Vise Suggestion for Flies And Jigs?

Rate this topic

Duckboat

I'm looking for a vise to tie both Saltwater flies and jigs.  No need for any small hook capability - don't see much need for anything smaller than a 6 or so.  Probably go up to an 8/0 for the larger jigs.  I want to tie surf candies so rotary will be a requirement.  I don't want to spend $500 if I don't have to but if the regal revolution with big game jaws is the answer so be it.  I know most here focus on the fly tying aspect but I tie just as many shad darts and jigs as I will flies so I want the capability to securely hold the leadheads (if that is even a concern as I haven't seen it discussed).  

Also, I like the versatility of the pedestal base but will that be the best answer for what I am looking for or do I want the c clamp for holding strength (again, with the larger jigs)?

Thanks

I looked at the Jurassic and it is definitely made for the big stuff.  Looks like that would be perfect for larger jigs and such.  The base is huge on that one so I don't think stability would be an issue.  I'm afraid that the hook retention system would be an issue for the smaller stuff.  I know, I know, everything is a compromise when trying to do it all.  I think I'm going to go with the Peak rotary with a set of the SW jaws and see how that works out for me.  

2 hours ago, 27conch said:

Why do you need a rotarty to tie surf candies?

Easiest way to apply epoxy on symmetrical shapes, I would think?

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

Yup.  I want the rotary function for applying/shaping/curing the epoxy.  

I've been using an old Thompson Ultra vise I received as a Christmas gift in the early 80s.  It still works but I think I can do better.  I've also used a workbench vise for heavier bucktails.  Time for me to join the 21st century.