NJTramcar

Cleaning mold from auto paint

12 posts in this topic

I just saw my daughter's car roof and the paint has mold.

What is the best way to clean it off without damaging the paint and should I use a microfiber was mitt or a soft bristle brush to loosen it off?

59 mins ago, CapeDave said:

Soap and water, pressure washer.

Won't a pressure washer damage the paint?

Go on you tube and do a search for cleaning classic cars. There is two guys on there and they use some type of spray foam to clean decades of mold and dirt off of cars. You can’t believe how good they come out.

5 hours ago, NJTramcar said:

Won't a pressure washer damage the paint?

If a pressure washer damages the paint the paint is bad.

Mix bleach with  parts water. When the bleach turns color use regular car wash soap and wash the car. If it’s absolutely horrendous you may need to use a light power washing. Most of the time I just spray kitchen cleaner on the mold and then wash the car. I did collision work for 35 years and we use this many times.

Man, I would never ask for car care advice on a fishing forum. How about simply washing it with soap and water. It will come right off without any special equipment or space age chemicals. If it’s been there for a while it may have scarred the paint in which case, clay bar it and wax it. Clay bars are a bit of work but they are effective on minor paint blemishes. 

Pressure washing is totally safe. Just don't use a 0o tip, use a 20-30and keep the stream moving. Every detailer video shows them using pressure washers, and I use the same on my car and boat. If you think about it, the DIY car washes have pressure washers in their bays. I doubt you'd need any strong chemicals for this.