray so you can place water beneath.

IMG_20230206_111809.jpg

The Sultan of Sluggo

18 hours ago, TLap21 said:

First set of seeds just got delivered. Exciting time of year! 

This nice weather has me itching to get started. 

18FD86F5-96AC-4226-9914-55ECF3C824DB.jpeg

That seems like a reasonable amount of seeds compared to the pile that I got delivered of herb seeds and flower seeds.

Dove into the "for just $2 more" loop on things and ended up with a lot more than I planned on.  I think I have to plan on clearing more grass to make way for flower beds.

The daughter said she wanted to grow flowers to give to her grandmother's and now I seem to have about 100 grams in flower seeds.

Haha, that's just the first order to show up.  I am trying to downsize this year, but still have Jet Star and Brandywine tomatoes on the way, along with cherry tomatoes, zucchini, squash, lettuces, Swiss chard, and kale.  Herbs I grow year round for cooking duties.  It's a sickness!  Good luck with the purchasing willpower! :laugh: