MainelySmallies

Phase Gear Top?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

From what I can tell from their website Phase Gear is a new fishing apparel company that seems to be catering to surfcasters. They make a light top (the “sElement Top”) which they market as being designed as a light windbreaker for wetsuiting. I’ve been looking for something light like this for summer nights and it was only $80 so I ordered one. Hasn’t come yet. Anyone come across these before or used one? No idea what the quality or construction will look like but for $80 I was happy to take a flyer on it.

isn't this the Commanche Surfcasting guys brand? Interested to hear how it works out for you and your opinion on quality/construction. looks like a good warmer weather option as you mentioned.  

10 mins ago, surfstryker said:

isn't this the Commanche Surfcasting guys brand? Interested to hear how it works out for you and your opinion on quality/construction. looks like a good warmer weather option as you mentioned.  

Yeah I believe it’s his. I have an NRS splash top that I use when it’s cooler and a Stormr Swell for when it’s straight up cold, but those are both too heavy for summer nights when I just want wind protection. Hoping this is a good solution. But if not, I didn’t sink a ton of money into being a guinea pig. 

6 hours ago, MainelySmallies said:

From what I can tell from their website Phase Gear is a new fishing apparel company that seems to be catering to surfcasters. They make a light top (the “sElement Top”) which they market as being designed as a light windbreaker for wetsuiting. I’ve been looking for something light like this for summer nights and it was only $80 so I ordered one. Hasn’t come yet. Anyone come across these before or used one? No idea what the quality or construction will look like but for $80 I was happy to take a flyer on it.

I have one myself , I got it as a gift for Christmas so I haven’t been able to use it yet , but from holding it and trying it on in the house seems like a nice light weight top for them summer nights maybe even early fall 

Just now, Wave afterwave said:

I have one myself , I got it as a gift for Christmas so I haven’t been able to use it yet , but from holding it and trying it on in the house seems like a nice light weight top for them summer nights maybe even early fall 

Awesome, excited to check it out when it comes. 

Its a great light weight top. I usually run "Hot" and I like to layer up so its perfect for me. I was good with it up to December. I have a ton of there gear and its all great quality. Highly recommend it. 

16 mins ago, M A T T A said:

Its a great light weight top. I usually run "Hot" and I like to layer up so its perfect for me. I was good with it up to December. I have a ton of there gear and its all great quality. Highly recommend it. 

Sweet. I also run hot so that’s good to hear. 

Not into that gear type of apparel …. Summer nights hmm a t shirt under a fishing shirt … not a gear shirt … lol lol lol 

The surf top arrived a few days ago. Seems like high quality materials and construction. Definitely not too heavy. Should be perfect to cut wind over a suit in the summer. We’ll see how it holds up after some hard use. The front pocket is huge which I didn’t expect. Will come in handy. 

D36EF49F-3AEA-4B83-AC13-15C6BAD4F0B1.jpeg

Nothing from tihs company looks to be of any notable quality.....Looks like merch from a Fortnite video game streamer.

5 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Nothing from tihs company looks to be of any notable quality.....Looks like merch from a Fortnite video game streamer.

Lol can’t dispute the claim about the aesthetics. But I don’t care if I like look a Gen Z gamer in the dead of night. Who gives a s***?

But it’s also $90. Quality seems fine and on par with my NRS splash top which is notably warmer/heavier. If I have to replace it once a year at the price point I’m fine with that. We’ll see how it does. 

I talked to Pete about this top and tried it on at the striper day show. It seems perfect for what it’s intended. I will be purchasing it and using it for the cooler summer nights at the end of the jetty.

On 1/18/2023 at 0:01 PM, scoobydoo said:

They're not competing with pataguchi

I usually go through a "better" light rain top every year. Dwr and breathability is solid for the price. Nothing to rust and haven't blown a seam or worn out the lining yet.