fishless

January 2023 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

117 posts in this topic

It was good to see the rebound of fluke in both the surf and boats.  What I think everyone would agree on is what is really needed are many more Game Wardens hired and that they are given greater authority to arrest those who take undersize or over limit fish of all species.  Establish processing stations along the shore where those caught violating the regs can be arrested and not have to be hauled an hour away taking the Wardens off the scene for long periods of time. Increase the fines dramatically and payable at the processing centers.  As will the case of the illegals, they would have to pay at the center or be detained until someone can bail them out.  Do this enough and word will spread and you will see fewer violators.  Each processing station would have its own phone number to report violators so they can dispatch a warden quickly.  Mandatory penalties would be the fine per fish plus loss of all tackle including rods and tackle boxes and pails.  Those items to be sold at a surplus sale or donated to organizations who would get kids involved in fishing. Make sure the media makes the crackdowns a big deal so the word gets out.  Also wardens to fine those found to be dumping trash.  OK  I will get off my soap box for now.  

LowEnd the issue I have is while the bass regs. make sense, releasing the larger breeders to increase the stocks, why is it reversed for fluke, just keep the larger fish and let the little ones go?

12 hours ago, bill cunnane said:

It was good to see the rebound of fluke in both the surf and boats.  What I think everyone would agree on is what is really needed are many more Game Wardens hired and that they are given greater authority to arrest those who take undersize or over limit fish of all species.  Establish processing stations along the shore where those caught violating the regs can be arrested and not have to be hauled an hour away taking the Wardens off the scene for long periods of time. Increase the fines dramatically and payable at the processing centers.  As will the case of the illegals, they would have to pay at the center or be detained until someone can bail them out.  Do this enough and word will spread and you will see fewer violators.  Each processing station would have its own phone number to report violators so they can dispatch a warden quickly.  Mandatory penalties would be the fine per fish plus loss of all tackle including rods and tackle boxes and pails.  Those items to be sold at a surplus sale or donated to organizations who would get kids involved in fishing. Make sure the media makes the crackdowns a big deal so the word gets out.  Also wardens to fine those found to be dumping trash.  OK  I will get off my soap box for now.  

Not sure about last 8 to 10 years but NOAA was giving NJ close to a million $$ a year to help oversee fishery regs and illegal fishing operations.

fishing regulations is one small piece of pie. As human population increases more pressure is put on all fisheries. 

The Chesapeake has such a huge watershed they try but they just can’t control non point source pollution which certainly doesn’t improve reproductive numbers for Stripers and other species 

out west they had a problem with fingerling salmon dying off. After much research they determined tire residue (as your tires wear down all those tiny pieces got to go somewhere) were reacting with salt and brine used to melt snow and was killing young salmon. 

so many variables in play

9 hours ago, Artie Fishil said:

LowEnd the issue I have is while the bass regs. make sense, releasing the larger breeders to increase the stocks, why is it reversed for fluke, just keep the larger fish and let the little ones go?

I think it’s much the same. It gives the younger fish the chance to reproduce several times before becoming table fare.

Posted (edited)

On 1/28/2023 at 6:59 PM, bill cunnane said:

Game wardens should just drop them off to waiting local PD at the dock to soak in the tank until they either pay the fine, or go before a judge.  Frees them up to go back on the water or patrol the shore for scumbags.

Here in VA, a friend told me he got tagged by the local wildlife police for having two poles during trout season.  One pole was actively fishing, the other was laying on the ground, but it had a hook on it. So, it was considered "in play" -  $150 fine.  

So he thought he could just write a check and send in the fine.  Nope.  He was required to meet a court date, and go before a judge to answer to his charges of poaching wildlife.  This gets recorded in the local papers too!  Then he would get the opportunity to pay the fine.

He was hated that he had to take a day off work and drive to the county couthouse.  Otherwise, there would be an active warrant for his arrest.

He's much more careful now when fishing with multiple poles.

Edited by BillHoo

Whoever who him up should go back to officer school to learn about the regulation. Unless the line is in the water, it's not in use. You can have as many poles as you can carry. 

On 1/29/2023 at 5:26 AM, Artie Fishil said:

Sounds like a good idea but as we all know, the question is where is the funding coming from.

Funding comes from the taxes and fees on fishing and hunting licenses and equipment.  Hunting participation is way down so therefore so is the budget.

I would support a saltwater license if the money collected went back to fund DFW and enforcement as opposed to going into the state's general fund. 

49 mins ago, Sparky said:

I would support a saltwater license if the money collected went back to fund DFW and enforcement as opposed to going into the state's general fund. 

Unfortunately, that's not likely to happen  ... Even if they created a specific fund for DFW, that doesn't mean that the politicians wont raid the fund.... 

2 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

Unfortunately, that's not likely to happen  ... Even if they created a specific fund for DFW, that doesn't mean that the politicians wont raid the fund.... 

Or as it was explained to me by a GW, the money could be dedicated to that agency but how they use it is up to them.  For example, maybe there's a critical need for additional office workers, the money can be appropriated for that.  The money stays within the dedicated agency but does not help in adding additional boots on the ground so to speak.